Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2015, 03:10 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Not all outlets work on shore power!

Newbie needs Help! I have a 2014 itasca Sunstar 30t. Not all the outlets work when hooked up to shore power. I have checked the fuses under the fridge, hit the reset button on the GFI, but no luck. All outlets work if I turn the inverter on,but I could swear that when I camped last time and was hooked up to shore power I did not have the inverter on. Can anyone offer any suggestions? The only working outlets are in the kitchen and the air bed under the sofa. All lights are working. Thanks!
jerztime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 03:38 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We have a Winnebago Sightseer 30A. We have had the same problem, that's when we discovered that we have 3 different GFI outlets. One in the kitchen, one in the bathroom and one in the one of the storage bays. Once we reset all three, we were good. You may have more than one as well.
MrsChilerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 03:52 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Some inverters have multiple controls.. On mine if I turn the inverter off with "The big red switch" (I do not know if it's red but it is bigger than the rest and it is mounted physically ON the inverter itself) NO power passes through it in any direction.. As though it was gone.

There is a remote panel that can enable/disable the Inverter or Charger modules (Smaller switches) This will not affect power pass through.

Two possible answers:
1: Wrong turn off switch
2: Inverter transfer switch not working (This is normally part of the inverter but in some cases may be separate).
Old 05-16-2015, 04:06 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

If the outlets that are dead on shore power are the one's live on inverter power without shore power I suspect they are the one's the inverter should pass through. When you turn off the inverter that probably stops the pass through.

FWIW If the inverter is also the converter charger for your batteries you may also not be charging your batteries.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 04:10 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the quick responses. This coach only has once GfI, under the frig area, which I have reset to no avail. I'm leaving the inverter off since I just want to run off shore power but only two outlets work. I just disconnected from shore power and am running the generator - and still only two outlets work.
Old 05-16-2015, 04:28 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerztime View Post
Thanks for the quick responses. This coach only has once GfI, under the frig area, which I have reset to no avail. I'm leaving the inverter off since I just want to run off shore power but only two outlets work. I just disconnected from shore power and am running the generator - and still only two outlets work.
have you done a thorough search? our friends thought they only had one GFI until they looked and found one in a storage bay.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 04:33 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Are you positive you have no GFCI outlet in the bathroom? And do you have a patio (outside) outlet? That will be GFCI as well, along with any that are in a storage bay.

I can't imagine why you'd need a GFCI outlet under the fridge but not in the bathroom...

Have you reset the breaker on the inverter?
HoneyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 05:29 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Look at the last page of this diagram. It might help. http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...ire_182810.pdf

Check the Winne website resources for your SN. There are 2 choices. I took the first.

Rick Y
Old 05-16-2015, 06:06 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Nothermark was right - the battery did not charge the entire time I was hooked up to shore power. Am having the electrician come back tomorrow to check his installation work ( he put in the 30 amp outlet here at home yesterday!). so I was connected to shore power but it was not getting to the coach ..... Thus draining my house battery.
Old 05-16-2015, 06:10 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Forgot to add ..... Looked in every bay and at every outlet - only found one GFI , which seems to match the diagram. Thanks for that idea though! We're bound to figure this out!
Old 05-16-2015, 06:57 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

jerztime - with the generator off and the inverter off, if you have AC power at any outlets, the 30A shore supply is good and the 30A breaker in the RV breaker box is not tripped. Another good test to prove your shore power is good would be to try running the air conditioner.

I strongly suspect that the breaker that feeds the inverter is tripped. A breaker can be tripped and not show it. Just in case it's mislabeled, cycle each of the 15 and 20 amp breakers fully OFF and back ON.

If it's not the breaker, it may not be anything simple. Hope it is...
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 08:37 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

- if the surge protector is keeping power from the coach because the outlet is improperly wired ( The surge protector showed is 'open neutral') and the inverter is off, would that fry my vacuum cleaner( as it did?)?
Old 05-16-2015, 08:41 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I will also definitely check the breakers first thing tomorrow morning! Thank you all and have a good night!
Old 05-16-2015, 10:30 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

jerztime, make sure there is not any 240VAC in your 30amp outlet. Ground, neutral and 110VAC Hot only.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 04:03 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

If the surge protector is showing an open neutral, unplug the shore power line and wait till the electrician corrects that before trying anything else (breakers, air conditioner, etc.).

As Grant says above, make sure the electrician only gives you ground, neutral, and 120VAC. Because the 30A RV outlet resembles a residential dryer outlet (240VAC), I have read that residential electricians will sometimes wire them that way.

If that's what happened, your surge protector may have just paid for itself many times over.

I don't understand how you could have power at any outlets though if the protector is not allowing shore power into the RV.?.?
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 05:24 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Do all the receptacles get power with the inverter on?

What manufacturer/model is your inverter?
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 05:36 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

I wonder if some power was drawn off the house battery to run a couple of outlets. The HB did not charge and ran down during this time. The surge protector is a Progressive industries - and I agree it may have saved the day! The electrician is due here later his morning and I will make sure I share the info above so he gets it right this time - then the test will bring everything works. Stay tuned!
Old 05-17-2015, 07:51 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

While waiting for the electrician to get here I checked the entire coach (inside and out) again and only found GFIs in the cabinet under the frig and outside on the inverter. The one under the frig has its light on. I turned the generator on (while disconnected from shore power) and only the outlets in the middle (I.e. Bathroom and kitchen) of the coach work. !??
Old 05-17-2015, 09:16 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Now the electrician fixed the 30amp outlet so it only feeds 120v. And the proper lights are on when I plug the surge protector on - but still not all outlets work! Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.
Old 05-17-2015, 09:19 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

On my 2012 30T, my inverter controls 8 coach outlets that are protected by the GFCI on the face of the inverter its self. Mine is tucked away in a bay and is hard to see, but it has a green led when it is set. Just a thought, see if yours is like this?????
ghutch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, shore power