Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2016, 10:29 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Power Switch Automatic Transfer Switch

I have a 1999 Winnebago Adventurer 35u, with a Onan Genset. The power transfer switch, which has a brand name of POWER SWITCH burned out. I'm wondering if a person can purchase the exact same unit, and if not, what is the best alternative, and how hard is it to install for a DIY'er. I'm sure the contacts got corroded because of age, and stuck. Help?
rptipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 01:47 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

:welcome:

Often it's not age that damages a transfer switch, but having heavy loads switched on so that high amps have to be dealt with as the contacts close and open. There are many good choices out there in ATS's, I'm sure someone with an opinion on particular brands will be along soon.

If you do a search using the Google search of the forum at the top right of the page you'll find much discussion of ATS.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 02:22 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

If you are mechanically inclined then you can install an ATS. Most RV dealerships have them in their stores and Camping World carries various brands. Grab your phone or camera and take a picture of the one that's on your rig. Make sure you get several shots so you can read the label.
Personally when you get your replacement get one with a built in Surge Suppressor or Surge Guard. They are well worth the money they can save you in the end.
Now just in case you didn't know, make sure your MH is NOT plugged into electricity and the Generator is NOT running and you open circuit the battery during the install. Being safe is what it all about. Just follow the instructions, easy peasy
Old 06-14-2016, 07:29 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

While a surge guard is a good idea, I wouldn't buy a Surge Guard by Technology Research built into the ATS. It will fail when it does it's job of absorbing a surge. Then you have to buy a new ATS. Technology Research only warranties them for a year and have no repair facilities.

I have an EMS from Progressive Industries. Progressive Industries RV Surge and Electrical Protection industry lea

Lifetime repair or replace, free. Mine got 'zapped' in a campground. I called Progressive and they talked me through a test that showed it needed a new board. They offered to repair free if I sent it in or send me the board to replace myself. The second time I called, I wasn't talking to a tech, it was the owner of the company. Very helpful and I'm a loyal customer!

Bob & Donna
Old 06-14-2016, 08:44 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I had an ATS get stuck on the power cord side of the switch. It was my fault, it was 110 out going through Las Vegas on the way back from lake Powell. I was running the basement A/C as well as the dash. I shut the generator down but did not switch the house thermostat off like I should of, I know better. When I plugged the coach in at the campground the ATS switched with a heavy load on it, a/c. I'm sure it arc'ed the contacts. Worked on shore power but wouldn't switch to generator. I hit the ATS with my hand and it was enough to get it switching again. I have heard you can take the ATS apart and clean the contacts. A new one for my coach is about $150 on Amazon gotta love 2 day shipping.
Old 06-14-2016, 07:33 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

rptipp,something to think about. I'm thinking about removing the one in our coach and replacing it with a receptacle like Winnebago uses on some of it's smaller coaches. When you store the core just plug it in the receptacle which is connected to the generator.
We are tired of listening to the hum coming form the ATS which is under the floor in the bedroom.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 09:36 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

i have a 2005 itasca meridian. i had a short in my transfer switch last march.
after a lot of searching, i bought an ats from boat and rv accessories,com in ohio.
it has a surge guard built in. i believe cw advertises it for 800 dollars.
i bought it for 200 plus tax and shipping. exact same part.
surgeguard model 41260 made by trc
i do not sell parts or have any affiliation with either company

grant, its not really hard to do that. ive done that for numerous owners who didnt want to pay the price for the ats, or have the humming.
the parts are available at lowes, home depot, or sometimes the local hardware store.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 01:30 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rptipp View Post
I have a 1999 Winnebago Adventurer 35u, with a Onan Genset. The power transfer switch, which has a brand name of POWER SWITCH burned out. I'm wondering if a person can purchase the exact same unit, and if not, what is the best alternative, and how hard is it to install for a DIY'er. I'm sure the contacts got corroded because of age, and stuck. Help?
:welcome:

We are glad you have joined us. You have a vast resource of experience at your beckoned call.

I think you can replace it with a newer model. Here is an example of 30A ATS's available to you. Just put the correct set of wires in the correct position of the new switch you choose. https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...ywords=30A+ats

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Old 06-18-2016, 02:13 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

I would really discourage buying a ATS with a built-in EMS or surge suppressor. Like many multi-function devices, one part can fail and the rest still work, but you need to replace the whole unit to get both parts working again. TVs with built in DVD, are a case in point. Also as I said, a Surge Guard by Technology Research is technically of decent quality, but all EMS units can be sacrificed when suppressing a large voltage spike. Better hope it happens in the first year, because that's the limit of their warranty and they don't repair or sell parts. Progressive Industries sells an EMS with very similar capabilities, but the warranty is miles better.

Bob & Donna
Old 06-19-2016, 11:55 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
rptipp,something to think about. I'm thinking about removing the one in our coach and replacing it with a receptacle like Winnebago uses on some of it's smaller coaches. When you store the core just plug it in the receptacle which is connected to the generator.
We are tired of listening to the hum coming form the ATS which is under the floor in the bedroom.
I have this on my View. Simple is so much better. Install a Progressive Industries EMS in the cord compartment, terminate the cord in this and connect it to your breaker panel with the wires that now go from your ATS to the breaker panel. Install a 4x4 box and industrial front and receptacle and connect to the generator out wires that went to the ATS and you are done. Yes, its a days work or more depending on how neat you are, but well worth the trouble. Only future issue then is failure of the Progressive Ind box or internal relay.

Charles

Tags
power, switch, transfer switch