Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2015, 09:19 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Onan Generator fail

Well...tried to start the generator up tonight since we are dry camping and my wife wanted to use the microwave to heat up dinner...
Pressed the start button, generator starts up but the light on the button flashes rapidly instead of going solid...I wait a minute but still flashes rapidly...and no AC. So I power down and do it again...same result.
I go outside and remove the cover. from the generator Breakers are ok and now I see a code flash on the start button....27 which when I look in the manual pretty much tells me I am screwed!!!
Code 27 Voltage Sense Loss
Controller unable to sense output voltage
See an authorized Onan dealer!!
The generator has about 12 hrs on it!!!
MutinyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 10:01 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

While this might sound dumb, why not check several items:
1. Winnebago's have a shutoff if your gas is down to 1/4 tank. Genny will not state.
2. Check battery connections
3. Check spark plug contacts

Just a few easy items to check.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:12 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Why not google error 27?
krivanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 05:46 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by krivanj View Post
Why not google error 27?
I did...bad voltage regulator or brushes or loose wire....hard to believe on a 6 month old MH but I have had a few issues...bad control board in the LP furnace to start off my trip as well
Old 02-02-2015, 05:59 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

MutinyGuy, Try starting the generator with the generator breakers open and see if you still get the flashing lights. If not then close the breakers and see what happens. On ours the sealtite slipped down where is comes out of the generator and shorted one of the power wire to ground. Onan tech replaced a bunch of parts without fixing it then I found the shorted wire.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 09:21 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Started up generator this AM same problem Code 27...flipped the two breakers off on generator and restarted. Ran ok no errors...flipped first breaker on...looking ok...flipped second breaker on...still running fine no codes...clunk I hear transfer switch engage...go inside...Power!!!
Ran microwave for breakfast, still ok. Powered off generator and waited a few minutes. Started generator from inside with breakers on and had power and no codes!
Old 02-02-2015, 09:24 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutinyGuy View Post
Started up generator this AM same problem Code 27...flipped the two breakers off on generator and restarted. Ran ok no errors...flipped first breaker on...looking ok...flipped second breaker on...still running fine no codes...clunk I hear transfer switch engage...go inside...Power!!!
Ran microwave for breakfast, still ok. Powered off generator and waited a few minutes. Started generator from inside with breakers on and had power and no codes!
GREAT!
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 02:13 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

I tried to post a page from the Onan repair manual earlier, but I kept getting a formatting error. It seems the problem is lack of voltage across pins S1 and S2 after the starter has been disconnected from the engine.

Possible causes are listed as: Genset Load, inverter charger, VAC sense transformer, engine governor malfunction, fuel supply, choke, demand regulator, carburetor, generator windings, ignition, wire connections, or temperature.

In your case it sounds like the transfer switch didn't move to the generator position quickly enough. I've been told 2015 is the first year Winnebago is using a transfer switch on the Adventurer that has voltage sensing capability. If the explanation for the system operation is correct it's supposed to make sure the voltage is within the proper parameters before switching over. If it sees high or low voltage it will not switch.

The timing between that and the built in delay before the generator starts to produce power may have caused the error.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:26 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I've had a little issue with my ATS as well. In Nov. my original ATS stopped working. I would start the generator, the lights on the power panel would (after 20 seconds) light up then go dark. No power. Took it to the dealer and they confirmed that I nneded a new ATS, so I ordered one and took it to them to install. It was the new and improved Parallax ATS503, and it was DOA. The delay relay was bad. Got a new one from Parallax, dealer installed it, and this past week when I need it to work while dry camping it exhibited the same behavior. Back to the dealer this morning and low and behold they confirmed it was the ATS again.

BTW I did try the process that MutinyGuy used and it did not work for me.

Tags
generator, onan