Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2008, 10:38 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

My Good Governor indicates that I have an open ground. When I am on the inverter it is OK and I tested the power at the CG electrical box and it is also OK.

Since I am in a CG, I have not tested with the generator. Any ideas as to the potential problem. Everything is running OK.

Nick, Journey '01
Old 01-25-2008, 10:38 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

My Good Governor indicates that I have an open ground. When I am on the inverter it is OK and I tested the power at the CG electrical box and it is also OK.

Since I am in a CG, I have not tested with the generator. Any ideas as to the potential problem. Everything is running OK.

Nick, Journey '01
Old 01-25-2008, 01:10 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Nick - pardon my ignorance, but what is a "Good Governor." Where is this device when it is indicating an open ground? You are a little sparse with details.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 01:28 PM   #4
doc
Winnebago Owner

Is the "good governor" a republican or a democrat?

Couldn't help myself
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 01:36 PM   #5
I helped | retired moderator

GOOD GOVERNOR

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 04:39 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

It is a digital volt meter that plugs into any socket and gives me the current voltage plus checks for incorrect wiring, etc.

I have a 50 amp coach but am plugged into a 30 box. I use an adaptor and a surge protector. When I am on inverter power there is no such indicator of an open ground.

I plugged in without the surge protector and still had an open ground reading and I used a different pigtail adaptor with the same results. I have yet to try the generator but I am guessing that the problem must be in the cord.

I am not very knowledgeable about electricity but that is what I am thinking at the moment.

Nick
Old 01-26-2008, 05:12 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Hi Nick..I'm no expert but this is where I would start...I'm assuming that your tester is showing all the outlets in your rig have an open ground when on shore power and that you tested the campground 30A outlet that you are plugged into..Did you test the cg outlet with a multimeter ...If all is ok there, make sure that the ground prong (the round one)on your rigs 50A cord is clean..Follow the cord into your transfer switch and check for continuity from the ground prong of your plug to the green wire connection in the transfer switch (unplugged of course)and that the connections are tight..Then from there to your converter/inverter if your rig is wired this way, checking all connections...If you have limited electrical knowledge, I wouldn't go much furthur..May be one of the experts here will help more..Here is a good rv electric site...
http://www.myrv.us/electric/
movin-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 02:25 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Hmmm... so there is a good ground at the power pedestal but your tester is indicating lack of the ground in a coach outlet.

Have you tested several outlets with the same results?

Do you get the same indication when on 50 amp service?

You should review your coach's wiring AC wiring diagram and start doing continuity tests. If you aren't comfortable with doing that, time to see a good tech.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote