Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2020, 01:30 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Power issue

Hello all-I have a 2014 Forza. I have no power to ac/heat, fireplace or washer/dryer but power elsewhere. I’ve checked the breaker box under the bed. Any ideas?
Katc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 02:00 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Welcome to a new set of friends! Some things for you to consider:
- Are the things that are working all 12 volt-powered?
- Are you on shore power and have confirmed you have 30 or 50 amp as appropriate?
- Have you reset the main 120 volt breaker on your panel? Whether you use 30 or 50 amp there will be only one breaker.
- With the shore power off - and the inverter on - do you have power to any 120 volt appliances?

Start with these things and let's see what results ...
Old 05-23-2020, 02:21 PM   #3
Site Team

Welcome! Steve gave you a great list of things we need to know and you need to try. So, please check back with answers to those questions so we can help you.

Also, I know you told us in your post what year and model RV you have, but now's the perfect time to put that info into your Signature here. Then when ever you make a post we'll know exactly what RV you are talking about.

It's easy and takes less than 5 mins:

Click on "User CP" top left hand side of the page in orange
Click on "Edit Signature" on the left column menu
Enter your Year, Model, floorplan, Toad, etc
Click "Save Signature"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EditSignature.png
Views:	77
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	173585  
Old 05-23-2020, 03:15 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

To me the big question is are you plugged into 30 or 50 amp? I am going to guess 50 because some of your 120v stuff is working. Make sure your turn your two 50amp breakers on and off in the camper. You might want to (if possible) check to make sure the power at the pedestal is hot on two legs. if 30 amp service you only have one hot 120v leg. so the issue will be in your breaker panel area.
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 06:08 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I like to do the easy things first and then work up if it takes harder. One easy step is to sort out what is and is not working by taking a lamp, etc around to check the AC on outlets, look at thigs we know are AC operated like the microwave, drier, etc. Once we know where and how many of things work or not, we can begin to tell much better where things break down. We can't fully pin it down with not knowing which length you have but looking at the shorter, it looks like two AC, a washer outlet and the GRCI in the bathroom all come off the same panel. I did not spot the drier in a quicklook.
So if the GFCI in the bathroom is also out, that likely means the feed to that panel is out and cuts the chase way down.
Which size RV and is that GFCI outlet dead? Exterior compartment outlet also dead?
This is fed through and EMS system. Any reset buttons / breakers on it?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 07:10 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

50 amp power, but even with generator running, we have the same issue.
Old 05-24-2020, 07:16 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

That would fit what I might guess is happening expect.
Old 05-24-2020, 07:19 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

38 foot.
Ok, GFI in back bathroom doesn’t work and won’t reset
Forgive me, but I’m quite ignorant concerning this and need dummy instructions.
Old 05-24-2020, 07:28 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Husband says panel has 2 switchbanks. 1 side has 5 switches, all hot. Other side has 9 switches, all dead.
Old 05-24-2020, 08:34 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Okay, the GFCI being dead confirms that one full panel is not getting power as it work off that panel with the other things, so we need to chase back from that panel to the source and the source can be either the shore power cord or the generator. With the info on which coach, I can do some looking to see what path it takes from point a (shore power/genset?) to point b, the panel.
Will do some looking and get back asap.
Old 05-24-2020, 09:12 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Pulled a drawing and hope it is what you see, but need to verify?
Does this look like the panel that he is finding part dead?

If this is correct drawing, there are two 50 amp breakers highlighted that handle the incoming AC from the transfer switch. If he can, check those are not tripped and whether they are getting power. Flipping and then resetting is often a good quick things to make sure as some breakers can look okay but not be fully thrown.
If they are okay but not getting power to them----
They are fed from the transfer switch. The transfer switch changes where the power comes in, whether it uses shore power or uses generator power. Since you get nothing from shore or genset, the transfer switch may not be doing it right.
Assuming the breakers are both dead and not any trouble found there, look for a way to reset the transfer switch, any levers to flip, breakers to trip, etc.?
Do I need to say, be careful here?
The 110 AC can hurt you bad if you get in the wrong spot when it is powered up!!!

With the cover off the transfer panel, I have marked the lugs to check, Blue is shore power coming in, black is generator power in and Red is the power going out to the load center/ breakers.
Idea is to check if power is getting to the load center breakers, if yes, does it get through those breakers.
If no power to those breakers, check the transfer switch has power going out, which should make it get to the load center.
If no power out of the transfer switch, we need to find out why, assuming it does get to that point from shore or genset. While looking in the transfer switch (if required) do check to make sure there is power coming from either the shore power cord or genset but we would expect to not find both failed.
Possible I need to look further in that direction but not expected. Little bit of guessing as I don't know this RV fully!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dead load center.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	173596   Click image for larger version

Name:	transfer.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	176.0 KB
ID:	173597  

Old 05-24-2020, 01:45 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

OK all figured out!
When we started yesterday, it was with generator on for power and we couldn’t get either ac unit (rooftop), washer/dryer or fireplace to work. What we did not realize at that time was that the GFI in our bathroom was tripped.

So we switched from generator to shore power. Still nothing.
Checked every possible breaker, fuse, switch etc.

Then someone told us about the GFI.
We were still on shore power and couldn’t get the GFI to reset.
Began thinking it was bad. Using multimeter we checked the back side of switch panel. No power coming in.
Checked back of GFI, no power.
It finally hit me. Maybe the GFI needs power to reset. We were plugged into shore power but what if there was no power from the source. Checked breaker switch on the shore power. It’s on. No problems there. But I didn’t check the plug.

Finally back to generator. Fire it up, hit the GFI on the coach and it reset!
Back to the panel, we have power! (Because the generator is on)
AC kicks on! Washer/dryer are working.
Went back to shore power and tested plug. Never had power the whole time!
Had I known about that GFI in our coach bathroom when we had the generator on the first time we would have back in business within 15 minutes! Had I known the 50 amp plug in my garage had no power I wouldn’t have been depending on shore power all that time either!
Just a set of bad circumstances that led to a 10 hr delay!

Thanks to everyone for your help!

By the way Morich, that switch detail IS the right one.
Thanks again!!!
Old 05-24-2020, 02:35 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Shot myself in the foot a number of times! If life was simple, they would have somebody else do it!
Glad to see it fixed.

Tags
power