Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-21-2021, 12:27 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Progressive surge protector E1 error code

We have the 50-amp, hard-wired voltage surge protector that I moved from our old 5th wheel to our newer one. So of course when I got the E1 error code I rechecked my work. I even tried plugging it into a different outlet inside the house. Same.

A few years back I had the same problem and they suggested replacing the 30amp-15 adaptor. That's what it was.

I have a call into Progressive but it seems like everyone is running the Covid explanation but it's over two hours and no call back.

My question is how do you test to see if it's the adaptors? Is is the same one or could it be the 50->30 one? My EE major friend didn't know.

TIA,
phil
Phil Sikora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 07:03 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

error code

Forgot to mention that the E1 error code translates to reverse polarity.
Old 08-22-2021, 08:12 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

It sounds like you may be using multiple adapters. I'm not sure what you mean by "Is is the same one or could it be the 50->30 one?"

I'm not sure I understand how reverse polarity can be due to a bad adapter, but if it is, it could be any of the adapters being used. The manual defines this as hot and neutral wires reversed.

The adapters should be wired straight through, hot to hot, neutral to neutral, etc. This can be easily checked with a multimeter to confirm continuity from the female to male ends of the adapter. An adapter could have broken wires, possibly shorted wires, damaged connections, but reversed, highly unlikely. Since Progressive suggested this, it may be that a damaged adapter can trigger the E1 code for a variety of reasons. Note: If you're using multiple adapters (ie. 50/30 + 30/15) check them both individually and connected together.

Your house outlets can also be checked with a multimeter, this time reading the voltage from hot to ground (should be 110 to 120V) and neutral to ground (should be close to 0V). It's possible that an outlet is miswired, especially if it's been added or replaced, but unlikely that all the house outlets are miswired:

https://www.ecmweb.com/content/artic...the-receptacle

You can also get a simple 3-prong plug-in outlet tester at a hardware store to test household 15A/20A outlets:

https://www.amazon.com/Receptacle-Te...48716375&psc=1

You say you double-checked your work. I suggest you check it again since this is the most likely source of the problem. You should also do a continuity check between the two ends of your shore power cord, male to female. It's possible, although not probable, that the wire colors are mixed up inside the cord. If you're very careful you can measure the voltages inside the surge protector at the input terminals, neutral to hot, neutral to ground, etc.

For the future, 30A and 50A RV plug in testers are also available, which give you the added security of testing a shore power outlet before plugging in.

I'm not sure why your EE friend couldn't help you.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 09:59 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I should have mentioned, if you are using multiple adapters, you should think about having both a 50A/15A and a 50A/30A adapter so you don't have to use multiple adapters. Even if that isn't the source of your existing problem it's a good idea.
Old 08-22-2021, 11:03 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I don't know if this makes a difference regarding customer service. Power Products acquisition of Progressive Industries

I did claim warranty service after the acquisition and did NOT have a problem. Problematic one was replaced.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 11:53 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

problem solved

The surge protector wasn't lying: the extension cord from my Dad's with the new plug and taped end on it had the hot and neutral wires crossed.

Because my electrical knowledge is spotty at best, I did not know how to check the leads to help diagnose the issue. So thanks again for that. And sure enough once I substituted another extension cord, I heard the vacuum come on where my wife was trying to clean inside the RV.

I don't know why the 15-30amp adaptor was the culprit last time but it was. And that was what my EE major friend couldn't help me with.

Now onto the next pre-trip task (see my post today about a new fireplace, storage access door, and wine rack)...

phil
Old 08-22-2021, 01:18 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Good work, and thanks for getting back to us with the solution. Note that, with a plug in outlet tester, you can easily test extension cords as well as outlets. It's a good thing to have one on your RV and another one at home.
Old 08-22-2021, 07:25 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Good work, and thanks for getting back to us with the solution. Note that, with a plug in outlet tester, you can easily test extension cords as well as outlets. It's a good thing to have one on your RV and another one at home.
Is a plug-in outlet tester a simpler multi-meter?
Old 08-22-2021, 08:01 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Sikora View Post
Is a plug-in outlet tester a simpler multi-meter?
Not really but, in a way yes, at least in the sense that it automatically performs some the the tests you otherwise might perform with a multimeter. It's a limited purpose tester with indicator lights.

https://www.amazon.com/Receptacle-Te...48716375&psc=1