Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2019, 06:09 PM   #1
DAB
Winnebago Camper

Onan 4000 microquiet starting

The generator in my 2018 minnie winnie 26a has always been reluctant to start. It would take at least 60 seconds of cranking to get it going. The manual says to hold the start button until it starts. I recently discovered that if you hold the rocker in the stop position about 3 seconds, you can hear the gen fuel pump running! Now to start it, I hold stop about 10 seconds, then start and it fires right up. The thing is, neither the winnebago supplied directions, nor the Onan manual mention this. If you having trouble starting your generator, try priming it like this.
DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 07:06 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Another thing is when stopping, just touch the stop and release it. Don't hold the stop button down while it's spinning down to a complete stop.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 10:29 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

One other thing to check for hard starting is the choke adjustment. Ours in our preowned Sunstar was hard starting. It turned out to be a stuck choke linkage. After a lot of searching, I figured out how to properly adjust it.
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 07:12 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

A couple things that I’ve come across:

There’s an altitude adjustment knob. We’re at 5k feet and it made a difference. I’m not sure where you are.

This is a post about changing the choke setup. I haven’t tried it but it may help:
Onan Generator Choke Adjustment – 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 07:19 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Before you try adjusting the choke, remove the access cover and see if it moves freely, or is stuck. If it is, and you break it loose, the gennie should start easily.
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 04:27 PM   #6
2015 Itasca Spirit 27QP

I put a bottle of Star Tron (available at Lowes and other stores) in the gas tank seasonally (beginning and end) and run the generator to make sure the additive (a gunk-eating enzyme) gets circulated to the fuel system on the generator. Stored ethanol gasoline is unstable and leaves deposits in the carburetor jets and float bowl. It also helps keep your injectors clean on the engine. Of course, everything else must be in proper adjustment, but you know that, right?
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 05:07 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

sounds like the choke is not working
Old 07-14-2019, 05:27 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAB View Post
The generator in my 2018 minnie winnie 26a has always been reluctant to start. It would take at least 60 seconds of cranking to get it going. The manual says to hold the start button until it starts. I recently discovered that if you hold the rocker in the stop position about 3 seconds, you can hear the gen fuel pump running! Now to start it, I hold stop about 10 seconds, then start and it fires right up. The thing is, neither the winnebago supplied directions, nor the Onan manual mention this. If you having trouble starting your generator, try priming it like this.
Thanks for this message. Yes, it is absolutely NOT in the documentation. Makes a huge difference for starting the generator.
Old 07-14-2019, 06:09 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

I would do a quick search online and get a copy of the owners manual.

Here is one link below:

https://www.norwall.com/product_pdfs...__opm_2015.pdf
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 06:06 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOweather View Post
One other thing to check for hard starting is the choke adjustment. Ours in our preowned Sunstar was hard starting. It turned out to be a stuck choke linkage. After a lot of searching, I figured out how to properly adjust it.

How does one properly adjust the choke?
f53Challenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 07:53 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAB View Post
small point that sounds very likely to be a solution that I have noted. after long term setting, my gen is slow to start the first go and I assume it is the same as mentioned and you are correct on manuals only telling part of the story and leaving some really important stuff for us to figure out. Thanks.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 04:41 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by f53Challenge View Post
How does one properly adjust the choke?
Adjust Choke:

Begin with the gen cold (not having been run for at least 12 hrs)

Pull off the air filter...Spray choke (carb) cleaner on linkage....free up movement of all parts.

Butterfly needs to be closed... if not closed....adjust the butterfly to make it closed....

Once closed....find the choke idle adjustment screw...make sure it works (will raise idle when gen is cold)

Crank gen...(adjust choke idle NOW)

Gen should warm up & idle should drop down when warm

DO NOT try to adjust choke settings or idle when the gen is warm WAIT until the next day (when gen is cold) to readjust your gen

You can set the run idle(and carb adjustments)..not choke idle when the gen is warm

That's how I do any carb....works for me

Tags
onan