Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2012, 12:49 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Onan 5500 won't start & run

When I try to start it it will quit the starting cycle and the code that flashes is one not listed in my manual. I get 3 flashes followed by another 3. Looking for suggestions.
captgadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:27 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

The code is 32 not 33 telling me it is a battery problem. I just a 1/2 G distilled water to one battery so I might have one bad battery now. But I put the charger on it and we'll see later.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:01 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

check fuel pump. you should hear it run when you push start button to prime. Or a
more difficult way is to use a alternate fuel supply other than your MTH ie: hold a small
container of fuel outside and by-pass the pump. If genset runs it is NOT your fuel pump. My MTH is going in the shop tomorrow for a new pump.
steve258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:57 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Need a good battery to start. If not...well you see the result.
Then one should REGULARLY check the "water" level in the batteries. They can off gas the fluid and expose the core...when this happens it does not take very long before your battery is really no good any more. Then adding "water" back into a "dead" battery is just a waste of effort.
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:12 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I disconnected all my batteries, & my outside power supply. Then I tried to start the genset with my car battery. The same thing happens. It tries to start but shuts down after about 15 seconds and the I get the error code 32 even with my car battery.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:53 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Code 32 can be one of several things not documented in the manual. The solution to my code 32 when it would start and run for a few seconds and shut down was replacement of the board. I was able to put the board in myself and the generator ran fine after that.
Towing 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
corvettec3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:25 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I have not picked up my motor home yet, but the repair shop called and said they had to replace the control board, brushes and slip rings. Now, I understand the control board and brushes but what are the slip rings? The unit has like about 175 hours on it.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:40 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Both brushes and slip rings should last just about forever unless there was some sort of mechanical damage
Old 11-21-2012, 06:43 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

As always I buy more than I need, but I guess it's running. What are slip rings?
Old 11-22-2012, 02:44 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by captgadget View Post
I have not picked up my motor home yet, but the repair shop called and said they had to replace the control board, brushes and slip rings. Now, I understand the control board and brushes but what are the slip rings? The unit has like about 175 hours on it.
the brushes ride on slip rings. this tool is made to clean the slip rings.
i bought one but haven't had to use it yet.

http://www.flightsystems.com/pdf/SlickStickSP.pdf
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:50 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Here is my recent onan experience. My gen would surge and shut off. I changed the spark plug and it ran a lot better, but eventually would surge and shut off after several minutes. I priced a new carburetor an decided it would probably be less than the $150.00 service ticket for diagnosis. As it turned out, the new carb was $165.00. I bought one, changed it and now it now runs like a charm.

I found that they will not do any repairs on the carburetor. "It's a sealed unit" according to the service writer. Many problems are caused by the carb getting gummed up with fuel from sitting.

Hint: If you change the carburetor, take a snapshot of it prior to the removal. The choke line will go on either the back or the front of the butterfly and surging will occur when it's put back on the wrong side.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:46 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Good Source of Advice

I had similar problem on much earlier Onan Emerald (1993 Odessa).

Turned out to be the control module. I downloaded the Problem solving pages from Flight Systems Inc:. and ran the tests myself. using a Digital Mulitmeter.

Being based in the UK. I had to get the replacement shipped over. so It cost me twice what the US price was!!.

Flight systems themselves where very helpful by e-mail.

Pete
PeteH1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:53 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Well guys, $576.00 later mine is running again. They replaced what they call a PCB Assy Control $362.76, Load test 25.00, Brushes & slip rings so including labor and sales tax it was $576. Could do her my self so I guess that's the price I pay.

Thanks for all the help.

Tags
onan