Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2010, 08:26 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Skype™ to BlueLine
Onan's Lack of Gauges

I have a 99 Winnebago 34V with a , 5.9 Cummins, and a 7.5 Cummins-Onan Genset. I just overcame the shortage of information provided on the Freightliner dash for the main engine with a Silverleaf VMSpc. However the gensets instrumentation is sorely lacking, the only thing installed was a Hobbs meter for run time. I've tried to research old posts that may have a solution to no avail. I've also tried dealer's website's...no luck. Does anyone have a solution that would provide me with Oil pressure and Coolant temp, either electric or mechanical .
BlueLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:18 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Great questions...I've wondered this myself. What VMSpc unit did you go with, out of curiosity? We just bought an Ultimate Freedom unit, and will be taking delivery later this week (pending an inspection). I'd like to be able to add something like a VMSpc unit, but am not all that familiar with their products.

I do like the looks of this though, as I could also run a nice GPS application like Street Atlas. But I will need to spend some time over the winter researching it some more, because I am just not sure what I will need for that installation.

TB
tcbetka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 03:42 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

My 94 Cummins/Onan 7.5 DKDFJ appears to have a 1/4" NPT bung welded right in the radiator - a most perfect spot for a generic mechanical temperature sending unit. There is also an 1/8" NPT bung on the same mounting boss for the oill filter - that appears to be a perfect spot for a generic mechanical oil pressure sending unit.

If your 1999 model is like mine, and has no ECM/PCM monitoring of temp and oil pressure that you could obtain signals from, then you could always add your own mechanical gauges. There is plenty of room under the dash area to mount a couple of 2" mechanical gauges. Several manufacturers make a decent set of gauges for under $50.00 (including sending units) that would work nicely. (See Jegs or Summit Racing online catalogs)

Edit: Here is an example: Summit Racing SUM-G2924 - Summit Racing® Mechanical Analog Gauge Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Analog, Console, 2 1/16 in., Water Temperature, Oil Pressure, Kit WITH sending units.

Only $18.00!
Attached Images

Old 11-02-2010, 05:04 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcbetka View Post
Great questions...I've wondered this myself. What VMSpc unit did you go with, out of curiosity? We just bought an Ultimate Freedom unit, and will be taking delivery later this week (pending an inspection). I'd like to be able to add something like a VMSpc unit, but am not all that familiar with their products.

I do like the looks of this though, as I could also run a nice GPS application like Street Atlas. But I will need to spend some time over the winter researching it some more, because I am just not sure what I will need for that installation.

TB
TB, This is the way to go, greatest thing since sliced bread, and you can custom build several sreens to monitor different items. Silver Leaf Electronics is the parent of the VMSpc, but what I can't figure out is that you can buy this same unit from RV Upgrades for $240. + $12. shipping. When you get the unit it will come directly from SilverLeaf Electronics. It would be nice if you had one prior to your purchase so you could plug it in and see whats happening, and any stored trouble codes. The unit is actually better than described. You get the software with it and an updated JIB box with USB cable attached. It installs in minutes. The only thing you need to know is what diagnostic plug you have, a 6 pin or a 9 pin. If your getting a newer unit you'll probably have a 9 pin. The plug is normally under the dash near the steering column and is circular in shape and grey in color. The hardest thing to do after installation is identify which Com port it is utilizing. This is easily overcome by going to the Advanced-Communications Pull down and it will search and find it for you, then all you have to do is assign it and your off and running. You'll also see as soon as you initially plug it in that it will flash a red LED on the JIB box indicating the ECM is alive and well and talking to the JIB. Once you see the unit working you'll be convinced that your money was well spent.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:21 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94-Newmar View Post
My 94 Cummins/Onan 7.5 DKDFJ appears to have a 1/4" NPT bung welded right in the radiator - a most perfect spot for a generic mechanical temperature sending unit. There is also an 1/8" NPT bung on the same mounting boss for the oill filter - that appears to be a perfect spot for a generic mechanical oil pressure sending unit.

If your 1999 model is like mine, and has no ECM/PCM monitoring of temp and oil pressure that you could obtain signals from, then you could always add your own mechanical gauges. There is plenty of room under the dash area to mount a couple of 2" mechanical gauges. Several manufacturers make a decent set of gauges for under $50.00 (including sending units) that would work nicely. (See Jegs or Summit Racing online catalogs)

Edit: Here is an example: Summit Racing SUM-G2924 - Summit Racing® Mechanical Analog Gauge Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Analog, Console, 2 1/16 in., Water Temperature, Oil Pressure, Kit WITH sending units.

Only $18.00!
Thanx 94-Newmar, This is exactly the information I was looking for, now all I have to do is crawl back under and look for the bungs you were describing, once found and sizes confirmed all I have to do is wait for the UPS man to bring me a set to install
Old 11-02-2010, 10:16 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLine View Post
TB, This is the way to go, greatest thing since sliced bread, and you can custom build several sreens to monitor different items. Silver Leaf Electronics is the parent of the VMSpc, but what I can't figure out is that you can buy this same unit from RV Upgrades for $240. + $12. shipping. When you get the unit it will come directly from SilverLeaf Electronics. It would be nice if you had one prior to your purchase so you could plug it in and see whats happening, and any stored trouble codes. The unit is actually better than described. You get the software with it and an updated JIB box with USB cable attached. It installs in minutes. The only thing you need to know is what diagnostic plug you have, a 6 pin or a 9 pin. If your getting a newer unit you'll probably have a 9 pin. The plug is normally under the dash near the steering column and is circular in shape and grey in color. The hardest thing to do after installation is identify which Com port it is utilizing. This is easily overcome by going to the Advanced-Communications Pull down and it will search and find it for you, then all you have to do is assign it and your off and running. You'll also see as soon as you initially plug it in that it will flash a red LED on the JIB box indicating the ECM is alive and well and talking to the JIB. Once you see the unit working you'll be convinced that your money was well spent.
George,

Thanks for the reply. However your link doesn't work...at least I think it's a link (it's underscored). I will be taking deliver of the unit on Friday, and will have some time over the weekend to go through it for a couple of hours--and this is one of the things I'll be looking for. However some of that time will need to be spent Winterizing the unit, as it's been in Kentucky and has not yet been prepared for Winter. It's been in the mid-20s here in Green Bay lately! Instead of paying a dealer to winterize the system, I think I will try to spend a few hours reading the manuals on Saturday, and then try to get it Winterized myself...although I don't know what the Hydro-Hot system will take to Winterize.

But I will definitely have a look for the plug you spoke of. I'll look into the RV Upgrades site as well.

Thanks for the tips!

TB
Old 11-03-2010, 06:56 PM   #7
KIX
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcbetka View Post
But I will definitely have a look for the plug you spoke of. I'll look into the RV Upgrades site as well.TB
The plug on our UA was under / behind a carpeted left foot rest tothe left of the steering wheel. Hope this will help you find yours.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:42 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Originally Posted by BlueLine
TB, This is the way to go,
TB I was just mirroring your Underlined "This", because that was the site you need, but already had. I forgot to mention besides the plug being grey and round it will have a distinctive circular pattern of round holes (6 or 9) in the open face.
Also I'm not that familiar with your MH or the Hydro Hot System. However if you create a New Thread under either the manufacture Forum or RV General Forum, I'm sure someone will be able to help. You can also search past posts on the subject by going to the Google search box at the top right side of the page and type in Hydro Hot System and then Go and it will bring up all the old posts which I find helpfull.
Enjoy the new acquisition.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:04 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Ah...gotcha. I found the manual for the Hydro-Hot units online, and downloaded it. It looks like Winterization is fairly straightforward.

Our coach delivery has been pushed back one day due to weather, so it'll arrive on Saturday. Hopefully I'll get it Winterized then, and will have some time to investigate the plug/harness issue this weekend. It will be going into storage soon, unfortunately, so I won't get a chance to get that system configured this fall. But I should have plenty of time to do research over the Winter!

TB