Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2013, 08:33 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Outside Temp and Compass

I have a 2012 Itasca Ellipse 42QD and it really surprises me that the dash display doesn't have outside temperature or compass display. This being one of the top of the line for Winnebago. Can I add these items myself?
The Bay I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:16 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Well Sir,
Our present rig, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330 CAT came with one. I'd have to look it up on the spec sheet and, possibly the brochure for our coach to get a name or model. I don't see why it couldn't be added. The only problem you might have is, where to put the screen.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:38 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

My '04 Adventurer has a digital temperature and compass on the dash beneath the radio. I don't know if it was standard equipment or an option. I also thought the Adventurer was Winnebago's top-of-the-line, but whatever, they are much the same.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:20 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

We just purchased a 2013 Adventurer which is now the top of the line for gas powered models. I too was disappointed we couldn't get the same electronic compass/thermometer we had on our 2001 Adventurer. It does however have an outdoor thermometer built into the Ford supplied instrument cluster. There's a switch to the lower right of the instrument cluster labeled "Reset Setup Info". You can use the "Info" button to scroll through a number of items to be displayed above the odometer. One of the selections is "outdoor thermometer".

We also have a compass built into our Garmin GPS system. The Garmin is a portable unit we used in our older motorhome. While both the temperature and directional information are available I much preferred the system built into the dash of our old motorhome. I'm currently trying to find an aftermarket system similar to the old one.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:15 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Here is an after market Thermometer and Compass
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:00 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks all, it may be that freightliner didn't add this versus Winnebago. John thanks for the link as this may be what I do.
The Bay I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:08 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Here is a link to the outside temp and compass that was on our 03 Journey.
Electronics, lighting and mold convenience items from American Technology Components
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:56 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

The Winnebago Part Number is 136119-01-000. That may not include all the harnesses. Here is a link to Winnebago Service Tips on the Compass Thermometer.

Winnebago Service Tips Compass/Thermometer
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:35 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Here is a link to the Compass/Temperature dash mount display that I have in my Winnebago Journey. These were used in several model Winnebagos over several years.

Electronics, lighting and mold convenience items from American Technology Components

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:16 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

I believe it is available through Freightliner. Our coach is new to us. As I explored the dash controls (I find very cumbersome) I noticed a notation for the thermometer. My screen informed me that it was not equipped. When I get the time I will look into this more. In the interim someone here may have already done the footwork for us. I don't recall if a compass is available in that screen.
Old 08-31-2013, 06:12 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

On my 13 Tour, compass and temp are included in the radio display.
ditto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:50 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I too thouight they were included in the infotainment display on '12 and '13 models.

jerichorick, on my Tour, I discovrererd that Freightliner does indeed have a module for this function, but Winnebago did not order it. When I discussed with Freightliner about getting it and installing, I learned that they wanted way too much for it.

I went to American Technology Components as sited by Sammie and got their display. Since I really did not have a good place to put it on my dash, I purchased the ceiling mount box and installed it on the headliner above the dash at the top of the windshield and behind the front cabinets. I placed it right over the driver's chair. Easy install, great visibility, works great and looks like it belongs there. Total costs were less than $300 back 3 years ago.
RBK394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:56 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

RBK394 thanks for the input. I now have a roof issue to address and the thought of spending $300+ for a convenience toy is out of the question. But your fix is a great one and I will keep it in mind. I have a bookmark for RV stuff and I will find this and pin it.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:04 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

I have been looking for an outside thermometer and compass unit to put in my Destination. More wanting the temperature than the compass. After seeing this thread, ordered the Winnebago Unit (American Technology Components). Less than $200. Now just got to put it in - One more job, maybe do this after replacing the mirror backsplash around the cooktop.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:31 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey53usa View Post
I have been looking for an outside thermometer and compass unit to put in my Destination. More wanting the temperature than the compass. After seeing this thread, ordered the Winnebago Unit (American Technology Components). Less than $200. Now just got to put it in - One more job, maybe do this after replacing the mirror backsplash around the cooktop.
A few days ago I sent an e mail to American Technology Components to see where I could purchase one of their units. They said I could order it directly from tham and supplied me with an e mail address and phone number. I haven't gotten back to them yet so I don't have a price. It'll be interesting to know what the price would be from them as opposed to through Winnebago.

As a side note I purchased a new in the box spare American Technology Components unit for our 2001 Adventurer from the Winnebago surplus store when it was still in business. It looks exactly like one they still currently sell. I'll take a look at their online manuals to see if it's the same unit. I might not have to shell out another couple hunded bucks if all works out.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:41 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Just a little fix, after having one in our 03 Journey I install one in my Ford truck. I drove the truck a lot more at night an the temp/Compass read wouldn't dim enough to stop the brightness. I added a small peace of window tint to the readout and that took care of the excessive brightness.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:25 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
Just a little fix, after having one in our 03 Journey I install one in my Ford truck. I drove the truck a lot more at night an the temp/Compass read wouldn't dim enough to stop the brightness. I added a small peace of window tint to the readout and that took care of the excessive brightness.
Great idea Grant. My temp/compass is also too bright at night. I will use your idea to fix mine.

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote