Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2010, 06:05 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Powerline EMS acting up?

We have a 2006 Sightseer 35N. It is a 30 amp system with a Powerline EMS.

Today I went up to check on the rig which is currently winterized but plugged into 30 amp shore power. The EMS is reading 50 amp (never seen it read 50 amp) with a blank amp displayed. The 4 LEDs at the side are all lit.

Any ideas what is going on?

Thanks
laplatarosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:13 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Try turning the rear air power selector switch.

According to the wiring diagarms, the generator & power cord in combination could make it 50 Amp.

http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...ire_152461.pdf

On our setup, 50Amp is 220V, and the panel does not show amps in use then (only for 30 Amp)
Old 11-16-2010, 07:40 PM   #3
KIX
Winnebago Master

Assuming you are connected to ONLY a 30 amp shore supply and the generator is not running a circuit board problem is likely. If you only have a 30 amp shore power system I wonder why there is a 50 amp display capability?
The way the system detects incoming power is a coil surrounds the incoming power cables. If it detects two 120 volt sources coming in (as in 50 amp connection) then it tells the display panel to display 50 amp connection. Your post says the display says you are connected to 50 amp while you say you are connected to 30 amp. My guess is that the circuit board is either getting or producing an erroneous "50 amp detected" signal. I don't think your problem is in the display panel. Your system being a 30 amp system doesn't even have the incoming 2nd 120 volt wire to even give a "50 amp" signal.
As to the 4 LEDs you mentioned, those are lights that are lit unless you circuit board has shed the load associated with a particular light.

maybe the above info will help you diagnose and fix the problem. I think Intelliltec has wiring diagrams online. Good luck
Old 11-16-2010, 07:55 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

The best thing you can do is turn off all the power including disconnecting the house batteries (with the switch) and then turn everything back on. This will reset the EMS and should correct the error. Mine has been confused when I am on shore power and turned on the generator and then gone back to shore power.
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 09:17 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Well, I've done some trouble shooting. This is what I have done.

I checked the Progressive Dynamics Converter/Charger (PD9260) and everything seemed to be fine.

I ran the generator, and the powerline display did not change. The display did not even show the GenSet as on and the 50 amp LED did not change (still on 50 amp). In the past when the GenSet was on, the amp usage light showed the amps being used.

I checked for voltage going to the display, I did find some dc voltage. I have been assuming the voltage to the display was OK because I've been getting LEDs.

I switched the selector switch from Powercord to Generator with no change to the display.

I'm beginning to think the circuit board has gone out. Any ideas where I might get another board? Any idea what a fair price for a new board might be?

Thanks again.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:58 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Well, I think it is the Control Module circuit board on the EMS. part # 00-00911-000.

Does anyone know how I might test the circuit board? I don't think there are any repairable parts on the board itself.

I noticed when I turn off the main breaker the EMS display shows the amps in the usage area for a split second.

I think I'll post the original question again over on the Tech Issues forum.

Thanks for all the help.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:33 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I got the display back!

For some reason if any of the 110 breakers are off the display changes to 50 amp. Once I turned all breakers back on everything seems to be back to normal.

Thanks for all your help.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:46 PM   #8
KIX
Winnebago Master

That's something to remember. Glad it's fixed.