Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2018, 10:01 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

On Shore Power when stored?

I'm getting conflicting information regarding to leave my coach plugged into shore power or not when I have it stored. My manual states: NOTE: Do not leave the shoreline plugged in during storage. Follow regular battery inspection and maintenance. What does everyone recommend?
starcrwzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:14 AM   #2
Just Trying to Help

Scott-

It depends on where your coach is stored and for how long.

If your coach is stored at home, as mine is, you can keep it plugged in all the time, because you can keep an eye on things.

If your coach is stored remotely, and you don't plan to use it for a couple of weeks or more, remove/disconnect the negative leads on both the chassis and house batteries. A healthy battery, fully-charged, will retain its charge over a long period.

If your coach is stored remotely, and you plan to use it again in fewer than two weeks, just ensure the battery disconnect switches are off and leave it unpowered.

The "two weeks" thing is just a guideline. It depends on how quickly the batteries discharge under the loads that remain connected when the battery disconnect switches are off.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 04:22 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thanks! It's stored on my property with a full cover when not in use. We're using it once a month right now, but will be longer trips when we both retire.
starcrwzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 05:13 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I store mine at my MH garage plugged in. But, from time to time I unplug it and clean all the cable surfaces and then test and replug to shorepower. Often I will unplug the unit for a week or so for a change. Then back it out into the sun for my solar panels to charge the batteries. My answer is use variation all the time and then you know it works under various conditions.
there are a lot of details related to the type of battery construction and the gasses that flow under constant charge.
moonie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, shore power