Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2012, 02:13 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Problem with Intellitec Powerline Energy Mgmt System

A couple days ago we were staying at Neys Provintial Park in Ontario Canada when a strong thunder storm passed through. Lightning hit a few feet from the motorhome and srared us half to death. At the time we didn't notice any problems. In the morning however when I looked at the Energy Management Panel all the lights designating what type of service we were connected to (20 amp, 30 amp, 50 amp & generator) were on. The digital display now reads 88. regardless of what we have running.

In addition when running the generator the 20 amp circuit breaker for the water heater buzzes in a cyclical manner even though the water heater is not turned on. When I shut off the water heater curcuit breaker the buzzing stops, but the energy management panel goes blank.

When connected to shore power there is no buzzing sound from the water heater circuit breaker, but the energy management panel still goes blank when I shut the circuit breaker off.

All the appliances including the water heater sill seem to function properly. Has anyone run into a similar situation, and if so what was the cure?

Thanks in advance, hikerdogs
Old 07-25-2012, 02:41 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Have you checked the EMS manual on how to do a reset?
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:01 PM   #3
KIX
Winnebago Master

Once upon a time I had the same issue you report. Here are the things I did to get it up and running again........I don't remember which one actually fixed it.
1. Disconnect positive battery cables
2. Snap display bezel off and remove the EMS display panel......then unplug it for a few minutes.
3. Disconnect shore power cable for a few minutes
4 Disconnect water heater wiring at wh breaker for a few minutes. Make sure power is disconnected.
One or a combination of these things worked for me. Sorry i can't remember more
Old 07-25-2012, 03:42 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
Have you checked the EMS manual on how to do a reset?
I have a copy of the installation and trouble shooting manual. I've resd through it a couplr times but don't find anything as far as resetting the system.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:15 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

My EMS center has had erratic display a few times. To reset, a tech told ME to unplug the network/lan type cable (large phone line) from either the back of the panel, OR at the other end from the inverter. Leave it unplugged for at least two minutes, then reconnect. It has worked for me each time I had blank and/or erroneous display.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:37 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I had problems with mine last summer due to fluctuations from a defective breaker in the power pedestal and overloads in the RV park. I turned the coach AC power on and off with no impact. I found out that turning off the house batteries turns off the control portion of the EMS and that reset/fixed my problem. KIX's suggestions will accomplish the same thing. The manual for the system also suggests checking the 3 amp fuse on the control board to insure it hasn't bown. The control board in my coach is at the bottom of and inside - the AC distribution panel. You will also be able to disconnect the wiring to the display there on the board. You will want to do this with the coach power cable disconnected from the pedestal and the inverter turned off to insure the feed is not live in the panel.
Don't be fooled by the use of the words "EMS". The system is really just a load shedding system that adjusts loads with peak usage. It is also possible that the lightning caused a significant surge on your power lines when it struck. This could have damaged the system, the breaker and possibly other components. You might want to consider getting a true EMS going forward.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 04:02 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I'm happy to report the problem has been resolved. Originally I called the Intellitec "Tech Line" only to find out it's at least temporarily out of business. The person answering the phone said the company was merging with another and moving to a new building. They expected the move to take about 2 weeks and thought the tech line "might be" restored at that time.

When I asked where I would be able to get technical help in the mean time she advised me to call Winnebago and find out where the nearest authorized Intellitec dealer was located. The conversation deteriorated from there and it was obvious she had no interest in helping me or directing to someone who could.

I took a chance and called the Winnebago service department at the factory in Forest City. I was pleased to find out I could bring it in the next day without an appointment. We immediatly packed up and hit the road. 6 hours and 275 miles later we set up for the night at the factory campground and waited for the service department to open at 7:00 am the next morning.

7:00 am sharp the next morning when the doors opened I spoke to a service writer and explained the problem. By 2:00 pm the problem was resolved and we were on our way back home. It seems the lightning strike had taken out the circuit board. Since it was now an obsolete system the original digital display wasn't compatible with the new style board so essentially the whole system had to be replaced.

We left a little lighter in the wallet, but not as bad as I had expected. The entire system was installed for less than I got quotes for the pieces. Had I been certain the entire system needed replacement I could have saved the money we spent on gas for the trip to and from Forest city. In the long run the money was well spent all things considered
Old 08-04-2012, 06:52 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Hikerdogs,
Thanks for reporting on your successful result. So often we hear about a problem and never find out how it was fixed. Glad you had a good experience at Forest City and everything is now working properly. I am curious as to the name of the new system?
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:39 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dengraham View Post
Hikerdogs,
Thanks for reporting on your successful result. So often we hear about a problem and never find out how it was fixed. Glad you had a good experience at Forest City and everything is now working properly. I am curious as to the name of the new system?
It's still an Intellitec system. There is no visual difference between the displays. It's the second generation unit that fits the 2001 vintage motorhomes. I only have the Winnebago part numbers since the Intellitec numbers are embossed on the boards and the system is already assembled in the motorhome.

The Winnebago part number for the monitor panel is 127002-10-000
The Winnebago part number for the control module is 127002-11-000
The Winnebago part number for the current sensor is 127002-07-000

The new system also requires 2 new plugs
The Winnebago part number for the 3 pin display panel plug is 127002-11-701
The Winnebago part number for the 4 pin plug on the main circuit board is 127002-11-702