Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-30-2011, 09:29 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Onan diesel 8000 generator

I have a 2007 Meridian with a 8000 diesel generator.It was running good last night for 3 hours with no problem starting.This morning getting just clicking sounds .My wife checked for codes(i am work now) it shows code 27 does anyone know what this code is Thanks fo the help
DaveyD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:35 AM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

2004 354 Mbs CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyD1 View Post
I have a 2007 Meridian with a 8000 diesel generator.It was running good last night for 3 hours with no problem starting.This morning getting just clicking sounds .My wife checked for codes(i am work now) it shows code 27 does anyone know what this code is Thanks fo the help
You might be below the minimum fuel amount with out proper pressure the starter wont even cranK.
If the fuel is full , Did you try using the boost ?
LonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:39 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Be sure the breaker on the generator itself is "on".

Don
Old 12-30-2011, 09:43 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Onan manual shows this.

PMA SENSE LOST FAULT—CODE NO. 27
(Controller unable to sense PMA frequency)
Corrective Action: See an authorized Onan dealer.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:08 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

http://www.cumminsonan.com/www/pdf/m.../981-0522B.pdf

Service Manual from another IRV2 link. Maybe it will be of some help.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:43 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

cc rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyD1 View Post
Whoo Boy, am I glad I've got an extended warranty!!! Ran the coach over to Cummins and had them check out the generator and see what's going on. Magnets have started separating on the rotor and it needs to be replaced. May be further damage if the rotor "kissed" the stator, whatever that means, but they won't know that until they get in there. Minimum $3500.00. Holy Smokes!!! They had no explanation for why it wouldn't run while the coach engine was running other than possibly a frequency issue. One thing you don't want is the ol' code 27 error I guess. Still, I wonder how I saw 120 on L1 and L2 on the monitor when the generator was running.
LonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 01:25 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the help ,the house batteries were to low stared the coach and charged the batteries and the Gen. starts the code 27 was for low battery as the generator did not start and run
DaveyD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 02:33 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonBoy View Post
Whoo Boy, am I glad I've got an extended warranty!!! Ran the coach over to Cummins and had them check out the generator and see what's going on. Magnets have started separating on the rotor and it needs to be replaced. May be further damage if the rotor "kissed" the stator, whatever that means, but they won't know that until they get in there. Minimum $3500.00. Holy Smokes!!! They had no explanation for why it wouldn't run while the coach engine was running other than possibly a frequency issue. One thing you don't want is the ol' code 27 error I guess. Still, I wonder how I saw 120 on L1 and L2 on the monitor when the generator was running.
Rotor shaft with permenant magnets is being spun by the Kubota diesel engine. The rotor is surrounded by coils of wire (stator) that the magnets induce voltage into. Debonding of the magnets from the rotor substrate could potentially result in a catostrophic launch of flying magnet debri and total destruction of the generator. "Kissing" means did the seperation of the magnets from the rotating substrate allow them to scrape the stator field coil assembly. Error code 27 means the controller was not able to sense the rotational speed (frequency) of the allternator.

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, generator, onan