Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2022, 11:18 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Northstar NSB-AGM31 Battery - Deep Cycle Use?

I have an opportunity to buy a couple of gently used Northstar NSB-AGM31 batteries for less than half price. From the specs they appear to be dual purpose batteries and I was wondering if they would be good house batteries if they check out OK. Normally I'd stay away from dual purpose batteries but I was wondering about these. At 75 lbs they're heftier than some of the other options. I'd be replacing an aging pair of FLA Costco golf cart batteries.

Here are the specs: https://www.northstarbattery.com/product/nsb-agm31

(Also posted on IRV2.com)
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 03:47 PM   #2
Site Team

Those 103Ah AGMs look pretty good. I see they are dual purpose, but their price and weight certainly indicate that they are heavy duty batteries.

My Winnebago came with 4-100Ah NAPA Commercial batteries that were similarly priced and similarly weighty. They lasted 5 years before I replaced them for LiPOs but they were still holding a full charge and really didn't need replaced. In fact, I sold them on Craigslist for $150 to a guy that is now using them in his RV as house batteries.

The NAPAs were considered "dual purpose" but I considered them deep cycles.
Old 10-26-2022, 09:08 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Thanks, that's what I was thinking. I'm still waiting for the seller to answer my email.
Old 10-28-2022, 04:32 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I'm not hearing back from the seller and I just purchased two Renogy 100Ah AGM battery, on sale for $199.97, down from $269.99. This is a little more than the used Northstars but there's no risk. Plus my credit card gives me an additional 24 mo warranty.
Old 10-29-2022, 03:52 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
I'm not hearing back from the seller and I just purchased two Renogy 100Ah AGM battery, on sale for $199.97, down from $269.99. This is a little more than the used Northstars but there's no risk. Plus my credit card gives me an additional 24 mo warranty.
Just curious if these are the batteries that you bought.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075RFXHYK...lig_dp_it&th=1

I am looking at these and do not trust the reviews that Amazon has on almost anything. If these are the ones it would be good to hear how they are working for you.

I am looking to upgrade to these come the spring.
spierce617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 04:25 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by spierce617 View Post
Just curious if these are the batteries that you bought.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075RFXHYK...lig_dp_it&th=1

I am looking at these and do not trust the reviews that Amazon has on almost anything. If these are the ones it would be good to hear how they are working for you.

I am looking to upgrade to these come the spring.
They are. The way things are going, I doubt I'll be able to put them to much of a test by spring. I know what you mean by reviews but, if something has almost 1,900 reviews and you read a good sampling, I think you can tell if they're real. It's the ones that have 75 reviews with comments like "good product", "works great" that I wonder about.
Old 10-29-2022, 04:41 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

IMO Renogy is a trusted brand within the solar power community. I plan to buy 3 of those when I replace my present LA house batteries this winter.
I would not buy those starting batteries from Northstar for deep-cycle use. They advertise "thin plates" for faster starting power.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 07:01 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

My two Renogy batteries arrived today in perfect condition and fully charged at 12.81/12.82 volts. They were excellently packed, double boxed with foam padding all the way around, inside both boxes.

That takes care of some of the negative reviews.
Old 11-02-2022, 04:28 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

For future reference, "dual purpose" batteries usually do nothing well (starting or deep-cycle). It's usually achieved by alternating thick plates (deep-cycle) with thin sintered plates (high surface area = starting). AGMs are better at this than flooded (except the spiral-wrapped), but you are much better off buying the battery you actually need.
MadMaxWinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 07:07 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I bought 3 of those Renogy batteries the 7th of Sept this year from Amazon and love them. Mine came with no writing on the batteries and sets of Renogy labels to put on myself!
dick
Old 11-02-2022, 09:14 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickb46 View Post
I bought 3 of those Renogy batteries the 7th of Sept this year from Amazon and love them. Mine came with no writing on the batteries and sets of Renogy labels to put on myself!
dick
That's strange. Mine are fully labeled, although they did come with what looks like a window sticker that says something like "Powered by Renogy" but in a style more suited to a window sticker than for the battery.

Tags
battery