Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2007, 12:47 PM   #1

DH is frantically scurrying around trying to get the coach ready for our upcoming first trip since the drive back from the dealer.

He tells me that the coolant is reading a hair low on the generator and asked me to look up what kind of coolant he should top it off with. I'm trying to do a search and looking on the internet to see if I can find it but if one of you can give us a quick answer, it would save some time.

Thanks!

~~amanda
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 12:47 PM   #2

DH is frantically scurrying around trying to get the coach ready for our upcoming first trip since the drive back from the dealer.

He tells me that the coolant is reading a hair low on the generator and asked me to look up what kind of coolant he should top it off with. I'm trying to do a search and looking on the internet to see if I can find it but if one of you can give us a quick answer, it would save some time.

Thanks!

~~amanda
Old 06-23-2007, 12:56 PM   #3

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by amanda_h:

Thanks!

~~amanda </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I tried to find you a quick answer from the Onan Generator Owner's Handbook. I see all sorts of items listed, but nothing as to the recommended coolant for maintenance...

Here is a link that might be helpful; I tried to look it up myself but you need to know the model number.

http://www.cumminsonan.com/rv/support/manuals
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 01:06 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

The Owners' Manual for my Onan 7.5K Quiet Diesel says the following under 'Changing Coolant':
"The engine cooling system is filled with a 50/50 mixture of ethylene glocol anti-freeze and water... Use ethylene or propylene glycol anti-freeze solution that contains a rust and corrosion inhibitor. The anti-freeze should not contain a stop-leak additive."

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 01:18 PM   #5

Thanks Richard and Chris!!

So it sounds like ordinary anti-freeze that you'd put in your car radiator? ...me not mechanically inclined at all and DH isn't too much more than me.

But that's what it sounds like to us. Is that the way you guys interpret it?

Thanks! ...and ((hugs)) for the quick responses!

~~amanda
Old 06-23-2007, 01:45 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Yes, that's the way I would interpret it.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 01:57 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I have a 7.5 Onan (diesel) and I use FleetGuard in it -- same as what is in the engine. That way I only have to carry one type of antifreeze if one gets low.
Old 06-23-2007, 09:15 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

If it's only a "hair" low and runs a 50/50 mix, I'd just add water and call it good.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 09:54 PM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SCVJeff:
If it's only a "hair" low and runs a 50/50 mix, I'd just add water and call it good. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup, that's what I told him after I read what Chris posted. So he just added a little bit of water until we can find a compatible antifreeze to put in later. Thanks, Jeff.

And thanks to everybody for taking the time to respond!

I'll probably be posting some more newbie questions as we embark on our trip tomorrow. Thanks to everybody for being here!

~~amanda
Old 06-24-2007, 02:54 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

David K's answer is the correct one. Get some Fleetguard coolant (brand name is Compleat)-I don't think I spelled it correctly - since this contains the protection products needed and also is usable in the engine. Had my genset start then stop shortly (30-45 seconds) and the fault code was low coolant. The service tech used some of my spare coolant for the engine (Cummings tech).

Robb & Sue Steinheider
03 Ultimate Advantage
02 Saturn L100 Toad
robbstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 03:14 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Regular antifreeze, green stuff.

You may consider carrying a gallon or two of the new yellow stuff that is advertised as universally useable with all types now in use. It is avalible premixed with de-ionized water, just pour it in.

Not a good idea to mix colors, not because of the color but some is ethylene glycol, some propylene glycol, turns to jello if you mix them.
gunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 07:14 AM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by robbstein:
David K's answer is the correct one. Get some Fleetguard coolant (brand name is Compleat)-I don't think I spelled it correctly - since this contains the protection products needed and also is usable in the engine. Had my genset start then stop shortly (30-45 seconds) and the fault code was low coolant. The service tech used some of my spare coolant for the engine (Cummings tech).

Robb & Sue Steinheider
03 Ultimate Advantage
02 Saturn L100 Toad </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, Robb! We'll look for Compleat. Does anybody know if the CAT engine uses that brand also?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gunny:
Regular antifreeze, green stuff.

You may consider carrying a gallon or two of the new yellow stuff that is advertised as universally useable with all types now in use. It is avalible premixed with de-ionized water, just pour it in.

Not a good idea to mix colors, not because of the color but some is ethylene glycol, some propylene glycol, turns to jello if you mix them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow, gunny, we certainly don't want it to turn to jello. I'm assuming what's in there now is ethylene glycol according what Chris posted. Does anybody know if Compleat is ethylene glycol? ...assume that it is.

Thanks to both of you for some great advice!

Everybody's been great!

Stay tuned for more of our newbie adventures!

~~amanda
Old 06-24-2007, 03:03 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Freightliner fills at the factory with Fleetguard antifreeze. Get a bottle of 50/50 premixed Fleetguard and carry it with you to top off both the CAT and your generator. Yes, it's ethylene glycol with SCA additives.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 05:11 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Yes, should be ethylene glycol, unlss someone has changed it. Don't need SCA (or DCA) in the Kubota, they do not have wet liners.
gunny is offline   Reply With Quote