Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-14-2020, 05:30 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Power Share Switch PSS

Does anyone know what the Power Share Switch PSS in the View is used for? I haven't traced it out yet and don't see it on the schematics I have. I know what a PSS is, just not how they are using it in this application. Thanks!
rreynolds51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 05:51 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I had not run into it,s o did a search and found this which seems to explain what they might use it for on our brand:
https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=29282
sounds pretty much like what Winnebago call a load shedder but which circuits are actually tied to it is still a mystery. I would assume AC to be one of them, but the drawings for newer RV are not as good for details like that.
One way to find the info might be to look at the wire ID printed on the wires going into the PSS and check it against the wire ID chart here:
https://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram...ical_guide.pdf
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 06:14 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Seems they had the same questions I did. I can't read any wire labels in the pictures I took so I'll try to get in there tomorrow and look closer. Could be anything I guess..right now I'm wondering if A/C is primary and Fridge might be secondary. If the Fridge looses ac if would switch to propane or dc without a loss. But just a guess at this point. Thanks for the wire ID info. This will help me going forward.
Old 09-15-2020, 08:39 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Looking at the wiring diagram I have I found a what they called a EMS Relay, a PSS, that has Microwave as priority and water heater as secondary. Diagram says its under the Galley cabinet but I think this is the one. Almost makes sense.
Old 09-15-2020, 09:39 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Have you gotten into looking at the parts catalog? Lots of interesting things good for locating items but often not so good at telling us what wand how they are wired:
https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm
Your RV is a case where the serial number comes into getting down to the correct parts as there are two versions of your unit with the power shed being part of the changes. Both items are shown on the drawing as being the same place on top of the inverter but different item drawing and different description/ names.
One calls it power sharing switch while the older version called it auto load shed, so we might guess they are just newer electronics but we still can't look at the info to say what it feeds.
Just picking up bits and pieces makes it much harder but better than many makes gives us. I had a new Thor and called to ask about where the other end of a coax might be and they told me, " they're all just pretty generic and we don't keep plans for that."
BAH! That's part of why I now have a Winnebago.
Old 09-15-2020, 01:09 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

It took me a little while to figure out how to find the Converter and how to get to it. I wish they had a good set of schematics I could reference. The wiring diagrams are not complete and still have to figure out how to get to some things. Eventually we will have it all figured out. We bought our coach used so I have to watch for changes also. To make things harder this coach is a lot smaller than our last rig so I have to get rid of some stuff and figure out where to put what I need. LOL
Old 09-15-2020, 02:23 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rreynolds51 View Post
It took me a little while to figure out how to find the Converter and how to get to it. I wish they had a good set of schematics I could reference. The wiring diagrams are not complete and still have to figure out how to get to some things. Eventually we will have it all figured out. We bought our coach used so I have to watch for changes also. To make things harder this coach is a lot smaller than our last rig so I have to get rid of some stuff and figure out where to put what I need. LOL
Been there and it takes a bit of thinking to decide what we really need. We went from the big bus when gas got to the outrageous price of $1.54 a gallon and we stopped the RV thing but it has lots to offer that we never could get In hotel/motels. We tried trips like Punta Cana for a few years but never really felt right, so when we came back to RV, we were looking for smaller.
I guess we are just not meant to be totally happy with what we have?
Old 04-24-2021, 02:12 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

The Power Share switch is used to prevent overdraw of current by running both the Microwave and Induction cooktop simultaneously. In our 2020 Winnebago View 24D, there is a microwave/convection oven as the priority load and the induction cooktop as the "Shed" load. When at standby, both the microwave/convection and induction cooktop get power, but when the microwave/convection is drawing cooking power (more than just a few watts), power is completely cut off to the induction cooktop (the load is "shed"). When the microwave/convection power drops back to standby (about 2-3 minutes after the cooking cycle is completed), power is restored to the induction cooktop. Since both appliances running simultaneously at max output could draw more than the 30A capacity of the 120VAC system, that would pose a fire hazard from overheating of the wiring and plugs.

This is nowhere mentioned in the owner's manual. I discovered this when I notice the induction cooktop powering off whenever I started the microwave, even when plugged into shore power. This forces owners to do some meal prep planning in advance to manage power and timing of cooking stages in order for meals to be prepared so that everything is hot when serving time arrives. For example, you may start by heating water to boil on the induction cooktop for tea and pour that into a thermos. Then prepare your skillet meal on the induction but keep it covered after turning the induction off. Then complete meal by melting cheese on rolls in the convection oven. Steep the tea when the rolls go into the convection. Plate the skillet entree onto plates, pour the tea, and then pull out the rolls from the convection oven and onto the table. Voila! Dinner's hot and ready to eat without overloading the 120VAC system. Of course, this presumes you don't need to run the air conditioner, which can draw 15-20A by itself.

Also be aware that any other appliances plugged into any AC outlets may contribute to overloading the AC system's 30A maximum rating (toaster, coffee maker, space heater, etc). When running off the battery/inverter, it will let you know with an overload alarm and shut down, but on shore power, if the 30A main circuit breaker doesn't trip, there's the risk of overheating the plug, wiring, or other components within the RV's electrical system.
whidbeyben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 01:59 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

On our 2016 Vista 27N as per the wiring diagram, I believe it shares power between the microwave and 110v part of the hot water tank...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-10-24 at 12.55.38 AM.png
Views:	32
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	184517  
Bogdan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 09:47 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

This type switch is used on 30A RV applications. I once owned a 1976 Allegro MH that had a 3-way switch controlling power to the microwave or 2nd air conditioner.

Sounds like your only postivie way to find out is try it while running various appliances.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, switch