Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2020, 10:56 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Onan main breaker location

Hi All. We have a 2018 Fuse 23A with an Onan 2500 watt genset. We have no AC power with the genset running fine. All was working fine yesterday morning but after starting the genset and checking that the batteries were charging, I started thr Nespresso coffe maker. It ran for about 20 - 30 secs then all AC power went off and the genset rpm pitch audibly changed. All house breakers and fuses are fine but I think there must be a main output breaker on the genset itself that has popped. Unfortunately I can't locate it and the genset is impossible to get to as it is buried underneath the bowels of the rig. Not an ideal setup. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
jearyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 11:11 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

this might be a case of just asking too much of one small part of the RV, so lets take a look. The expresso machine is pretty much like a coffee pot that heats water and that often uses like 1200-1500 watts of power. So the genset is up to putting out about 2500, so it is less likely to have a problem than another point.
Do you know the setup well enough to know if that outlet is powered by something like an inverter which uses battery power to make AC power?
Without looking much closer, I am kind of guessing that there is a breaker, etc. on an inverter which needs to be reset, due to the inverter maybe limited to 1000 watt.
I think I've seen a couple postings about this problem on some of the newer, smaller RV.
One I remember required removing the panel under a cabinet to get to the inverter.
I'm pressed for time right now with company coming up the road but that is a quick thought.
Maybe check the manual for inverter info and see it that seems to fit?
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 11:33 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

The plug I was using was not inverter powered. But when i started the genset the house batteries were very low so the charger was probably drawing alot of power
I've checked the inverter and it is fine. Pretty sure its the genset breaker. Jist can't locate it.
Old 05-24-2020, 01:59 PM   #4
Site Team

I don't know the Onan used on the Fuse model, but in general the Onan breaker is on the genset.

Here's a screen shot of your Generator Owner's Manual. It shows the location of the circuit breaker:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-05-24 at 2.58.14 PM.png
Views:	68
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	173600  
Old 05-24-2020, 02:36 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Thank you for the diagram. That answers my question. Thanks again
Old 05-24-2020, 02:42 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

So we are thinking that there is enough mismatch in the genset size and the inverter to let the inverter trip the breaker? Sounds like a plan meant to drive folks crazy!
Guess we all have to keep the manual open at all times?
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, onan