Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2020, 08:20 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

power cord length 2020 micro mini

i bought a 2020 micro minnie in january. i took it to dealer to have a couple add ons and they kept it a week. when i got home the power cord was missing. a tech is trying to find one. can anyone send me a pic and tell me how long it is??? when i did the walk thru at delivery i noticed the cord was very long. the tech gave me a 25' one to use till they hopefully get mine but it seems short when i plugged it in my outlet at home.
i am new to this forum. it seems a lot of the threads are a few years old in the micro minnie group.
anyone have a newer one??
janis

not sure where they get 2:20am for this post. it is 10:22PM EST
giraffenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 08:44 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

You really don't want too long of a cord because there is some voltage drop the longer the cord. 25' is adequate IMHO.
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 08:52 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

25' plus an extension cord is easier to use than a longer cord. In some thirteen years of Rving, I've probably used an extension cord five times or so. In contrast to many home situations, RV park and campgrounds usually have the power posts located close to your rig.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 09:08 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
25' plus an extension cord is easier to use than a longer cord. In some thirteen years of Rving, I've probably used an extension cord five times or so. In contrast to many home situations, RV park and campgrounds usually have the power posts located close to your rig.
I've considered getting a shorter cord, both due to the voltage drop issue I mentioned and just to have a second backup cord with me. It's too bad RVs don't use complementary male/female plugs or you could combine the two to make a longer cord in the unusual circumstance that would be necessary.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:10 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by giraffenut View Post
inot sure where they get 2:20am for this post. it is 10:22PM EST
Janis, the time is a function of the website’s server location, not your location. But, in your Profile you have a setting to designate your location and time zone.

One other suggestion, while filling out you Profile add a Signature containing you TT info including the year, the model and the floor plan ID.

Might I suggest you title your threads with greater detail than one or two words, as well. It will help you get more responses to your requests.

To add a Signature and adjust your time zone to your Profile, click UserCP on the upper menu bar - that option is the first item on the menu bar, far left.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:56 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
I've considered getting a shorter cord, both due to the voltage drop issue I mentioned and just to have a second backup cord with me. It's too bad RVs don't use complementary male/female plugs or you could combine the two to make a longer cord in the unusual circumstance that would be necessary.
I'm not sure what you mean by " RVs don't use complementary male/female" plugs. You can buy RV extension cords with 30A RV male on one end and female on the other so two cords can be connected together. Similarly, 50A RV extension cords are also available.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:06 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean by " RVs don't use complementary male/female" plugs. You can buy RV extension cords with 30A RV male on one end and female on the other so two cords can be connected together. Similarly, 50A RV extension cords are also available.
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....oAZnL._AC_.jpg

Not complementary. (I'm not 100% certain my trailer uses the twist on connection, but that's my recollection.)

Assuming your RV has the twist on inlet, then you could use a short one to a pedestal and a a longer one to a pedestal, but you couldn't connect the two together for a combined length.
Old 03-25-2020, 06:35 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....oAZnL._AC_.jpg

Not complementary. (I'm not 100% certain my trailer uses the twist on connection, but that's my recollection.)

Assuming your RV has the twist on inlet, then you could use a short one to a pedestal and a a longer one to a pedestal, but you couldn't connect the two together for a combined length.
You could connect the two together with an appropriate adapter. If you can't find a commercially available one, the worst case would be to make one. If I understand you right, you need a female 30A RV receptacle on one end and a 30A female twist-lock receptacle on the other end of the adapter. If you go the DIY route, you could build it into an exterior non-metallic box or as a short, corded adapter.

Personally, I think, if the cord at the RV is only 25' long, there's no need for anything shorter, and it would be adequate 95% of the time. That way, a standard 30A RV extension cord of whatever length you desire could be added to it.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:09 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Personally, I think, if the cord at the RV is only 25' long, there's no need for anything shorter, and it would be adequate 95% of the time. That way, a standard 30A RV extension cord of whatever length you desire could be added to it.
I would agree it's adequate length, but if you could use they used compatible connectors then you'd have backup if one were stolen or somehow damaged.

Personally I'm not crazy about having the twist connection inlet on the exterior of trailer. I'd much rather have something inside, and then I could easily change the inlet to whatever I wanted and the cord would seem more secure.
Old 03-26-2020, 09:46 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

thanks. i set up time zone and signature. hopefully correctly! :-)
thanks again for the guidence.
giraffenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 05:05 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

All the Minnies I've seen use the standard twist lock. 25' is pretty standard, but there are some 30, 36, and 50 footers out there. The repair place should get you one the same length as your original, if you want it.

https://www.campingworld.com/30-amp-...%27-72108.html

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Wiring/E...CABEgJ3fvD_BwE
orangeminnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 10:52 PM   #12
Old Dirt Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by giraffenut View Post
i bought a 2020 micro minnie in january. i took it to dealer to have a couple add ons and they kept it a week. when i got home the power cord was missing. a tech is trying to find one. can anyone send me a pic and tell me how long it is??? when i did the walk thru at delivery i noticed the cord was very long. the tech gave me a 25' one to use till they hopefully get mine but it seems short when i plugged it in my outlet at home.
i am new to this forum. it seems a lot of the threads are a few years old in the micro minnie group.
anyone have a newer one??
janis

not sure where they get 2:20am for this post. it is 10:22PM EST
When it is 10:22pm EST, it is 02:20am UTC (also called Zulu time) at the Greenwich Meridian.
MotoMac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power