Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-12-2006, 12:06 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I recently took delivery of a new Adventurer 38J and in the manual it states that it is not recommended that the unit stay plugged into shore power for "prolonged periods". We intend to camp in Florida for 3 months and I was wondering what I should do? Should I disconnect the coach batts?
Old 11-12-2006, 12:06 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I recently took delivery of a new Adventurer 38J and in the manual it states that it is not recommended that the unit stay plugged into shore power for "prolonged periods". We intend to camp in Florida for 3 months and I was wondering what I should do? Should I disconnect the coach batts?
Old 11-12-2006, 12:22 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

My manual says to hit the battery disconnect switch under those conditions.
If we are parked more than a week or so I do what they say.
Old 11-12-2006, 01:11 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Mooneypaul
My Vectra is connected to shore power for months at a time,but once a month I have a reminder come up on my computer telling me to start the generator and check the house batteries (water level).I installed the Flow-Rite Battery Quik-Fill kit,works perfectly.You will also have to charge the engine battery,I installed the Trik-L-Start,works perfect.
Ed Gardiser
Escondido,Ca.
04 Vectra
87 Nissan PickUp
FMCA
Ed Gardiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 03:02 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Hello mooneypaul. Commander11 here. Recently purchased a 2007 38j on the work horse. Haven't taken delivery yet(wednesday) but would be very interested in your comments/experiences to-date. Re- the subject of your thread.I think the battery disconnect switch should take care of your problem. Then your inverter/battery charger takes over vis a vis charging your batteries.No????
commander 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 03:57 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I suspect the issue is primarily the quality of the battery charger and its ability to float the batteries at a proper charge for long periods of time.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 05:51 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I replaced my stock converter/charger with this one. I also added the Charge Wizard, which has a mode select button and indicator light on it. This is a good system, and removes any concerns of cooking your batteries.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 06:15 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

My Owners Manual says:
"We do not recommend leaving the shore-line plugged in continuously during storage periods because the batteries can lose electrolyte fluids.........."

So you need to check the batt fluid levels frequently, particularly in hot weather. I'm full-timing & always stay plugged in. But I chk those house batts min every two weeks.

Also, on my rig, the Aux Battery Switch has no effect on the house batts ("Off" does not disconnect the house batts) when plugged into shore power. With the sw selected to Off, the house batts will be disconnected when shore power is unplugged. Same with the Alternator; the house batts (& chassis batt) will charge while driving, regardless of Aux Batt Sw position.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 04:02 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Thank you, they are great suggestions.
Old 11-13-2006, 04:35 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Some chargers allow you set the charge rate to zero which stops the charging of the house batteries. The manual for the Dimensions unit in my coach notes this as well. If you set it to zero, then need to remember to reset it periodically to keep batteries charged. Some units also allow the max charge rate to be 5amps, 10 amps, etc.
CWHTRAINS is offline   Reply With Quote