Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2011, 01:39 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

onan 7500 generator

I want to take the cover of my generator and check the fan belt and rad hoses. Also heard in another post that it is good to clean out any debris that may be in there. Has anyone changed belts and hoses on gen before? Also the only way to remove cover is to pull about 15 bolts off all around the top?? I noticied there is a small access cover on the top. Not sure what thats for. Any info would be helpful..Thanks
WIDGET33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 02:06 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I've only done, fuel , air, and oil&filter on my 7500. At 400 hrs I hope thats all it needs. I'll tag along on your post to collect info for next springs project; belts hoses and A/F flush.. For really good info ,the year of your coach, and build date of the gen set, would help .
Old 10-04-2011, 02:36 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Cover on my 7500 on top is for lifting ring. Not sure how you get it all off, may be big job. Good Luck
Rebel
rebelone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:23 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

If you have a 7.5DKD RV Onan with a 3 cylinder Kubota engine here are the manuals you need (from Google searches):

Operators: 981-0124 (http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/downloads/ONAN%20MANUALS/Onan%20DKD%20Operator's%20Manual.pdf)

Parts: 981-0240B
Here is a parts manual for a standalone DKD (981-0223) but may be useful: http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...s%20Manual.pdf

Engine: 981-0501 (http://truckroadservice.com/barth_at...ine_Manual.pdf)
For this generator, all engine information is in the engine manual.

Gen Service: 981-0502 (http://truckroadservice.com/barth_at...ice_Manual.pdf)
Only contains generator section information.

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:41 PM   #5

Someone said the 7500 didn't have belts. Maybe I'm wrong. I know my 12.5 does(did)
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:52 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

You need to remove the top and rear covers (lots of screws) to get access to the belt to change it.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:52 PM   #7
KIX
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIDGET33 View Post
I want to take the cover of my generator and check the fan belt and rad hoses. Also heard in another post that it is good to clean out any debris that may be in there. Has anyone changed belts and hoses on gen before? Also the only way to remove cover is to pull about 15 bolts off all around the top?? I noticied there is a small access cover on the top. Not sure what thats for. Any info would be helpful..Thanks
If you remove the covers to see the belt and hoses.........REPLACE THEM. It's not an easy job working in limited space. After removing top cover you'll need to disco fuel lines to remove right side cover (right side is usually towards the rear of coach). to remove right side cover you need to remove all bolts from front and back (sides in moho install) to be able to remove right side cover. With the rear cover off all you want to REPLACE is easily accessible. My genset is in a slide tray and has more room. If yours is not in a slide tray you would be better off removing genset to service belts/hoses. Top square small cover has lifting ring under it.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:31 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thanks. Mine is on a slide out. Once you disconnect fuel lines do you need to bleed the air out or just reconnect?? I assumed the belt and hoses were on the front facing forward but it sounds like its mounted sideways under the cover. Thanks
WIDGET33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 06:01 PM   #9
KIX
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIDGET33 View Post
Thanks. Mine is on a slide out. Once you disconnect fuel lines do you need to bleed the air out or just reconnect?? I assumed the belt and hoses were on the front facing forward but it sounds like its mounted sideways under the cover. Thanks
Reconnect the fuel lines then to start hold the switch to the OFF position which should prime the system. You may have to hold the switch in the OFF position for a minute. If it doesn't start or stops theh you didn't hold the switch long enough.

Te genset panel that has the electric breaker faces the front of the genset. That panel is facing the drivers side of your coach. The right end of the genset is toward the rear of your coach. The belt is accessible by removing the right hand panel which is toward the rear of your coach.

The belt is pretty loose fitting. To R & R the belt you unbolt and reinstall the water pump pulley. Do not try to force the belt over the pulley. There is no belt tension adjustment. Hope all this helps you get it done.

Tags
generator, onan