Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2008, 01:44 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Serviced the basement A/C today, not too bad, only took an hour or so.
I have a couple questions for you experts out there regarding the PowerLine Management System status lights, etc.
Here goes.....

Coach hooked up to 30amps, A/C been running for about 20 minutes after cleaning, thermostat set at 73 degrees, temp. on gage coach shows 84 degrees.
Amp load shows 22 amps., Power status lights lite up for; water heater (not turned on), fridge (not turned on), A/C #2, and fan speed (fan set to low)
Question #1 What's with the lights?
#2 Used laser thermometer to read interior of coach, various areas, showed 76 degrees average, but thermostat showed 84 degrees. Where is the coach's temp. reading taken from?
#3 How do I know when the second A/C unit is on when I am hooked up to 30amp service?

One other note, temp's were taken at the ceiling A/C outlet vents and they averaged 56 degrees.

Any comments?????

Thanks,
2002 W-22 266"wb, Winnebago Chieftain 39T, UltraPower, Koni's, Helwig bars, Nuvi 660, Sirius, Scan Gauge II, Sentry TM. 2003 LW300 Saturn toad, Sterling towbar & Apollo brake. And Hannah the Princess and Stevie the Dude!
Daysu47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 01:44 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Serviced the basement A/C today, not too bad, only took an hour or so.
I have a couple questions for you experts out there regarding the PowerLine Management System status lights, etc.
Here goes.....

Coach hooked up to 30amps, A/C been running for about 20 minutes after cleaning, thermostat set at 73 degrees, temp. on gage coach shows 84 degrees.
Amp load shows 22 amps., Power status lights lite up for; water heater (not turned on), fridge (not turned on), A/C #2, and fan speed (fan set to low)
Question #1 What's with the lights?
#2 Used laser thermometer to read interior of coach, various areas, showed 76 degrees average, but thermostat showed 84 degrees. Where is the coach's temp. reading taken from?
#3 How do I know when the second A/C unit is on when I am hooked up to 30amp service?

One other note, temp's were taken at the ceiling A/C outlet vents and they averaged 56 degrees.

Any comments?????

Thanks,
2002 W-22 266"wb, Winnebago Chieftain 39T, UltraPower, Koni's, Helwig bars, Nuvi 660, Sirius, Scan Gauge II, Sentry TM. 2003 LW300 Saturn toad, Sterling towbar & Apollo brake. And Hannah the Princess and Stevie the Dude!
Old 07-05-2008, 02:09 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Question #1 What's with the lights? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The lights tell you what power is AVAILABLE for, not what is actually turned on.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">#2 Used laser thermometer to read interior of coach, various areas, showed 76 degrees average, but thermostat showed 84 degrees. Where is the coach's temp. reading taken from? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The thermostat controls the ac and tells you the temp where it is, BUT where the thermostat is located makes a lot of difference. Front area is always warmer in our coach, heat sources near thermostat can skew it, etc. AND, if a vent is turned where it is blowing on/toward the thermostat, that can skew things.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">#3 How do I know when the second A/C unit is on when I am hooked up to 30amp service? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
With one compressor on I normally see 17-18 amps, with both compressors on I will see 23-24 amps. I never run the WH on electric when on 30a. I do run the refrigerator on electric. If you are seeing 22 amp on the display with nothing else running (including battery charger -- if batteries are charged up you are good there), #2 is running. Two ways to know for sure -- ONE by listening outside when the ac unit starts up. After initial startup, apx 2 min later the outside fans will shut down, #2 compressor kicks in, and fans come back on. You can hear that outside, or TWO, you can watch it happen on the amp meter inside.
Old 07-05-2008, 02:12 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

In our Sightseer (30 amp system), each green light on the power management system indicates power is available to those applainces. When the lights are off, for example to the electric water heater, electric power is not available to that applaince. Light goes off starting from the top as demand from other applainces increases. Green light means go.

When we use both rooftop a/c (propably equivalent to you're having 2 compressors running) the amp meter reads 22 to 23 amps. We turn of the rear a/c when we want ot use another major applaince (i.e. electric water heater, coffee maker, microwave...). With just the front a/c (one compressor) running the amp meter reads 12 amps.

As far as temps, I believe temp reading is done at the thermostat. We have 2 thermostats (one in the bedroom and the other in the hall way). We set both with a one or two degree difference (usually the bedroom higher). Also, we start the a/cs one at a time. Our normaly practice would be to set the front at 78 and the rear at 79 or 80. That's what is comfortable to us. We also turn on the fantastic fan to exhaust the warm air to help cool down the MH faster.

Relax, drive safely and enjoy God's creations.

2006 Sightseer 33T, W18, 8.1L
mis3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 04:01 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

David;

AFChap has told you everything I could tell you. Mine works exactly as he stated. Had you have turned on the water heater & refer it would have shed some load and your lights would have gone off reflecting that shed. I run 2 A/Cs on 30 Amps quite often.

In jest I was going to tell you your new flat screen front tv was causing problems because I am envious of your new tv. You did a nice job with that. Thanks for the email and pictures.

Bev and I are looking forward to seeing you and Sue at a future rally somewhere.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 04:58 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

(Quote)The thermostat controls the ac and tells you the temp where it is, BUT where the thermostat is located makes a lot of difference. Front area is always warmer in our coach, heat sources near thermostat can skew it, etc. AND, if a vent is turned where it is blowing on/toward the thermostat, that can skew things.(Quote)

On my first trips out I couldn't figure out why I had to lower the temp to the low 60's so the inside would be comfortable.....until I read in a thread what Paul just mentioned. I had one of the vents aiming straight down toward the thermostat. It had never occurred to me. That's why this site is so great.

Good luck,
Tom
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 04:43 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks ya all, now I am smarter! LOL

Don, am looking forward to seeing you guys again, don't know where, but am planning the trip next year to Forest City for the big one, but who knows.
Thanks for the compliments on the LCD install. By the way, the fireplace is also an electric heater.

Later ya all,

David