Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2010, 10:25 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Powerline monitor

When I am plugged in at home on a 20 amp circuit, I hit the button to show a 20 amp connection, not a 30 amp connection. I ran the A/C and the amperage went to 20 or more amps on the monitor. After a while the breaker in the house blew as expected. I just took it in for service this AM (mainly for the jacks) and the service tech said to not expect the system to shed loads as claimed. That is just how it is. Doesn't sound right to me. When set to a 20 amp incoming service, it should only allow 16 amp max in demand (80% 0f a 20 amp circuit). Should I expect more? He said to just manually adjust loads to match your service capacity.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:24 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Your system is essentially the same as the one in our coach. Our AC will draw a consistent 20 - 21 amps with both compressors running and all other loads shed. It takes 13 - 14 amps to run a single compressor and to do that you have to have the "set" temperature within 2* of the actual temp shown on the thermometer.

You may have other factors entering into the equation causing a higher than expected load. The inverter/charger is not monitored and is considered a "fantom load". Another thing could be tight or failing bearings on the AC blower motor shafts.

Before we took our coach in for AC service last year you could hear the rumbling of failing bearings when you stood outside near the rear of the coach with the AC running. The extra load on the motor was increasing the draw to 19 amps for a single compressor and 24 - 26 amps when both compressors were running.

The system can only shed loads to allow the highest priority load to continue running. If the priority (and only) load is drawing more than the breaker can handle it will trip it.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:03 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

What loads were not shed before the breaker tripped?

My unit will only shed 4 items, WH, Hi fan, Comp2, and refer.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:19 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
It takes 13 - 14 amps to run a single compressor and to do that you have to have the "set" temperature within 2* of the actual temp shown on the thermometer.
That is a new and useful piece of information, thanks.

Quote:
What loads were not shed before the breaker tripped?
All four of the lights were lit, telling me that nothing was being shed.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:18 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

As for the lights on the monitoring station, they only go out if the appliance was working and then shed. For instance if the water heater was working in the electric mode when the amperage draw exceeded the set level on the monitor the Powerline Management system would shut it off and turn off the light on the panel. If it wasn't working at the time the light would remain on.

Our management center has an inductive sensor around the incomming power wires in the main 120V breaker box. You have to remove the front plate of the box to see it. Someone may have removed it trying to keep the system from shutting down under high loads. The leads from the sensor plug into the rear of the monitor panel. They may have worked loose over time.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:48 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

You can manually shut off the breaker to the second compress and set your thermo to >2 degrees. Manually switch everything else off electricity. If I am running ac on 20 amp it is an unusual "desperation" act.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 05:11 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

MaverickBBD: Probably been a lot of "desperation" times for many of us. LOL, but true.

Kerry
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 09:21 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

The inductive pickup on my '05 Adventurer is just behind the auto transfer switch and can be viewed by pulling out the bottom drawer to the left of the makeup desk in the bedroom. Once the drawer is out the wiring to the main panel is visible through a hole in the floor as well as the pickup.
inspectorudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 12:21 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

This may seem a little obscure, but have you ever cleaned the plug on your power cord? We're at GNR now and last night we had a problem keeping both the AC compressors working on 30 amps.

We have a 50 amp cord and I've cleaned the plug a couple times over the years with emery paper. At GNR we have to use a 30/50 pigtail because only 30 amp service is available in our area. After having the power management center shed all loads including #2 compressor I went out to check the service. The socket end of the pigtail was warm so I took one of my wifes finger nail emery boards and cleaned both the plug and the socket connectors. WALA good connection, no plug heating up, both compressors working everything's cool again.