Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-07-2019, 11:42 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Power Issue Need Help

I am having trouble with power to my fridg and microwave and maybe other items as well. I am plug into 50 AMP service at home and those two items are not working. I also think I may not be charging as the Batt. are not showing a full charge. All batt. on the coach and chassie were chnged about 6-months ago. I have checked breakers, reset them and still not working. I have attached photos for you to look at and explain to me what I am looking at.
I am thinking it may be the inverter but I really don't know. Click image for larger version

Name:	Inverter Panel.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	542.2 KB
ID:	172299

Click image for larger version

Name:	Inverter.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	219.9 KB
ID:	172300

Click image for larger version

Name:	Transfer Switch.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	328.4 KB
ID:	172301
Raylc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 01:04 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Well I would start with checking all GFI breakers should be in Kitchen, bath and maybe where the fridge plugs into. Also take voltage reading on output of inverter. Looks like it is saying no Common ground, so would check ground to all circuits. That is the best I can do sorry hope it helps some.
RD Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 01:51 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Ray, I checked all breakers and GFI's I even tripped them and reset them. The fridge and microwave are on different breakers so I'm thinking that it has something to do with the 110 power but I don't really know.
Old 10-07-2019, 02:09 PM   #4
Site Team

Unplug and run the generator and see if you get the same results. I'm betting there is one more GFCI someplace (near the inverter) that is tripped.
Old 10-07-2019, 02:17 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

That is my thought too. I have also seen a GFI for the Refer where it plugs in. Voltage reading everywhere you can for 110 pluged in or generator is always a good starting point.
Old 10-08-2019, 09:24 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

OK folks here is what I have tried. I ran the coach on the Generator and still no power to the kit. area which includes the microwave and fridge. I have power in the bedroom and the master bath. I also have power to the roof top AC units. I have reset the inverter, I have turned off the main breaker in the RV panel and turned off the inverter/charger breaker and then turned them all back on. I have a GFI in the half bath that isn't working however it wasn't tripped. I took the GFI off and wired the wires together to complete the circuit still no power in the kit area. I have reset the panel and it flashes green then goes back red and says no comm. I looked in my manual and no comm. means no communication with the inverter. I need some help please. I still believe the charger isn't charging as with lights on in the coach the volts have dropped below 12.
Old 10-08-2019, 09:58 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Have you checked the voltage go to and comming from the inverter? I think I would start there and work forward. Finding electrical problems is time-consuming and hard. You could also have a bad braker. Reset all brakers too.
Old 10-08-2019, 02:34 PM   #8
Site Team

There is a “salesman switch” power cutoff located by the inverter, make sure that is turned on.
Old 10-08-2019, 05:57 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Your rig's wiring diagram should help in troubleshooting:

Wiring Diagrams
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 06:04 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Tell me folks does this sound like an inverter problem. What I have is an inverter/charger made by magnum. I have turned off all breakers, power, reset the inverter, confirmed power to the inverter and I'm still confused.
Old 10-09-2019, 06:58 AM   #11
Site Team

Perhaps there are two sets of 115v breakers. One that is wired into the inverter output to run the fridge, microwave, and outlets near the bathroom and TVs. And another set that powers all non-inverter loads such as the A/C units.

Have you called WBGO support and or Magnum support?
Old 10-09-2019, 09:22 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

The wiring diagram is very clear as to which circuits run through the inverter. If these are the things that aren't working, then the inverter isn't working properly. Determining why it's not working properly will take some trouble-shooting.

I confess to knowing nothing about your specific inverter, but if none of the items shown on the diagram as being fed by the inverter work, then it's the entire inverter and not an individual circuit or circuits. If it's not all of the inverter-fed circuits, it could be the breaker controlling the failed circuit. If it's all of the inverter-fed circuits, I'd look for a blown fuse on (or in the inverter). Your inverter manual should have a trouble-shooting section and, if not both user and service manuals may be available on line.

Here's the wiring diagram:

http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...ire_179022.pdf

I also Googled "magnum inverter fault no comm" (as in your photo) and came up with a ton of discussions and potential solutions. You might want to pick through them and see if any apply to your situation:

https://www.google.com/search?safe=o...4dUDCAs&uact=5
Old 10-09-2019, 11:07 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

The inverter itself may have a GFI outlet on it also, be sure and check that one, if you haven't already. I had to replace the one on my inverter because the outlet had gone bad, when it went it took about half of the coach power with it. On my inverter there are two outbound 120 volt wires. One passes straight through the inverter, the other first goes to the GFI outlet on the inverter and then out to the coach. Lose the GFI, lose all power on that wire.
Old 10-09-2019, 04:05 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Bob you are the man. I will take a look at these sites and see what I come up with. I am thinking it's the inverter but wow that sucker is spendy so I don't want to start throwing money at parts hoping to hit the right one. Thanks for your help and I will let you know what I find out.

Ray
Old 10-10-2019, 01:52 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

To All,
I viewed the website and the forum info and followed up with what I read. I have done reset with the reset button on the inverter and I have also done a hard reset where I disconnected all power including the batt. I still have the red light and the fault that says no comm. I have turned off all breakers and turned them back on but still have the fault and still no power to the kit and half bath. Does this sound like I need a new inverter. The one I have is Magnum model # ms2812. Any advise. Thanks
Old 10-10-2019, 03:15 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raylc View Post
To All,
I viewed the website and the forum info and followed up with what I read. I have done reset with the reset button on the inverter and I have also done a hard reset where I disconnected all power including the batt. I still have the red light and the fault that says no comm. I have turned off all breakers and turned them back on but still have the fault and still no power to the kit and half bath. Does this sound like I need a new inverter. The one I have is Magnum model # ms2812. Any advise. Thanks
I don't think that any of us can answer that question. I think's it's time to find an expert. I'd start by contacting the manufacturer about an authorized service provider in your area. I, personally wouldn't take it to an RV shop or any other non-authorized service provider or the troubleshooting costs could be astronomical.
Old 10-10-2019, 03:55 PM   #17
Site Team

Call Magnum. They are great and will do all they can to help.

I’m not positive but thank that is a very good model inverter.

Here’s a troubleshooting link
https://www.magnum-dimensions.com/kn...roubleshooting
Old 10-10-2019, 07:00 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

You're at the point that you should stop asking your friends what they think and go to the "doctor". But, keep us posted.
Old 10-10-2019, 07:27 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Thanks all, I have called Magnum and was on hold forever and they would come on and tell me I was fifth in line. And that never changed I stayed fifth and no one ever picked up. I will try them again. Thanks.
Old 10-13-2019, 04:18 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Check on the back of the inverter, usually there is one or two 20 amp breakers. Or the flow thru in the inverter is not working with shore power. But I'm betting the breakers on the inverter. The manual should show them. Just took a look on Fleebay and the Magnums have a couple push pull small 20 amp breakers on the side.

Tags
need help, power