Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2012, 06:56 AM   #41
IC2
Winnebago Camper

I guess that MHs in the grand scheme is really a limited market, that most owners are fairly affluent and will often suffer quietly, repairing at their expense, dropping out of RVing - or just purchasing a replacement, either a Winnebago or other brand and hoping the problem will 'go away'.

While not a MH owner, have found that automobile and truck manufacturers pretty much got away from major rust problems by using a galvanized steel plus priming and painting and now powder coating. If you recall how badly the cars through the '70s at least, rusted and compare them to current vehicles, you will see the difference. With this problem, I'm surprised that a class action lawsuit hasn't been started. Yep, the lawyers win biggest, but at least you owners will have the satisfaction that something will be done, even if minimal and that the manufacturer will be forced in the future to change to better processes and frameworks.

Best of luck to you MH owners with this problem. I don't envy you a bit.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:13 AM   #42
Winnebago Camper

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weimaraner View Post
Ok, I just posted about the advisability of purchasing a 2003 Adventure 38G. Do ALL winnies have this problem? I'll sure see if there is a rust problem now and also look into whether it had been fixed. Is there an absolute permanent fix for this problem? Why wasn't there a factory recall?
So it sounds like any Winnebago is too risky. We live in Houston with very high humidity. I'm sorry, because I love the way the sofa comes out electrically into a bed. This good pre-owned dealer has another gasser in the same price range.
What do y'all think of a 2004 Fleetwood Flair 33R, 32 ft, 12,349 miles, Chevy 8.1, new tires. It's 7 feet shorter than the Winnie. I also don't like how the bed head is up against a window. How do you lean back, against the blinds?

Help is so appreciated, since we're total novices!
Old 11-03-2012, 08:33 AM   #43
Winnebago Master

I don't wish ill will towards Winnebago, but this is terrible and could have been avoided. Maybe a class action suit would get some restitution although normally the attorneys end up with the booty.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:45 PM   #44
Winnebago Master

I agree. I think it was a serious engineering error, no reason to have any leaks with technology available today. I also think they should laminate with an adhesive that isn't water soluble, thus eliminating most delamination.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:50 PM   #45
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weimaraner View Post
So it sounds like any Winnebago is too risky. We live in Houston with very high humidity. I'm sorry, because I love the way the sofa comes out electrically into a bed. This good pre-owned dealer has another gasser in the same price range.
This subject has been covered quite extensively in at least three different threads, so there is no question that it is a real and fairly common problem.

If you like the motorhome, have a professional glass shop inspect it. You can tell a lot just by removing all the reveal molding and look for rust. BUT the only way to truly know completely is to pull the actual windshields and due to a high breakage rate, the dealer isn't going to let you do that. And you probably don't want to be on the financial hook if things go wrong... knowing what I now know on this issue, if you like the motorhome, and looking behind just the reveal molding doesn't scare you off, maybe you can use it as a negotiating tool. While they may not give you an additional $3,500 discount, maybe they'll offer something that you feel is fair and then have the work done, or postpone it for a future project that's already partly 'paid-for'.

On the other hand, if there is a lot of rust, you've got to assume the worst and that a major repair is necessary... either the dealer discounts the motorhome the full $3,500, does the complete repair to your satisfaction, or keep looking for another 'this-ones-perfect' motorhome.

It's a shame that some people might not want to take the risk and hassle, especially since there is no certainty that it won't happen again in another 3-5 years, but that's a decision that Winnebago knowingly and willingly have put prospective buyers in by refusing any & all help. -RT
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:24 AM   #46
Winnebago Master

Well written reply with lots of good common sense. It is such a shame that a great company like Winnebago allowed this to ever happen and even worse they do not feel the need to remedy it. It is similar to the pocks that appeared in 2000-2001, however they did respond to that one and made me whole.
I want to stay with Winnebago, but not willing to take that great of a risk.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote