Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2015, 02:37 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Progressive Ind EMS-PT50C-? Anyone use w/AGS Surge Gd #41260?

Our 2013 Journey 36M has a Surge Guard Auto-Transfer Switch model #41260. Would appreciate hearing from others here:

1) can we / any benefit safety if we buy the Progressive Industries portable unit # EMS-PT50C?

2) what problems might that 2nd 'surge' type protection cause, or would it interfere with the auto-gen-start in our MH?

For example, if we add PI unit, power dip or surge when we are away for a couple hours..the PI unit shuts off power from pedestal (to protect MH electrical) --? Will the SG Auto Switch still turn on Gen and thus A/C to run with Auto Gen Start parameter "when electrical power cuts off"?

Hope I am explaining this example so you understand my concerns that if both
Pi and SG units used ..does one interfere with other in any way?

3) Last, if you use the portable PI, what do you do to prevent theft from pedestal when you are sleeping/or away from MH ?

Thanks so much!
BeHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 02:54 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Are you a belt and suspenders guy? The PI is a very good product, but doesn't provide any more protection than the Surge Guard ATS 41260 already does. The portable PI is easier to steal than the built in ATS unit, The Surge Guard is of coarse 'toast' the first time it does it's surge protection job, while the PI product can be returned and repaired.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 04:28 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

We experienced one of those summer lightning and thunderstorm events with a surge that did indeed fry our surge guard ats. The good news is that was all that got toasted.
So I replaced the surge guard. On our Tour, that was a fairly difficult task, as the surge guard ats is in the middle of the basement, not to mention it was 90 degrees 90% humidity.
I decided to get the Progressive Industries portable unit, just as an extra protection measure, and it would certainly be much easier to replace if hit again.
I chain and lock it to the pedestal, but that probably only keeps an honest thief from stealing it.
We rarely use the autogen feature, and I can't remember ever using it while connected to shore power, so no direct knowledge on that question.
Old 01-31-2015, 06:34 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

We have a 2014 Winnebago Journey 36M and use the PI EMS-50. I does not interfere with the autogen and as the OP said if our portable unit is damaged, it can be sent back and repaired much more easily than the installed surge guard.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
donnariley53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 07:01 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Years back I bought a 25' (?) 50-amp extension for those times when my installed cord wouldn't reach the power post in a campground. So now my Progressive portable stays inside my power bay (main cable plugs into it there) and I run my extension cord out to the post. That way the Progressive's out of the weather and out of sight.
emiddleb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 10:15 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks to all, really appreciate info.

Steve coh - your experience w fried surge guard is on target one of my concerns, thanks!

Donnariley53 - thanks for confirming pi ems 50 won't interfere w autogen.

Emiddleb - like your suggestion for way to keep portable ems 50 inside MH and out of sight, yet portable unit, thanks!

Next Qs for Emiddleb & others who may use extension
cords...

Which brand / wire guage / assume 50-50 & dogbone (yellow w handle on top?) ends do you use?

Have been told possible "slight voltage loss w extension cord," and/ or, "heat may be generated at connection OEM cord w extension cord"?

Since so far, we have not purchases nor used any extension cords w our MH, any additional comments / info on these Qs would be appreciated. Thanks again in advance...this group is a valuable and much appreciated resource!
BeHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 11:25 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I don't remember the brand on my extension cord (RV is stored for winter.) It was a C-World purchase, as heavy as my OEM cord. Figured pretty much a one-time purchase so went with a quality heavy-duty one. Got caught one time unable to reach a shared power post in a state campground and said 'never again.'

As far as heat, never felt any. Voltage drop? Maybe an electrician with a meter might show some but in 5 years of doing it this way (built-in cord-on-reel -> Progressive -> extension cord/post) never had a problem. I do annual maintenance on the cords (cleaning plugs, checking for breaks etc.)

As others have said, one of the benefits of Progressive is the ability to repair it. The hard-wired version is cleaner and more 'elegant' but on the other hand if it does fail (due to a surge or whatever) then the portable is easier to return for repair.

In any case, it works for me; the unit is protected from the weather and light fingers and no issues with power/heat etc.
emiddleb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 04:07 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I have two power grip 30' 50 amp extension cords.

When I've needed to use one or both of them, I haven't experienced any heat or voltage issues.

They are a little cumbersome to roll back up, especially when compared with the cord reel, so I only use them when needed.

There are times when you need one, I would recommend the power grip ones.
Old 02-04-2015, 12:09 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

I self installed a Progressive EMS-LCHW50. Put inside my power bay. Installed just fine. It is separated from the Gen. Have had no issues. Yes if there is a power surge it will cut off power to the RV. I have had an electrical device short an almost self destruct...PRIOR to installing the Progressive. Hopefully this will not happen again.
A suggestion is the web site for Progressive you can look at the manual for the unit and see how they are installed and work. They also have an excellent tect support folks.
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 06:44 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

The PT EMS is the most expensive, and with that comes the easy option to move it to another MH without alot of effort. Keeping it plugged into the 50A outlet in the power bay makes theft a non-issue.

For those of us that change MHs, what would be the down-side to getting a PT EMS instead of a HW?
Old 05-29-2015, 07:08 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

I had mine in a bay as well.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1432904662.596819.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	95559

The advantages of a HW might be to be able to have another read out in the rig ( costs extra ) and if it needs to be replaced due to an electrical spike . The HW has a board they will send you to replace. The portable has to be returned for replacement. I didn't have room to install the HW where it needed to be otherwise I would have opted for it .

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 08:32 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I'm fortunate to have lots of room in the bay, so my plan would be to plug the PT EMS into the Marinco socket, cord into the EMS, then complete to the pedestal.

Anybody see a problem with that plan?
Old 05-29-2015, 06:45 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

One item that had not been mentioned is your surge guard transfer switch does not protect you from high or low voltage. It only protects you for a spike. You really need both.
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 07:13 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dengraham View Post
One item that had not been mentioned is your surge guard transfer switch does not protect you from high or low voltage. It only protects you for a spike. You really need both.
Until these threads, the thought of high or low voltage never entered my mind. Now I can understand how a CG can experience brown-outs if everybody is using A/C.
Until I decide on which EMS to get, I have the SSP50 and will attach a Kil-a-Watt to an outlet in the MH, so I can actually see the voltage coming in.
Old 05-30-2015, 07:26 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
Until these threads, the thought of high or low voltage never entered my mind. Now I can understand how a CG can experience brown-outs if everybody is using A/C.

Until I decide on which EMS to get, I have the SSP50 and will attach a Kil-a-Watt to an outlet in the MH, so I can actually see the voltage coming in.

Unless your watching it 24 hours a day , you won't catch the high or low voltage that can ruin your day. The EMS will do that for you. It's like the old Fram oil commercial " pay me now or pay me later "

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 06:54 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
Unless your watching it 24 hours a day , you won't catch the high or low voltage that can ruin your day. The EMS will do that for you. It's like the old Fram oil commercial " pay me now or pay me later "

True that, Cliff!
The remote display seems to be an obsession for some. I just let my PI do what it does. No looking, no worries and a lifetime warranty is plenty good for me.
Happy Trails
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
auto gen start, progressive industries, surge guard, surge protector