Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-07-2019, 11:08 AM   #1
Site Team

PCI/PCS and Inverter control

Here's a feature on my Adventurer that I knew nothing about until reading about it on www.irv2.com's Newmar Owners forum.

The Precision Circuits Inc, Powerline Power Control System came standard on my 2017 Adventurer. I found it interesting and efficient, especially when on 30-amp service with my 50-amp coach. But not much else.

Then reading the Newmar forum (a number of my systems overlap many Newmar models so I keep up with that forum) someone mentioned that there was a Magnum Inverter function on the PCI - PCS system's owner's manual.

You know that the Powerline System monitors your power usage automatically. When you plug your 50-amp RV into a 30-amp shore power connection the PCS monitors AC usage and "Sheds" loads when you get close to running out of available amperage. The downside of this is that the PCS will shed the load of one A/C unit on a hot day because the two A/C units combined require nearly 30-amps when they are both running.

BUT, when your inverter is on (it must be on) the PCS monitors the status of the Inverter. And, as you get close to the 30-amp limit instead of shedding the load of one A/C unit it will reduce or even turn off your Magnum Inverter's charging function to free up power while starting your A/C. And, if your appliance usage calls for it your PCS will - get this - use your inverter to supplement your AC power for short periods of time.

This means when you need to camp at a park with only 30-amp sites available that you can relax and let your PCS and your Inverter fill work together to provide additional amps of electricity as needed.

Now, if you have Solar panels installed this is an even bigger plus because your Solar panels are adding free power to your batteries at the same time your PCS is using some of it up to augment your power as needed.

So, cool.

I knew that Magnum sells special "Hybrid" Inverter models that had this capability - but I had no idea my WBGO with a standard non-hybrid inverter had this same functionality.

I used to only leave my inverter on when driving or when dry-camping/boondocking. Now, I keep it on all the time when I'm actively using the RV that way my PCS system can use the inverter to full advantage.

PS. I'd hazzard a guess that other late model Class A Winnebago's with a residential fridge have this ability as well. Adventurer, Forza, Journey, Tour, Grand Tour and Horizon models (and corresponding Itasca models) that come with OEM residential fridges and Magnum Inverter/Chargers along with PCI/Powerline Control systems (I think they all have that, too) would all be set up this way.
Old 12-07-2019, 11:20 AM   #2
Site Team

Here is what that PowerLine Control System remote will show you when the system is connected to your Magnum Inverter/Charger and the Inverter is on. When the system needs power from the Inverter or to turn off the charger to free up power it would show that here as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PCS.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	190.7 KB
ID:	172522  
Old 12-07-2019, 02:46 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Perfect example why it could be an advantage to have 240V appliances on board...
cj_calva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 02:49 PM   #4
Site Team

Not in the USA CJ. You're from the EU where that's not only common it's the norm. It would be difficult to impossible to attempt that here.

Do you live in Sausalito part of the year, or full time now?

Tags
inverter