Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2013, 08:00 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Onan Emerald Plus 5000 Question

I have an Onan 5000 genset that's 13 years old with very few hours on it. I've had the unit for about 2 years. I had neglected the generator mostly because I did not need it at our campsites.
I have very recently changed oil, oil filter, air filter, and spark plugs. It will start but won't run very long before stopping. I've ruled out the fuel pump as the fuel is getting to the carburetor. I'm thinking the carburetor has varnished up due to a lack of use. I'm told that the carburetor cannot be cleaned and needs to be replaced. I'm pretty handy and think it could be cleaned. I'm quite certain I have a fuel issue here.

Am I wrong about that or could my problem be something else? My unit doesn't have the prime option.

Any suggestions?
Any help is always appreciated.
Buzzyb
buzzyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:01 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Your unit is very close in age to mine. I had the same problem as you describe and I had mine removed and cleaned. it doesn't miss a beat now. Key the tech told me is to run the genset once a month at near full load to get the second stage to kick in on the carb. Hope this helps you.
Ret Smokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:19 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I had the exact same problem and replaced the carb first but it wasn't fixed until I replaced the fuel pump which became intermittent after about 15 minutes of run time especially when it was over 90F outside.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:31 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the good info !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret Smokey View Post
Your unit is very close in age to mine. I had the same problem as you describe and I had mine removed and cleaned. it doesn't miss a beat now. Key the tech told me is to run the genset once a month at near full load to get the second stage to kick in on the carb. Hope this helps you.
I will attempt to clean the carb before replacing it. I've done such things before with good success.....we'll see. I'm told that brake fluid works well for cleaning such things. Do you know what your tech used to clean your carb? I will try carb cleaner first.
buzzyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:22 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Just did mine and let the whole assembly sit in parts cleaner for awhile. You will need some fine needles for the jet as well. After a good cleaning it worked well and would die once in awhile and got more frequent. Fuel pump was failing. now it runs like new. If you have any questions on that genny ask. I think I am onan certified now on this thing.
Old 10-01-2013, 03:34 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Check the voltage regulator before removing the carburetor If you haven't succeeded at getting it running yet.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:50 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I suspect the carb and the advice given is good. One thing you may want to try first is run a good carb cleaner through it. Get a 3' piece of fuel line and connect to fuel pump or where ever the original is connected. Get a gallon jug of gas and tripple treat it with cleaner. Stick your fuel line in it and fire it up.

I've done this on two of my gennys and a friends. 2 would not run very long and one ran very rough. The latter ran about 10 mins then smoothed right out. The other 2 took several start/run/quit cycles. After assured the new fuel was in the carb, I let it sit for an hour. Following that, they both kept running and smoothed out soon. I do this now as part of my annual maintainance.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
onan