Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2018, 04:23 PM   #21
George&Jan

All good points - being a newbie maybe this stuff seems much more difficult than it is in reality. BTW my “several seconds” to restart was a bad guess so something needed to cool down.
I did check Amazon for pumps & found prices from $22 to $95 (Cummins) I did notice the connectors are a bit different having either 2 spade connectors or 1 spade and 1 ring - parts manual doesn’t help cuz it shows both for the same part number - won’t know what I need till I remove the current pump...
Old 09-12-2018, 05:15 AM   #22
Itasca Owners

I got an aftermarket pump as it seems like a lot of the ones from Cummins/Onan are failing. The filter was an Onan.

The ring connector is probably what you want as it attaches to the ground bolt where several wires connect including the ground from the solenoid. The bolt passes through the case and the large ground wire from the chassis attaches to the outside. that said, what you see in the picture is not always what you get and crimp connectors are easy to replace.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:02 AM   #23
George&Jan

Thanks! That helps. Interesting point about OEM fuel pump - after all, mine seems to have failed after less than 97 hours. Ordering parts on line today.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:30 AM   #24
Itasca Owners

Its only 97 hours, but it has been 10 years with ethanol acting on the rubber parts.

I have a 1982 Evinrude outboard. When I bought the boat 5 years ago, the engine barely ran. I replaced all the hoses in the fuel system, the fuel pump and the carburetor. It has run like a top since then. I am able to buy non-ethanol gas for it and run SeaFoam through it every so often. Just got back from 2.5 months in the motor home and it started right up on the first crank. Same luck with all the other small engines I have.
Old 09-13-2018, 06:27 AM   #25
George&Jan

I can get marine (leaded) fuel for my boat and am seeing more “Rec” fuel pumps out there. I get the rationale for drawing fuel from the vehicle tank for the genset but a separate tank with the right type of fuel might have been a better option instead. A friend has an LP fired generator in hi RV - probably a better alternative on several levels.
Old 10-21-2018, 07:06 PM   #26
Winnebago Camper

Onan Genset starts, then quits

Greetings.
We have a 2015 Winnebago Era 70X with the following:

Cummins Onan Generator, RV QG 2500 LP
Model 2.5 HGJBB-1126

Despite starting it up regularly to exercise Genset every month, the last time we did, it ran about 5 minutes, then quit. Starts right up, but wont stay running. Propane is full, as is the gens oil and the RVs diesel fuel tank.

Stopped at Cummins Onan dealer, and they had few answers, other than it might be the LP regulator.

Any thoughts, my Winnie experts? Thanks.

Jen
Troy, Mich.
JJohn0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 05:59 AM   #27
Itasca Owners

As the fuel pumps age, the rubber parts will swell when the pump gets hot and the pump will stop working. When it cools down, it will work again. Its the 10 years of age and not the 97 hours that probably causes your issue.
If the problem is the fuel pump, you can tell pretty quickly by disconnecting the hose from the carburetor immediately after it shuts itself down. Hit the primer switch and it will either pump fuel or not. If not, replace the fuel pump.
If the generator has not seen much use, you could also have a clogged carburetor and corrosion or dirt in the switch on the bottom of the bowl. But usually the generator will run very rough, or not at all, if that is the case.
In some cases, too much oil in the generator can cause an overheat situation. If the oil level is at or over the full mark, remove a little of the oil. It is better to keep the oil level slightly below the full mark.
Old 11-06-2018, 01:56 PM   #28
George&Jan

Smile Problem Solved!

It was indeed the fuel pump. New aftermarket pump & filter installed and little Oman purrs... the installation on my Itasca Cambria is rather tight with a small door and little/no room for me to replace both without fear of breaking something - I gave it a shot - so I hired a mechanic to do the work. Really appreciate the forums help with this. Nice to have a working generator when you feel like a cup of coffee while wife is driving.. start genset plug in coffee maker brew a cup and enjoy the ride - like were doing right now heading south on US 67 to Hot Springs AR 😋☕️
Old 11-06-2018, 02:07 PM   #29
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJohn0711 View Post
Greetings.
We have a 2015 Winnebago Era 70X with the following:

Cummins Onan Generator, RV QG 2500 LP
Model 2.5 HGJBB-1126

Despite starting it up regularly to exercise Genset every month, the last time we did, it ran about 5 minutes, then quit. Starts right up, but wont stay running. Propane is full, as is the gens oil and the RVs diesel fuel tank.

Stopped at Cummins Onan dealer, and they had few answers, other than it might be the LP regulator.

Any thoughts, my Winnie experts? Thanks.

Jen
Troy, Mich.
Update: It was the LP regulator/fuel pump!
JJohn0711 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, onan