Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-28-2016, 07:27 AM   #21
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnut View Post
Anyone see a problem with adding this during the initial warranty period? Any chance of an issue with it somehow voiding the initial 12 month "bumper to bumper" warranty from Winnebago?
We use the same surge protector as 747Driver. It's mounted in the cabinet only a couple feet from the transfer switch. I installed it within the first month we had the coach. We planned to take a trip to Alaska as soon as we had 1000 miles on the motorhome and didn't want to have power problems.

We had lost the EMS system in our 2001 Adventurer in Canada due to a nearby lightning strike. We also had several occasions where the local power was not consistent. It cost several hundred dollars to repair the MES and we didn't want to have a similar problem in the new coach. There were never any problems with warranty.
Old 11-28-2016, 08:51 AM   #22
Winnebago Camper

So am I understanding the installation correctly . The hard wired unit gets installed after the plug receptacle on the side of my 50 amp coach or before the transfer switch because unit has a onan on board ? Thx
Old 11-28-2016, 10:08 AM   #23
Winnebago Owner

RCMike, the instructions show where to install. There are two options, as you stated, inline the power cord before the transfer relay. This install protects the RV electronics from shore power issues only.

The instructions also show it after the transfer relay, to protect your systems from genset issues as well. To be honest, I have never read/heard about the genset causing damage to electronics. With the newer RCS(EMS), you may be subject to over 4 minutes of delays.
747Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 01:16 PM   #24
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747Driver View Post
RCMike, the instructions show where to install. There are two options, as you stated, inline the power cord before the transfer relay. This install protects the RV electronics from shore power issues only.

The instructions also show it after the transfer relay, to protect your systems from genset issues as well. To be honest, I have never read/heard about the genset causing damage to electronics. With the newer RCS(EMS), you may be subject to over 4 minutes of delays.
. Thank you !👍
Rcmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 07:13 PM   #25
Winnebago Owner

I use the Progressive EMS PT30c portable. Two reasons, first they are expensive and I take it with me when I buy a new RV. Second I like actually checking the outlets before I plug in my RV, better safe than sorry.

I also plug it in-between my generator and the house at home during power outages.
S Bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 10:17 PM   #26
Winnebago Owner

Had some service today and asked my service rep about warranty issues with Surge Suppressor. He said no warranty issues unless it is installed improperly and causes damage.
747Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 02:01 AM   #27
Winnebago Master

I also have a Surge Guard permanently installed AFTER the ATS, so it watches over all incoming power to the coach, including the generator. Mine has a remote panel that's mounted in the wall next to the "One Place" center and I can watch the status on both phases coming in, both voltage, current, and whatever errors there might be. The warranty isn't as nice as the Progressive, but the remote is so much better and cleaner than the Progressive there's is no compare. I'll take my chances. This is hard wired, not plugged, so if it fails I also carry #6 wire splices to bypass it. I'm not a fan of plugs all over the place with this kind of current.

The Surge guard protects short cycling the A/C as long as the 2min protect is turned On. If it's not the A/C logic is still watching, and will blow the breaker if the startup current is excessive anyway. As mentioned, with all the electronics on board, anything you can do to keep transients out of the coach is a good thing.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 10:05 AM   #28
Winnebago Master

X2 on what SCVjeff said. My brother had his genset go bonkers and it took out his microwave. Internal hard wired is important. Every connector socket/plug added to incoming power drops another volt or two. You can feel the heat at the connector when you're pulling 30 amps or more.

You should also consider a Hughes Autoformer to boost voltage. Low voltage is really hard on the a/c compressors and blower motors. On a hot day in a full campground with everybody running a/c, I can just about guarantee the voltage is going to be on the low side......maybe very low. Anything less than 108 is a killer on the motor and startup components (cap & relays). The Hughes boosts 2% all the time to compensate for the drop in the connectors and supply cable.

Also the best surge protection during a lightning storm is to unplug from pedestal until the storm passes.

I was at Winnebago national rally with 1750 other owners when lightning hit DriVers (past iRV2 admin) cb antenna. I had my coach unplugged. DriVer lost his transfer switch and later on his way home the transmission control module failed. I met a guy that was 3 rows away who lost his microwave.

Tags
power