Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2019, 04:48 PM   #21
Barry Jensen

Keep trying with Magnum. My experience is they are helpful.
Just on the off chance... have you unplugged and re-plugged the phone cables handling comms between the panel and the inverter? A real long shot considering loads don't work when on generator or shore power.

And the comms error kind of rules out transfer switch, I think.

If the coach is going into winter storage, maybe you can remove the inverter and send it to Magnum for testing/repair. Should be considerably less expensive than replacement. Just charge up your batteries. They should be AGM and will not discharge too much over winter if in decent condition.
bjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 05:21 PM   #22
Winnebago Watcher

Have you made sure both switches are on for your 50amp service?
s66927a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 05:29 PM   #23
2002 Journey WPK36GD

Rodent damage?

Last winter in Texas East we were sitting for 3 months. Then we went I-10 and rumbled and rolled and had mucho electronic failures. Back in IN the tech said there was rodent damage. $1900 later everything worked with bypassed wiring. It is something to consider - rodent damage and the rough, really rough road I-10.
CharlesMoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 05:38 PM   #24
Winnebago Camper

Your power problems

I will tell you that we have a 2014 Suncruiser 38q and had the same problem. It started when traveling with the inverter remote showing me all kinds of crazy things. Then, when returned from our 2 month trip, it really freaked out. It would show me the no communication as well and my TV, refrigerator and most of my outlets did not work. I wasn't even able to start the generator. I spent lots of time on the phone with Magnum, Precision Management etc. I did everything you have done. The other other thing I would suggest is to give a 4 line phone cord, remove your remote from the wall - be careful not to let the cord drop back through, take it down to the inverter and try the new cord to see if it is it. Mine was not.

We had our inverter removed last week and took it to a Magnum qualified repair shop. They put in a new control board and says it appears to be working. We will pick it up this week and have it re-installed. I'll let you know.

I have an email for Magnum you could try. Glenn Darby - [email protected]

Good luck,
Ann
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38q
anndrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 05:48 PM   #25
Winnebago Camper

Power Problems

We had a similar situation two times. The first time it was that the batteries were unable to hold the inverter charge and they needed to be replaced. If your batteries show at more than 13 amps you are probably okay with the batteries. The next time we experienced a similar issue was last July. This time, after leaving the campground we turned on our generator and we had no power in the coach. When we arrived at our campsite that evening, we plugged into the shore power, and we only had partial power. And without shore power the inverter wasn’t putting power to the coach, either. The next morning I called Winnebago and the tech told me it was probably the transfer switch that switches the power to the coach from shore power, generator power or inverter power, depending on where your power is coming from. That may be the situation you are describing.
Beanlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 05:56 PM   #26
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanlady View Post
We had a similar situation two times. The first time it was that the batteries were unable to hold the inverter charge and they needed to be replaced. If your batteries show at more than 13 amps you are probably okay with the batteries. The next time we experienced a similar issue was last July. This time, after leaving the campground we turned on our generator and we had no power in the coach. When we arrived at our campsite that evening, we plugged into the shore power, and we only had partial power. And without shore power the inverter wasn’t putting power to the coach, either. The next morning I called Winnebago and the tech told me it was probably the transfer switch that switches the power to the coach from shore power, generator power or inverter power, depending on where your power is coming from. That may be the situation you are describing.

Did you have the transfer switch repaired/replaced and did it solve your problem?

We have had that addressed 3 years ago - that will be the next thing I have looked at.
anndrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 05:59 PM   #27
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by anndrennan View Post
Did you have the transfer switch repaired/replaced and did it solve your problem?

We have had that addressed 3 years ago - that will be the next thing I have looked at.
Yes, replacing the transfer solved that issue! Now we keep a spare! Hope this helps.
Beanlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 09:39 AM   #28
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via MSN to e4services
I too would point to the inverter, for all the things you stated as not powered normally are run through the inverter.
Check for voltage at the input to the breakers set that runs through the inverter, I would guess there is nothing. WHile it is difficult you would next check the 110VAC in and out of the Inverter, you need to open up the access panel on the side to get to the connections.
My guess is the inverter control board adding in the "No Comm" error
e4services is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 04:49 PM   #29
Winnebago Camper

Folks,
I have checked all breakers, I have even turned them off and back on again. The breakers going to the kit area do not have power coming to them as they run through the inverter. I have reset the inverter, I have also killed all power to the inverter including shore, gen, and batt and left it off for 30 min. I have unplugged and plugged back in all low voltage wires as well more than once. I have no green light on the inverter that shows that it is working. I think I will do as you say and take the inverter out and send it off to Magnum to have them look at it. I don't have anyone around where I live to take it to and I wouldn't take it to a RV dealer as they would not have clue I'm afraid. Thanks for your help and advise, I have had a lot of you give me great advise on what to look for.
Raylc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 09:00 AM   #30
Winnebago Camper

I want to thank everyone for your replies and help on solving my power issue. I contacted Magnum and went through with them what was going on they agreed it was an inverter issue. I replaced the inverter and everything is working fine. I just wanted to be sure that was the issue before spending that kind of money. Thanks again for your help.

Ray
Old 10-22-2019, 04:14 PM   #31
2002 Journey WPK36GD

50A at home

I am curious how you get your 50A at your house?

Currently I have 50A at home and was experiencing issues with the coach electronics. My set up took 220VAC at the panel with a 50A breaker. The wiring went from the panel to a receptacle with 3 slots used for a welder (previous owner). All voltages looked ok and breaker was 50A. I made an adapter and plugged the RV into this and all seemed ok.

However, after installing a smart gfi type device it did not work and issued a fault. So, after some head scratching, I decided to use the RV plug 4th wire (earth ground) and drove a stake into the ground and connected the RV plug ground to it. All problems disappeared.

I do not even know if this relates to your problem but maybe it does. Just my 2¢ worth. Cheers.
CharlesMoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 04:42 PM   #32
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesMoore View Post
The wiring went from the panel to a receptacle with 3 slots used for a welder (previous owner). All voltages looked ok and breaker was 50A. I made an adapter and plugged the RV into this and all seemed ok.
A simple search of the internet yielded this:

No you cannot plug your RV into a plug designed for a welder. The plug for the welder is 220 volts. ... The RV's electrical system is designed to run on 120 volts AC. Depending on who did the wiring for the welding plug, they may have used a receptacle that looks similar to the one you use in your RV.

Obviously, the RV has a 4-pole plug not a 3-pole plug. And it is 2 seperate legs of 120v.50a power not one leg of 220v. If you've delivered 220v to your RV you may have some really serious problems.
Old 10-22-2019, 05:07 PM   #33
Winnebago Master

Here's a link to a discussion on Irv2 that may help:

Correct 50A wiring outlet for RV - iRV2 Forums
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 05:31 PM   #34
Winnebago Camper

Charles my 50 amp is in RV garage and it has the 4-wire run to it from my 200 amp breaker box. I often times just plug into the 120 volt with an adapter to keep the batteries charged. You don't need 50 amp to just do that.

Tags
need help, power