Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2022, 06:26 PM   #1
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Onan rare generator issue

Bear with me I’ll make this as short as possible, but I want to give you as much information as well to help me with this diagnosis, to avoid extraneous rabbit hole options…

THE BACKSTORY:

 We were away off grid, and running the generator which is a 2018 Onan 4000.

 It has been meticulously exercised two hours a month since I bought it new, and I do the proper oil changes ahead of schedule.

 I’ve had no issues with the generator whatsoever, to date.

That said, on this trip, we were not plugged in for eight hours, and at 76% battery capacity (4x 100 amp Battleborn’s), when I fired up the generator.

It ran fine, started up fine, and continue to run, and powered all 120v outlets.

The microwave lit up indicating that I had 120v power. But after I started USING the microwave— 10 minutes into the generator start up, the generator no longer provided power. IT WAS STILL RUNNING JUST FINE! Just no longer providing power to the RV.

Then, minutes later, the power from the generator would return, without me doing anything.

Now, at least to me, what was interesting was that while no power was being provided by the generator to the coach outlets, the generator continued to run just fine-no surging—steady run.

 The temperature outside was 49°.
 The gas tank for the RV was full.
 The coach batteries are 4 x 100 battle born lithium batteries and they were at 76% capacity.
 Only thing on in the RV was the residential refrigerator and the microwave.
 We were parked on the street with a slight slope to the starboard.

Now you may be about to ask, if you’ve been playing along to this point, what were the error codes on the generator?

Here’s another problem…we were parked on Petaluma Boulevard (a main thoroughfare—old highway 101), and I couldn’t go out in the pouring rain with the traffic and open the door without being killed to read any error codes.

I’m guessing either the generator quit delivering power due to a high or low voltage condition, but without the error codes, I’m in the dark, (no pun intended).

The worst part, or perhaps the best part, is that this condition remedied itself the next day (with and without the microwave on), and the generator ran fine and brought all the batteries up to 100% SOC.

Thoughts? Thanks!
Old 12-14-2022, 07:39 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Yes, there are things designed to make us lay awake and wonder!
Without really getting more info and looking carefully at the time when it is failing,things go into guessing real quick!

I see a plug on the system and no transfer switch so that is a big help on cutting the chase but without actually knowing, we can't say if it was part of the generator or on into the RV.
One of the first really simple, almost goofy thoughts is the plug. A semi- loose plug fromt he genset to the cord might come and go and then if you have used the cord for shore power, etc. it could stay plugged forever and you might never know?

Other than going on a bug hunt at the time it is failing I'm afraid there is no realy good way to chase the problem other than one "could" go along the whole setup from the generator and any breaker on it all the way to the load center, checking for any dirty/ corroded items??
Things like a weak main breaker connection that failed when warmed slightly due to current flow and closed when cooled?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 08:48 PM   #3
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Interesting Richard thank you. I was wondering if anyone had exact the same thing or something similar happened to them. I think your awareness that the warming from current made a better path may have been spot on. I don’t know we’ll see if it happens again. Thanks for thinking about it I’m sure I’ll lay awake a few more days and do the same.
Old 12-14-2022, 09:52 PM   #4
Site Team

I remember reading on these forums where the outlet box from the generator had a loose connection. I would open the box and check there.
Remember, the more complex the failure, the more simple the cause of the problem.
Eagle5
Old 12-15-2022, 01:46 AM   #5
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5 View Post
I remember reading on these forums where the outlet box from the generator had a loose connection. I would open the box and check there.
Remember, the more complex the failure, the more simple the cause of the problem.
Eagle5
Good idea 👍 Thanks!
Old 12-15-2022, 07:50 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Also, one thing to keep in mind is that if it went open while current was flowing, there would be some sort of arcing expected?
That arcing might have been much bigger if the load had been bigger like running the air cond. so looking for any arcing may be a clue and really should be found and fixed.

Bigger loads may mean a bigger mess if they come back!
Shorts from power to ground should make something trip to cut power. Shorts to other hot, are not that common as they are different cables.
But things going open like a loose connection are pretty common and don't trip or blow breakers, etc.
Things that "fix" themselves are not easy!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 06:17 PM   #7
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Thanks everyone now that I’m back at home in my driveway I’m gonna test out a few things I’ll report back if I find anything appreciate all the input!

Tags
generator, onan