Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2020, 07:33 AM   #1
Happily Retired

Problems with Magnum 1000 watt inverter in Outlook 25J

We have a 2019 Outlook 25j. It is equipped with a residential fridge that runs on AC power. The coach was furnished with a Magnum 1000 watt pure sine wave inverter. The inverter only works part of the time, usually for 3-5 hours then it will give a series of beeps and shut off completely. At that point I’m unable to get it to turn on from the inverter switch at the panel.

The indicator at the panel shows full batteries, so it’s not low battery. I have 2 100 ah Vmax Tanks AGM installed a month ago. All of the DC circuits are fully functional, so I’m sure we’re not looking at a battery problem.

Any ideas or advice will be appreciated.
Old 07-07-2020, 08:43 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

What error code does it display when it quits?
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 08:53 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I think you're within the warranty period - recommend a call to Magnum. They've helped a lot of us with issues. Another option is a review of their manuals - some of it is 'over my head' but has helped do some quick fixes.
Old 07-07-2020, 09:57 AM   #4
Happily Retired

Error code

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
What error code does it display when it quits?
I just checked it (not easy because it’s under a drawer) and it said e05. I looked it up in their manual and it says the voltage is low. Reading says 11.2 - 11.4. I’m not sure the connections are good, as the panel shows the battery fully charged. It’s either that or the unit is defective. When I had it on voltage read 11.2 and the AC output was 400 watts. I think I’m going to call Magnum.

As I was testing, I turned the converter and the refrigerator breakers off, then turned the inverter on. It read 11.2 for a couple of seconds, then switched to 12.8. I think the inverter is a little wonky or the cables are problematic.
Old 07-07-2020, 11:12 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

While you have stated it is not a battery problem, it seems to indicate that it is, so you might review why you think the batteries are charged as voltage readings can be very easy to mislead us. How and when you are reading the voltage makes it very easy to think they are charged when they are not, except for the surface charge. Did you read the voltage shortly after or during charging? I might suggest doing a full blown battery charge and check as the most likely problem.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 01:33 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
While you have stated it is not a battery problem, it seems to indicate that it is, so you might review why you think the batteries are charged as voltage readings can be very easy to mislead us. How and when you are reading the voltage makes it very easy to think they are charged when they are not, except for the surface charge. Did you read the voltage shortly after or during charging? I might suggest doing a full blown battery charge and check as the most likely problem.
The symptom that makes me agree, is the way it works fine for 3-5 hours, then shuts down. As if the power is being depleted at a faster than expected rate. That would be either the overall average load is too much for the bank size of the batteries without recharging, or there's something else intefering with a more normal length of time to discharge, causing the inverter to shut down.
Maybe even checking that all the cables are firmly attached and not corroded inside the terminal ends. Check them for tightness, too. I had one cable turn to green powder inside the terminal end, and didn't see it until I gently tested the cable by pulling on it. The cable pulled right out of it.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 06:24 PM   #7
Happily Retired

OK, I did some more checking. My coach is hooked to power at my house, so I turned the converter off for 6 hours and measured the voltage at the batteries. 13 volts. Then I turned on the inverter. My immediate code was E01 - voltage below 10.5. It turned off immediately and I waited about a minute and turned it back on. The inverter reports voltage in 11.6 -11.7. At this point I think it is a problem of the cable to the inverter. All the connections under the step are good and tight, so i might have to find a way to check/tighten the cables at the inverter.
Old 07-08-2020, 06:41 AM   #8
Site Team

Tjwoody, I’m with the folks that think you’re getting false reading on your batteries.

Here’s the thing. Fully charged batteries would show 12.8v at most. So your reading of 13v indicates that a charge of higher than 12.8v is or was recently being applied. It’s normal for your charging system to apply a charge higher than 12.8v and that may appear on your volt meter as a surface charge.

From what you describe... I’d agree it’s low battery charge that causing the inverter to beep and shut down.

You might have one bad battery, or they just may not have enough time to fully recharge on the stock converter. Good luck and let us know what you find out.
Old 07-09-2020, 06:34 AM   #9
Happily Retired

OK, I left the converter off for 20+ hours and checked the voltage of the batteries. The reading was 12.79. Right where it should be. The inverter still shows low voltage Specifcally I see 2 error codes, E05 low input voltage, and E01 < 10.5. There is definitely something going on between the battery and the inverter. As I said in my initial post, the batteries are new. They are 2 100 ah Vmax Tanks AGM. I think I’m going to have to have a tech look at it because this is beyond what I can fix due to back and neck issues. I can’t lay on the floor trying to get to the inverter under the drawer.

The other thing I did this morning is download the electrical diagrams. I looked at the under step wiring and checked the voltage to the inverter after the fuse and it was 12.75.
Old 07-09-2020, 09:36 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

i certainly don't know exactly what's happening with your inverter / charger - but have learned a lot of lessons dealing with my coach's electrical gremlins.

Before you engage a tech at quite an expense, may I recommend you call Magnum and talk with their techs. They may lead you to a soft or hard inverter reset - or some other diagnostic - that you could do.

Please do let us know what results in this situation - we all learn! Thanks ...
Old 07-09-2020, 09:39 AM   #11
Site Team

It's true that some inverters require a reset button be pushed after a low voltage shut down. You'd think (hope) that wouldn't be the case for one buried under a cabinet.
Old 07-09-2020, 03:13 PM   #12
Happily Retired

I contacted Magnum Dimensions and first they said that the inverter need to be replaced. I asked how to reset the inverter and he replied to disconnect the positive battery cable for at least 5 minutes. Of course I didn’t replace the cable, I just pushed the button and disconnected the house batteries, went inside. I came out a half hour later and turned on the inverter and - voila - it turned on. The voltage read 12.9 and the refrigerator and the tv came on just fine.

So now I know, turn off the house batteries for about 5-10 minutes and off we go.
Old 07-09-2020, 03:31 PM   #13
Site Team

Great. But I'd suggest that now you know your fridge can drain your batteries pretty quickly. I'd assume in your initial post you were seeing that behavior from batteries that were not at a full charge. Or at least hope that's the case.

On my Magnum inverter, I upgraded to a more capable remote display and it lets me set the LBCO (Low Battery Cut Off) voltage. I don't know if your inverter has that option.

Those Vmax AGMs should be good for more than 3 to 5 hours. You'd hope so anyway.

Perhaps, you saw this happen because you were using other devices on the inverter and the combination of the fridge and those devices triggered the LBCO?

One more perhaps... perhaps you need to look into 400 to 600 watts of solar panels to help the fridge run longer on inverter power?
Old 07-09-2020, 04:05 PM   #14
Happily Retired

Actually, it was just after leaving a campground with full hookups, so the batteries were completely charged.

Tags
ems, inverter, problems