Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2014, 11:35 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Pilot lite

all of a sudden my panel says pilot lite is out. I checked the tank and have a half tank. don't know where to look
leadfoot2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:13 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

leadfoot2, Pilot may just need cleaning.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot2 View Post
all of a sudden my panel says pilot lite is out. I checked the tank and have a half tank. don't know where to look
leadfoot2
Where in/on your 2004 Itasca Suncruiser is there a "pilot light".
Wondering
mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 01:28 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Ok 1st I do not know where it is to light. Not even sure there is one. 2nd On the panel under the hot water heater off/on switch are two lights heater on and pilot light out. I don't even know where to relight it.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:09 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Do you have a dual electric/propane water heater?

If so, read on.

If you have the same heater I have, 10 gallon Atwood, there are two quick things to check.

1. Is the electric heater turned on? If so, the red pilot light will stay out (even with the propane on) until it is needed--provided number 2 is still good.

2. There is a thermal cutoff diode that should be positioned directly over and about 9" above the vent slots on the burner. If this fails, gas will not work and you will never get the red pilot light indication. The good news is this: the part is cheap and most RV shops stock it.

I had the exact indications you had and item 2 fixed it. If neither of these are the problem, there are two other relatively inexpensive parts to check/replace. 1. The ECO switch and 2. the Fixed Temp Thermostat.

Failing that, you can clean the burner and orifice.

If this system is working, the red pilot light indication will be on until the burner relights--there is no specific pilot light in the water heater I have--it is electric spark gap ignition.

Scott
Old 08-20-2014, 07:23 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Yes I do have an atwood model: GCH10A-4E Will have to download the manual for it and trouble shoot tomorrow. Thank you your infl was a great help.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:12 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Just a thought before you dig too deep into the heater... you said you checked your tank and it was 1/2 full but do you know the propane is flowing? Have you tried your stove top or furnace? Scott gave you great info, but wondering if its something more simple like someone hit the propane shut-off switch or something similar.

If you stand by the water heater and have someone turn off/on the gas-heat switch, do you hear the electric ignition 'popping' and the sound of air flowing?

Just a thought...
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 05:02 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by emiddleb View Post
Just a thought before you dig too deep into the heater... you said you checked your tank and it was 1/2 full but do you know the propane is flowing? Have you tried your stove top or furnace? Scott gave you great info, but wondering if its something more simple like someone hit the propane shut-off switch or something similar.

If you stand by the water heater and have someone turn off/on the gas-heat switch, do you hear the electric ignition 'popping' and the sound of air flowing?

Just a thought...
That's great information! I wish I would have written it! When I checked this, I used my iPhone, set it to video, put it under the burner, started the video recording, then went inside and turned the water heater on. On the video playback, I heard the sparks (pops) but no flame. I knew I had gas (I always keep the propane tank full) and the stove worked, so it had to be something else.

The thing is, the water heater is very easy to repair provided the tank is not broken. It can be intimidating at first, so stick with it and you'll find it to be a breeze!

Scott
Old 08-21-2014, 09:37 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thank you all for the great info. I am still waiting on my pump replacement. So I have time to read and study the problem. It may be connected with the pump issue. I may be in over my head. Not sure about this one. I hate gas. The stove has never been lit to my knowledge.
Again thanks. Will let you how it goes.
Old 08-22-2014, 05:38 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot2 View Post
Thank you all for the great info. I am still waiting on my pump replacement. So I have time to read and study the problem. It may be connected with the pump issue. I may be in over my head. Not sure about this one. I hate gas. The stove has never been lit to my knowledge.
Again thanks. Will let you how it goes.
Gas is dangerous and having a healthy attitude when dealing with it is a good thing. Just remember to turn off the gas and house power when you're replacing parts, read the manuals (I have manuals on my iPad and have it with me throughout repairs) and you should be fine. If you have questions, ask. Also, use YouTube as a resource. There are some good and some not so good videos about water heaters there. The best one I found (and I will try to locate it later today and post a link) starts off as the most boring thing ever, but has a TON of useful information. The key is to use your resources to your advantage.

I have had to work on two gas systems in my motor home, the water heater (obviously) and the refrigerator. I was afraid when I was working on the refrigerator, but when something has to be done, it needs to be done right and safely. There is no such thing as being too cautious.

Scott
Old 08-22-2014, 03:04 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Here's the link I mentioned earlier this morning:

He has a lot of good stuff on his YouTube Channel.

Scott
Old 08-24-2014, 10:30 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Thank you all so very much. All your post gave me motivation to dig deep. I was chicken to go into it so I waited untill I had the new pump installed and filled the fresh water tank and drained out the bleach water filled again and opened valuve to hot water heater and bingo no more red pilot out light. Thanks for all the help.

Old 08-24-2014, 06:43 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Great! I'm happy the problem is resolved!

Scott