Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2020, 02:04 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

On/Off Solar Power

We have a new 2108ds with factory installed Go power Solar Panel. When storing unit is there a need or way to turn off solar panel?
Chiefdeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 02:21 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefdeck View Post
We have a new 2108ds with factory installed Go power Solar Panel. When storing unit is there a need or way to turn off solar panel?
Unless you have lithium batteries, there should be no problem leaving the solar panels connected while in storage. Lithiums prefer to be stored partially charged and not left hooked up to solar panels..

Don't know if there is a switch to turn off easily. Doubt it though.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 02:45 PM   #3
Site Team

Generally, WBGO wires the solar charge controller directly to the house battery bank. There is no on/off switch, nor is one needed.

The charge controller is smart enough to stop any meaningful charging when the batteries are at full charge - and most if not all modern day solar charge controllers have a Lithium setting that eliminates any worry of charging that type of battery, too.
Old 08-30-2020, 05:54 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks everybody for the help. first time owner and have found manuals supplied with trailer leave a lot to be desired. I now read manuals not like when I was younger. this forum helps out quite a bit.
Chiefdeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 08:05 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

And, you'll be happy to have fully-charged batteries when you go to get it out of storage.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 05:36 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I've been looking for this answer for I've seen some really sharp guys add a solar disconnect thinking that I might need to do this before storing, but the new lithium batteries are very smart and won't overcharge. Most had older rigs so I'm assuming they might not have the updated zamp where u set it for lithium. I've only stored my rig twice this year and always disconnect the chassis battery and when reconnecting it stayed fully charged. What's your opinion on the Amp-l-start do you think it's a nessisary precaution or not needed. For those that have installed it have added an off and off switch to keep it from charging while driving which I thought was a good idea.

Winnebago Dan 20J
DKDaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 09:19 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I've had an Amp-L-Start for several years and have never felt the need to disconnect it while driving and haven't experienced any problems. Both your alternator charging system and the Amp-L-Start have circuitry to prevent overcharging so an on/off switch isn't necessary.

My MH is in outdoor storage and my small. eighteen-year-old, Winnebago solar panel (15A?) keeps my house and starting battery charged year-round. Is the Amp-L-Start a necessity, probably not, especially if you disconnect your starting battery to prevent discharging due to parasitic loads. Is it nice to have, yes.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 10:38 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

We just purchased a 2020 Vista, and it came with 2 solar panels. It is stored "inside" really a big tent. When inside it still is getting a charge, which is nice. House batteries are always full when starting a trip. I haven't messed with the control panel yet, haven't seen a reason to.

San Francisco Bay Area
sundog964 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, solar