Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2021, 05:18 PM   #1
NewbieCA

Portable 300watt inverted

I have a 2017 Winnebago Vista 31KE. Can I plug in a 300 watt portable sine wave inverter to the cigarette style plug in on the dashboard of the coach passenger side where there is a fold down work top and the cigarette style plug in and two USB Ports? I could use my lap top at this fold down as we are going down the highway and not have to run the generator.

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Terp71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 06:12 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Looking for specs on power supply needed for one 300 watt output, I see a 30 amp DC input needed. Very unlikely the normal 12 VDC outlet is wired and spec for that high current. It shows number ten gauge wire and that is just way to big to work into the normal outlet.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 02:53 PM   #3
NewbieCA

Thank you for your informative reply
Old 05-30-2021, 08:41 AM   #4
NewbieCA

From my previous post, if I use a 300 watt portable inverter plugged into the cigarette style lighter inside the RV to power my lap top where the lap top has a draw of 9 amps is the wiring able to handle this. I would only use it to charge the lap top when running down the road and nothing else. The Lenovo lap top specs says it draws about 9 amps on startup and them about 5 when operating.
Old 05-30-2021, 08:43 AM   #5
NewbieCA

In my previous post that should be the lap draws about 9 watts on startup and 5 watts when running , not amps. Sorry, I'm not an electrician.
Old 05-30-2021, 10:04 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Okay, that does bring it in much closer, so let's look a bit as these are "calculated" values on specs and they can have some sloppiness to them. Things work slightly different due to simple things like the wiring and components, temperature and all kinds of weird little things we often have to guess at knowing.
The idea is that we are well off to not run too close to the edge---just because we are never too certain where that edge may be!

These are a couple conversion sites that I often use to see how close to the edge:
https://www.rapidtables.com/calc/ele...alculator.html
https://www.rapidtables.com/calc/ele...alculator.html

Amp and watts are both close to the same thing but used at different times. So when you ask if a 300 watt inverter can be used on a lighter plug, I know that the plugs are often fused at 5 amps and the draw for 300watt is near 30 amp, so the answer was a pretty easy "NO".

But when we get down to how much of that potential 300 watts we might actually be using, it gets a little more muddy as some energy is used internally by the inverter so we have to add that to what we think the overall power used will be. And they often don't tell us those details about the inverter, so we need to leave some slack in our thinking.

So if we take the 9 watts that the laptop is expected to use and run it through the conversion to see if it will draw too much power for the outlet to hold, we get a much better answer.

The calculator shows 9 watt at 12 VDC as being near .75 amp!
So if we plug an inverter with "potential" to put out 300 but we only use 9watt and the outlet is the normal thing fused for 5 or 10 amps, we see we have a lot of slack between the .75 the laptop uses plus some for the internals of the inverter before we reach the limits of the plug!

The folks who get really heavy into the thinking can point out there are some factors involved which makes the answer less precise but we have so much extra room for guessing that I would say go for it as a pretty good bet to work!

When looking for the edge, I'm okay with seeing the numbers show.75 plus a bit when we are thinking near 60 watts as safe for a plug fused even at the lower number of 5 amps. Sorry that I can't say with certainty, so if I were doing it, I might look for an inverter that I could try in the real world and return if a total bust!

I'm much bolder when the worst that can happen is I have to return the inverter and replace the fuse on the outlet!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 10:07 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

We used a small 12v 100w inverter on road trips when our kids were little that would power a 13" crt tv with built in vcr (this was 20 years ago lol).

Right now I have one similar to this one.
Old 05-30-2021, 12:47 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

5 watts running power sounds awfully small for a laptop. Years ago I powered my laptop with a 150 watt inverter and it drew about 40 watts.

But no matter, your 300 watt inverter will only draw the DC current it needs to make enough power for the laptop. Most cigarette lighter outlets are good for 15 amps or about 180 watts, so you have lots of margin.

Go for it.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote