Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-23-2018, 09:05 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Norcold RV refrigerator will not run on generator

I do not use propane but I tried to run the refrigerator Norcold RV ) on the generator and it would not work. I works fine plugged into anything from a 15 amp circuit up to a 50 amp. The generator works great on everything else but the refrigerator. The transfer switch seems to working at least it switches from a/c power to generator power. I unplug the a/c power before running the gen set. The 2000 watt invertor is off at the remote . Wonder what could cause this refrigerator to not work on the gen set ?

2002 Winnebago Chieftain 39 T
tailpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 08:29 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

It sounds like it's related to the inverter. Not knowing your coach, but does the refrigerator run using the inverter and nothing else?
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:12 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Here's a link to the wiring diagrams so you can trace the circuitry:

Table of Contents
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:20 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Before jumping, let me make sure we are speaking the same? Sorry!
But are we sure everything else that uses 110AC does work off the gen set, just not the frig? Vital point there as it appears from the drawing that both genset and shore power go to a point and from there they use common wiring to all the AC stuff.
Looking at this drawing:
http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...ire_138632.pdf
Top left of sheet one?
I'm still getting used to the Winn. drawing style but it appears to me to show the gen and shore both go to that point and all AC items are fed off one single lead, so I might look at the connections there and be sure that the genset is actually making it in and out of those. But that thinking would be shot if something like the microwave is working on the genset.
Some hand-on checking needed.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:28 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

A second thought might involve the "load shedder" which might be shedding the frig if the genset is not providing enough power for all you have running at one time.
Located a C-3 on the drawing if you get to that point?
Old 12-08-2018, 04:56 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks everyone, re setting the generator circuit breaker fixed the problem

graduate of 1968 S.E. Asia school of jungle warfare
tailpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 01:01 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailpipe View Post
Thanks everyone, re setting the generator circuit breaker fixed the problem
Resetting a breaker is often a good deal! Once we find where that breaker is located?
I'm a electronics repair guy by training and one thing that I've found helps me on RV is to have a basic idea of what all is and what isn't working so that I can sort it down to avoid looking at the things that are okay. I start with the AC stuff as the shore power is often the most reliable and then if the stuff that runs on it like the microwave are okay, I move on into the DC portion. I go to the AC first as I know some of the DC is fed through the converter, so if the AC is not there, I have no reason to look at the DC, yet.
But, no matter how often I've chased trouble in my RV electrical, there's always a new surprise waiting for me.
Best of luck to you and enjoy as it certain to be more fun than working out troubles!
Old 12-08-2018, 01:32 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

"Occam's Razor" tells us that the solution is likely to be the correct one.

(Attributed to English Franciscan friar William of Ockham (c. 1287–1347), a scholastic philosopher and theologian)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam%27s_razor

We should all keep this in mind.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 03:54 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

For any body interested and wanting to know a bit more about the frig, there is some really good info on the web but since it is not always handy when we need it, I thought this might be a good place to throw in a bit of testing info.
First step when the thermister fails may be to know that it has a "backup" system to cripple you along until you can do the real fix. But before rushing out to buy the thermistor, try doing this simple test, perhaps?
Basic idea is that at 70-80 degrees we should see a resistance of around 10,000 ohms and if we stick it in a bucket of ice we should see the reading go to something like 30-32,000 if we get it down to 32 degrees. If your resistance doesn't change or is radically off these marks, you need a new one!
I did a computer snip of these readings and posted it in the frig manual as I assume it may come in handy----way long after I forget reading it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Norcold thermistor testing.JPG
Views:	282
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	170660  

Tags
generator, norcold, refrigerator