Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-17-2018, 06:27 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Power control system

Newby here:

Genarator and ac was on working fine. All of a sudden both went off. Added oil to the Generator and it starts easily. New house batteries. AC wont come on and it seems the power system isnt getting power. I've reset the circuit switches on the inverter and inside the coach. the xantrex pro doesnt seem to be getting power also. I've checked all the breaker switches.
The ac is getting power the temp shows. Any suggestions on what next would be appreciated.
knaq51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 06:31 PM   #2
aa1ssradio

Transfer switch or breaker on xantrex inverter or breaker on generator itself. Does it work plugged in??
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 07:03 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

I only have 20 amp power at the house. So new haven't had a chance to install a higher amp yet.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:21 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Electrical problems

Got a 50 amp receptacle put in, plugged in and everything worked for 36 hours.
Then a tone went off and the AC went off and the lights started dimming.
Shouldn't the coach batteries (which are brand new) be charged when the unit is plugged in? I again checked all the breakers in the RV. Are there any other ones that I'm not aware of?

I am truly at a loss as to what to do next other than bring it to the shop for an expensive bill.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks,
Old 07-23-2018, 03:55 AM   #5
aa1ssradio

You need to basically get an AC/DC volt meter and start checking from the plug. Make sure you have AC power coming out of transfer switch and over to Inverter/converter. Make sure converter is putting out 13.8 vdc and check the charge solenoid if you have one to be sure that is engaging. It really is not as hard as it sounds. It is acting like you have a loose connection on transfer switch and AC is dying. I would start by unplugging coach and checking those connections
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 10:40 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by knaq51 View Post
Newby here:

Genarator and ac was on working fine. All of a sudden both went off. Added oil to the Generator and it starts easily. New house batteries. AC wont come on and it seems the power system isnt getting power. I've reset the circuit switches on the inverter and inside the coach. the xantrex pro doesnt seem to be getting power also. I've checked all the breaker switches.
The ac is getting power the temp shows. Any suggestions on what next would be appreciated.
Might be able to help more if you add what make model year of Winneabgo you have.

Do you mean coach AC on generator and you don't have shore power so don't know if the RV works on shore power or not? Please clarify.

Do you mean you can start and run the generator but no AC inside the coach?

The more you can tell us the better for us to give you help. Good luck.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 01:16 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by knaq51 View Post
Newby here:

I see a few issues here that could be causing your problems. (Your problem description is a bit confusing to my in the manner you have written it.) Troubleshoot each separately. Fix what you find and then test for the next possible issue. Use a meter to test for power.

1) Open up your ATS and look for overheated wires. This is a very common problem. Cut back the bad wire. Make certain ALL connections are tight, trouble seen or not. (http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...ire_177254.pdf)

2) Xantrex is not the best inverter in the world. If you have AC power in and nothing out is is likely the inverter is dead.
3) In any case, if you have not checked the circuit breaker on the generator its self do so. Your 5500W generator may not be strong enough to carry both HVAC units. Are they the upgraded (high efficiency heat pump) option? Is the inverter the 1000W option?

Hope we are all inspiring you.
Rick
Old 07-23-2018, 03:15 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for all the info.
I have a 2011 sightseers 36v.
Not sure if HvA is updated or not.
I will try to do all the above suggestions and post an update
We bought a warranty....but would hate to pay the deductable for flipping breaker if that's what's wrong.
Again thanks.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:31 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

You have to have the Battery switch on for the generator to charge batteries. Sounds like invertor bad.
Ga.Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 07:54 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ga.Gator View Post
You have to have the Battery switch on for the generator to charge batteries. Sounds like invertor bad.

Good point about the salesman switch. It is easy to bump these and not realize it.

This is not a poor design. The batteries are disconnected when in storage. The generator can't start. Depending on the system, you may or may not be able to charge your batteries with shore power through the inverter charging system.

Tags
power