Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-26-2021, 02:07 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Plugging in to house? Micro Minnie 1808FBS

Newbie here. Can you plug into house power? If so what do we need in order to do that?
Ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 06:11 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Yes you can, you will likely need an adapter to go from your rig power cord to your house rec. A common adapter is 30 amp (RV) to 15 amp (house power). But remember if your rig uses a 30 amp plug connecting to home power will only provide 15 or 20 amp depending on how the house is wired. The cord adapters are available at most RV shops on online.
Sparky19053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 07:16 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

To expand on Mrueth's response:

You'll need an appropriate adapter. This will be either a 30A (standard) to 15A adapter or a 50A to 15A adapter if you have the optional 50A shore power service. You can tell by the configuration of the plug on your shore power cord. Here are some links so you can determine which one you need:

30A: https://www.amazon.com/Epicord-Dogbo...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

50A: https://www.amazon.com/MICTUNING-Dog...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

With the proper adapter, either will plug into a residential outlet or extension cord. If you use an extension cord, keep it as short as possible and use a heavy duty cord. This is key. There are tables online that will tell you the gauge cord you need based on distance and amps. In your case, I'd use 20A as your rating to be safe (you'll have less voltage loss):

https://www.protoolreviews.com/exten...re-gauge-amps/

Keep in mind that your house outlet will provide either 15A or 20A, depending on the rating of the breaker controlling it, while your rig is designed for either 30A or 50A as the case may be. This means you might not be able to operate your A/C, and, if you can, it's doubtful you'll be able to use much else at the same time without tripping your house breaker. Think of it as plugging everything into one outlet in your house. Trying to run your microwave and toaster at the same time will probably trip your breaker.

Another suggestion: Go to the User CP in the toolbar and set up a signature block similar to mine so we don't have to go to your profile to see what kind of rig you have. It's still a good idea to mention it in your post but, if you forget, we'll all know from you signature block. In addition to the year and model of your rig, include the info on your tow vehicle.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 08:06 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

If plugging into the house as noted you will have to limit what you want. If AC is needed make sure the water tank is off or you will continuously flip the breaker.

Go to amazon and get heavy duty extension cords for rv's there and they will be cheaper than any rv shop/dealer. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=rv+electr...ref=nb_sb_noss
hank857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 07:03 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks! Very helpful!
Old 06-30-2021, 04:51 PM   #6

Depending on the location of your electrical panel and whether it has any spare room, it's relatively inexpensive to add a single breaker and a dedicated receptacle on the outside of your home. Cheaper even, if you drill your own holes. Especially worth considering if you plan on using your rig often as a spare bedroom, or you need the air conditioner and the microwave at the same time. It cost me about $200 for the parts, permit, and a licensed electrician for a 30 Amp circuit breaker, 6 feet of cable, receptacle, and weatherproof box.
Jos 56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 05:12 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Plug in to.house

Thanks to everyone for your responses. You are all very helpful.
Old 06-30-2021, 05:24 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

We keep our Navion powered up nearly all the time, started out with a dedicated 20 amp but soon added a dedicated 30 amp to run everything just as if we were at a RV site. Dont forget your surge guard. We spent less than $150 for the wire / breaker and box. Lucky for me at the time of the install we had an electrician in the house doing some HVAC work and he hooked up the breaker.
Old 07-01-2021, 06:46 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVwithDogs View Post
We keep our Navion powered up nearly all the time, started out with a dedicated 20 amp but soon added a dedicated 30 amp to run everything just as if we were at a RV site. Dont forget your surge guard. We spent less than $150 for the wire / breaker and box. Lucky for me at the time of the install we had an electrician in the house doing some HVAC work and he hooked up the breaker.
So my 220 plug in my garage will house my 30 amp supply to my trailer?
KeithB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 07:58 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

The RV uses 120 volt, 30 amp NOT 220 volt!
If you don’t run the AC you can probably get by fine with 120v, 20 amp circuit plus adapter plug from RV 30amp to Std. 120 extension cord. Use a heavy 12 gauge (or 14 gauge if very short) extension cord.

If you run the entire coach with AC install an Easy Start on the AC unit which cuts the starting inrush current by ~70%. I run my 2020 Navion with no problems including the AC in florida heat if needed. I also have a 30A 120 v hookup for long term.

Be sure and get a good adapter plug pigtail (RV 30A to 120 Ext. cord) and not just a cheap small module.
Check the connections for heat after running a while to make sure you are not drawing too much current. Should be no problem..
RickoJ is offline   Reply With Quote