Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-05-2021, 12:45 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Only coax to TV, but DVD's play?

2021 2108DS. The TV appears to only have a single coax cable running to it that supplies OTA channels. Yet the Connex DVD player works fine. I looked behind the Connex unit and the HDMI connector is in use. Does this go to some sort of device that pushes the video and sound through to coax to the tv?

And a bonus question. There is a 2nd unused coax jack near the TV. Any idea what this one is for.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3289.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	178686   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3291.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	178687  

Name:	IMG_3293.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	178688  
Frankf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 06:30 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Figured out what was going on. There is indeed a HDMI cable running from the Connex DVD player to the TV. The input was on the BOTTOM of the TV and somehow I had missed it. The TV has more HDMI inputs on the side so I assumed that was where all the inputs are.

Anyhow with the TV playing , the DVD powered on and ARC selected the TV plays thru the speakers in the RV. Once you adjust the sound settings it's not too bad.

Is the 2nd coax connector above the TV the input for the outside connectot labeled PARK CABLE. That one is does not have a power amplifier like the OTA antenna coax port does.
Old 05-10-2021, 08:25 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankf View Post
Is the 2nd coax connector above the TV the input for the outside connectot labeled PARK CABLE. That one is does not have a power amplifier like the OTA antenna coax port does.
It’s likely a connector for a Satellite receiver. There should be an external connector for a Satellite dish input.
Old 05-10-2021, 08:42 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
It’s likely a connector for a Satellite receiver. There should be an external connector for a Satellite dish input.
I do have a coax input on the side of the TT labeled "Park Cable"

Some RV parks have cable like the one we are going to in July. I think this is the 2nd one over the TV that is not hooked up. When you hook up the RV parks cable to the outside coax jack, I believe you have to move the coax from the TV to the other connector just beside the OTA coax connector.

I'll find out for sure in July.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3291.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	178768  
Old 05-10-2021, 08:57 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

FYI? I might guess that there is a tiny little push button on the faceplate that is shown second one in with coax in your pictures.
Maybe not, but what I expect to find in many RV is that there is a tiny push button on the faceplate and it controls power to an amp on the OTA antenna as well as does the switching from cable input with no power to the OTA with power!

So do I see a tiny switch in your pictures or do my eyes lie to me?

If there is a switch there, it needs to be changed when using OTA or cable? Looks like a terrible place to put it but they are semi-famous for hard to find!

Check this post for how hard to find:
https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...er-354995.html

Hope for the best and it sometimes works?
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 01:19 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
FYI? I might guess that there is a tiny little push button on the faceplate that is shown second one in with coax in your pictures.
Maybe not, but what I expect to find in many RV is that there is a tiny push button on the faceplate and it controls power to an amp on the OTA antenna as well as does the switching from cable input with no power to the OTA with power!

So do I see a tiny switch in your pictures or do my eyes lie to me?

If there is a switch there, it needs to be changed when using OTA or cable? Looks like a terrible place to put it but they are semi-famous for hard to find!

Check this post for how hard to find:
https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...er-354995.html

Hope for the best and it sometimes works?
Yes Richard, The OTA coax is indeed amplified when you push the switch in. A green LED will illuminate when on. This just runs to an antenna on the roof that looks like a car radio antenna. Does an ok job of pulling in locals.

I'm going to check the 2nd coax port with a multimeter. I'm 99% sure it runs to the jack on the outside of the TT labeled "Park CABLE" That one of course it not amplified as it's a cable signal.
Old 05-10-2021, 03:09 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

There really is supposed to be some order to their methods and they are supposed to have marks on the coax but that is still worth checking!
This is a link to the coax info for motorhomes and it gives the color bands which we might expect to see on coax IF they do the same in trailers, it may be helpful to tell which is which coax?
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ire_110138.pdf
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	coax.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	178775  
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 04:27 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

We have a 2106ds and yep - you figured it out. for some unknown reason the company just seems to assume that everyone either knows these things or can figger them out.No labels, etc certainly doesn't help either.
n9wdq is offline   Reply With Quote