Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2007, 01:01 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I tried running cable from receiver out to the satellite in connection in the cabinet above driver's seat where the satellite connections are, but could not get any reception on TV.

Any suggestion?

I have Direct TV

Thanks,

Ron
Ron & Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 01:01 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I tried running cable from receiver out to the satellite in connection in the cabinet above driver's seat where the satellite connections are, but could not get any reception on TV.

Any suggestion?

I have Direct TV

Thanks,

Ron
Old 11-20-2007, 03:08 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

How about obstructions like trees, buildings, mountains, etc?

Do you have it aimed right? Punch in your location's zip code and get the azmuith and elevation. This is in the setup mode.

Go to setup mode on receiver.

Then satellite dish aiming.

Turn the volume up and open the window so you can hear the beep. When they get close together you're there.

You can use walkie talkies on voice activated mode or two cell phones if the distance is significant or you don't want to drive other people or you cats nuts with the volume turned up really loud.

If you have series of buttons where your cable runs into, is the satellite button pushed?

Is your tv programmed to receive satellite?

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 03:27 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Not sure if I understand the question. Are you saying you can't get a signal on your DirecTV receiver?

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 05:07 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Did you press the correct button on the video distrubution box? Should be something like "Sat" or "Sat In"...

07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 05:47 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Sorry, I guess I should have been a little more explicit.

Satellite reception is fine.

I just wanted to hook it up so it would work through the distribution center. I did select Sat. on the distribution center.

I have been using the satellite through the TV front input jacks but wanted to try running it through the distribution center.

Thanks,

Ron
Old 11-20-2007, 08:24 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I believe there are two different inputs. This in not on the "distribution center", but in the cabinet (mine was on the left side, above the drivers seat) and also out in your electrical compartment. One for an internal dish (roof mount) and one for an external dish (set out on the ground). If you hook up to the wrong one no signal will appear on the TV. I also found that the hookups were really not marked right or marked be be kind of confusing. Try the different connections to see, switching from one to the other. Once you get the right one and your Distribution center set to Sat. it should work OK.
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 01:17 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Steve,

I have the two jacks in the cabinet above the drivers seat that is for the satellite dish hook up. The only jacks I have on the outside is for cable.

My Direct TV receiver has a jack for the dish in and a jack for out to TV. There is a switch on the back of the satellite receiver that I can choose channel 3 or 4.

The satellite works through the front TV jacks but I'm not sure if I have to do anything to the TV to get it to receive the satellite signal from the receiver when it is hooked up in the cabinet through one of those jacks.

I searched through most of the satellite discussions about using the portable dish and thought it would be as simple as just running a cable from the receiver out to the satellite in jack in the cabinet, and selecting the satellite button on the distribution center. Maybe I'm still missing something

Ron
Old 11-20-2007, 01:39 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Ron, If I understand correctly, you have a portable dish hooked to your receiver, & then RCA cable to the video input on the front of your TV.

If so, you are using the FRONT video input of your TV, and to receive from your distribution center you have to change the TV input to Antenna (or it might say cable). Use input button on remote to toggle thru them.

Hook up your receiver output coax to the jack located in the cabinet (mine uses the jack on the right). Set your TV channel to the one selected on the Sat Receiver. On the distribution box, Main TV, select Sat.

Should work. This supposes your coach is set-up like mine.

If the jack on the right doesn't work, try the one on the left. One of these jacks should go to the distribution box, the other is for the rooftop dish to connect to, and is the input to the sat receiver.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:21 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Ron - your Winegard distribution center is designed to only switch low band TV (channels 2-13) around. If you hook up the sat receiver channel 3/4 OUT to the INPUT of the distribution box, then the sat receiver channel 3/4 out will be available to be switched to different TVs.

Of course watching satellite TV on channel 3/4 would not provide the best picture. You want the sat receiver output to the TV in this order (non-HD): Component, S-Video, Composite video, last and certainly least, channel 3/4.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 12:27 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Thanks loads for the info and suggestions.

I will experiment this weekend with the different hook ups.

Happy Thanksgiving,

Ron
Old 11-21-2007, 02:09 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Ron & Dee

I use an AB switch, you can get it at Radio Shack, about $15. Add it to the "satellite in" connection on the satellite receiver.

I threw the "distribution box" away after I added a second satellite receiver so we could have "peace" in programming around my place. Good luck,
Old 11-21-2007, 02:11 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I might add I have a "dual LNB" on my KVH Dome antenna and also on my tri-pod antenna.