Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-29-2012, 07:58 PM   #21
YC1
Winnebago Owner

OK, if making a voltage measurement at or close to the motor is difficult try this. I totally understand the motor is not grounded. It simply uses voltage reversal to change direction. Find the negative input to the control box and fasten the voltmeter there. Before you do that take your meter positive lead to a bench grinder and make a needle point for easier penetration of wires. Now back to the test. Use the sharp probe and find one of the wires that goes positive when extending or retracting the awning. Now find the other wire that goes positive when doing the opposite action. One of these wires is the ground 1/2 of the time and hot 1/2 of the time. And vice versa.

Now see if you are getting the same voltage out when you activate one of the switches as you measured on the input to the box. Also measure the input to the box while you have the awning activated. If the input voltage is dropping the rest of it is not important. So the first thing to clear up the mud. Measure the input voltage while under load. If it stays solid then measure each of those leads on the output. If you have the full voltage on the input and output the relay is working fine. Reverse the switch action and make sure the voltage there is the same. If so then the issue is probably a poor connection/splice and you will need to tug and pull until you can find it. In worst case you can run a new pair. If the factory used those crappy blue scotch locs to make splices that would do it. More pictures would be helpful and if you would like to call me directly please feel free to pm me. I do this all the time. I own an electroncis repair service and troubleshoot over the phone and find it a challenge.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:39 AM   #22
Winnie-Wise

Rather than start a new thread I'll continue this one with a question. My wife was in the RV this morning and the passenger side awning extended by itself. It would not retract. The door awning would not work either. I looked for a fuse - didn't find one so came in a search this site for awning and found this thread. I apparently have the same awning as FIRE UP. I selected close on the control box in the basement and the awning came in. Tried the switch by the entry door and the awning went out as it should but would not retract. So basement compartment again and it retracted. The awning will now go out but not back in unless I use the basement switch. The door awning seems to be working now. Also, the awning when coming in will move a foot or so then stop and not respond to the rocker switch but if I select door awning the rocker switch will open and close the door awning. I won't be able to work on this for a couple of day but first thing I thought I'd so is pull the cover off the control in the basement to see if there are contacts I can clean. The RV is stored inside so moisture should not be the problem. Any thoughts or suggestions?
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:37 PM   #23
Winnebago Master

Don't know why it would go out on it own unless the switch was stuck. Was the coach battery switch off and this happen went she turned it on? Low voltage can cause the retract problems. Just a thought.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:33 PM   #24
Winnie-Wise

Grant, thanks for the comment and this is a follow up to my post #22 above: I think what happened is my wife was putting Christmas packages in the basement and I think one of the packages was placed against the slide out switch in the basement compartment. Then she went inside and turned on the power switch and the slide went out. The slide would not come in because the basement switch was in the out position. All seems OK at this point in time.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:18 PM   #25
Winnebago Camper

Awning Tube

On my 2004 Vectra I had exactly the same problem. It was a bent awning tube.
After I replace the rollup tube everything worked fine. Check you awning tube if it wobbles going in or out it's bent.
billbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical