Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2020, 06:22 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

No trailer running lights

I have a 2004 Journey 34H. I have brake and signal light on the trailer but no marker lights. I have checked the fuses behind the electrical panel on the driver side. Also swapped relays...no luck. I checked the brown wire coming out of the fuse box for power. None. All these checks were the the key to the run position but not started. Headlights not on but markers on the coach on. I haven't checked input to the fuse box. How is this done? I'm almost out of ideas on what to check.
bjboles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 07:18 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

How many breaker/fuse panels are you aware of? My thought is that the trailer wiring is considered part of the chassis builder's part and not shown on the Winnebago drawings. I'm not a pusher guy, so may be totally out of it but I might look for a separate panel, perhaps under the front hood where I would expect to find the automotive electrical breakers and fuses. Found one with headlights and "normal" car items? I might expect it in that panel.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 08:03 PM   #3
2006 Itasca Meridian 39K

Here's a quote from an earlier posting, you might want to check these fuses:

On my Journey 34H the tow recepticle fuse block is located in the shoreline electrical bay, to the right behind sheet metal. The engine ECU is located here too. I would beleve it's in the same location on your Meridian. Take the sheet metal off to gain access (4-5 screws).
Wingchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 08:18 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Wingchop, yes I have located that panel, removed it, and checked fuses all to be good.
Old 09-24-2020, 02:56 PM   #5

bjboles: When you say "trailer" you don't mean tow trailer or toad, right? You mean the marker lights on your coach don't work, but your headlights do work?

Well, I have not had this problem, but I have read other posts the talk about:

* A dirty or failed head light switch? ...On my coach, the marker lights come on at the first stop position when I pull on that switch. (Cheap fix. And I would check this first.)

* Maybe your "smart wheel" has a relay problem? (More complex issue.) ...On my steering wheel the marker light button, on the right, is a momentary marker light flasher... I use to thank/signal other drivers.

* Did your Journey come with a Keyless Entry System (KES)? ...My Horizon
did, but the SCS-Frigette KES control box a piece of s**t. My point is that if you do have a auto locking system (with FOBs) then it has a relay tied into your marker lights. So maybe one of these relays are a factor? IDK, but this is probably not the problem since relays also isolate multiple power sources. ...I bring it up, because you need to think about everything that biases your marker lights to address a no-power source problem, including fuses and relays (which are just switches).

Side note: If you have a broken SCS-Frigette KES don't bother fixing it. Instead you can upgraded to a new Avital KES for less than $50 and you will get 2 new fobs.

Here's the link to that KES upgrage project, which may or may not address your marker light issue, but I can tell you that you will like having a FOB again!

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/hel...-a-333114.html

Please let us know what fixes your problem and take pictures if possible.
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 03:32 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingchop View Post
Here's a quote from an earlier posting, you might want to check these fuses:

On my Journey 34H the tow recepticle fuse block is located in the shoreline electrical bay, to the right behind sheet metal. The engine ECU is located here too. I would beleve it's in the same location on your Meridian. Take the sheet metal off to gain access (4-5 screws).
This sounds like a definite good point as I had no idea how being a pusher would change the chassis wiring locations. Makes sense they would be closer to the engine.
You've mentioned checking the brown wire coming out of the fuse box and found no power. Are you seeing the brown wire at the trailer connection and feel it is the power feed from the fuse? Not saying it isn't but trying to see what you are seeing and chasing? Much of the Winnebago wiring now comes with an ID stamped on the side of wires so that we can refer to a list for a description of where that wire comes from and goes to. No chance this brown wire has an ID on it like this?
Also can we check that what you are looking for on the connector/plug in is this so that you are looking for power for running lights on pin 3?
It might also be worth a look at the wiring bundle to see it there might have been any changes made by former owners? There are times when start chasing a brown wire which somebody has tied to a blue, etc and tucked in out of sight!
What I'm getting at is that it might be worth the time to test that the brown you see is the same brown on the other end where you are looking? Possible that the brown out of a trailer connection might be tied to some other color in the chassis wiring and we would only know that if we had the drawings---which is what we don't have!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wire ID.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	175140   Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer conn.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	175141  

Old 09-25-2020, 05:15 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the replies. All of the coach lights work perfect. The seven pin connector pin #3 (trailer running lights) has no power at the pin. All other trailer lights function normal. I then found a place where the harness was tied into the main harness and found no power to the brown wire on the main harness. I then proceeded to use the test light and test the brown wire coming out of the fuse box behind the panel mentioned in front of the driver side rear wheel. No power there either. Fuse labelled MRK appears good and I swapped with a known good fuse. Still no power. I'm not sure what color the wire is that feeds power to that circuit to test incoming power.
Old 09-25-2020, 09:55 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Good info on what you are finding and it might be getting close to the problem but I need to verify some as I am guessing without seeing the panel.
I did a drawing to show what I understand and need you to check me?
I think that lots of panels have a connection to the power source and that power often comes into a panel as a "main" breaker or fuse which feeds a bus bar and then other smaller fuses come off that bus bar to feed a number of other circuits on the RV. Pretty close to what we have in houses as there is a main and then sub feeds.
If I understand correctly you will see one larger fused portion and most of the circuits coming off the bus bar are working but the brown which you think is the light feed is NOT getting power. I drew them as different colors but since you have verified that the brown fuse is good but no power coming out, is this panel built in a way that you can see why there is power on the bus but not getting to the fuse/breaker?
It seems like that is the big problem but it's also quite right to tell me my thought on the panel is not right at all!!!
It's easy for me to be totally wrong when not having seen the panel, so tell me. I'm a big boy and been wrong lots of times!
A picture of the panel might be a big help if you can snag one easy enough?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fuse.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	175158  
Old 09-25-2020, 10:48 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Morich. I will take a picture of the fuse box panel when I get home after work and post pictures of what I have tested so far. below is a picture i found online that is identical to my fuse panel for the trailer wiring. I tested the brown wire on this connector which i believe is post fuse.
Old 09-25-2020, 11:39 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Morich,

I will get a picture of the fuse box and all the checks that I have performed thus far. I took a image that was online to try and show what mine looks like but i couldnt get it to upload.
Old 09-25-2020, 12:39 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

picture

picture of fuse box and brown wire. From internet not my fuse box but identicalClick image for larger version

Name:	fues.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	175162
Old 09-25-2020, 01:40 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Not something I have seen of that type before, so little help on what you might find, just some guesses as how it might work. What I expect to find is larger, heavier wires like what I think I see on the right, bringing in different circuits like some that are on all the time, some on only when the key is on, etc. and those feeding different bus bars inside. And then there may be different bus bars with different numbers of breakers or fuses. How each is built is different all the time, so no idea what it looks like inside. Maybe something you can see or maybe just a hidden jumble?
I did some pictures to explain what I "think" you may need to look at real close. These are taken from the Winn. drawings for a 12 bolt fuse or breaker panel on your RV but not what you are looking at now, as we don't get that good info. even though it would be great! But the idea of what to look for is the same, just we have to do more guessing.
Click the pictures to get a better view.
The basic idea in the first pic is that there are two circuits in this panel with two bus bars (1&2) that have big 6 gauge wires bringing power in to each bar, then on number one, it shows a circuit JA on a circuit breaker that feeds out on the group of small wires.
When we get a wire or circuit called JA, we can go to this chart of wire ID to find where and what JA does:
https://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram...ical_guide.pdf

If you were chasing a problem on your water pump and found wire labeled JA, you would be able to tell it fed from the fuse to the water pump!
BIG help but we don't get that on the trailer wiring.
But if you have power to that bus bar and everything else on that bar is working, but not getting power coming out of the panel on JA, you have to see why and that's where the big red question mark comes into the talk!

Hope all this doesn't sound like talking down to you if you already knew this! Just quicker to get it all down in one post than to wonder if I just confused the dickens out of you to the point you want to quit.
Read and use what you feel fits and feel free to ignore as much as you don't need!!
If you've got power going in but not coming out of the panel, you should be close if you have the right brown wire ID'd.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wirefuse.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	175165   Click image for larger version

Name:	wire fuse id.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	175166  

Old 09-25-2020, 02:22 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I think this is making sense. If I can find some marking on the brown wire and continue to chase it back to the feeds, I may find my problem. There hopefully is some more marking on the grey connector wires that feed the fuse box image i provided too. I will take a look tonight or this weekend and report back. Thanks again for the help!!
Old 09-25-2020, 03:35 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

The frustrating thing is that the auto portion of the wiring is not done the way the Winnebago portion and we may not find any marking that we can decode!

Does anybody with the same Rv want to verify that he is looking at the correct breaker?
that would take a bit of playing with the trailer plug to see if the voltage on pin three did actually go away when the correct breaker was found.

Right now, I fully admit that I do not find the correct info to say which fuse or breaker is correct or even that it is the right panel as we do not get the really good info needed. That leaves it in a bit more guessing than really feels good.
But the best that can be done until better shows up?
I'm certainly open to a better idea and I'm sure BJ is as he is the one digging through the big bus looking for a needle in the haystack!
Old 09-25-2020, 05:53 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

So more testing tonight. I have no power to what I think is the feed (smaller gauge) wire. #46 brown wire. I now have to figure out where that goes. I'm assuming up towards the other fuse panel by the generator.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_20200925-184749_Gallery.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	221.1 KB
ID:	175168  
Old 09-25-2020, 06:18 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Also, it's a freightliner chassis.
Old 09-25-2020, 07:12 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

Ouch! That puts it into an area where I can hardly spell freight! I've never even looked for a book on those, but I might guess it is even harder to get the wiring info on them as they are pretty much over into the commercial stuff where it is rare to DIY much.
Is that a nick in the wire that you circled?
Not a spot where it has been damaged so that the wire is open inside the insulation?
Just hoping for an easy fix!
Old 09-25-2020, 07:49 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

I may just try powering that small brown wire with a separate power supply and see if I get power to the 7 pin trailer connector marker lights
Old 09-25-2020, 08:06 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjboles View Post
I may just try powering that small brown wire with a separate power supply and see if I get power to the 7 pin trailer connector marker lights
YES! Excellent thought. If you have a 12 volt point in that panel, it might be easy to just use a small wire from the hot point to the brown wire and see if it comes out where you want it!
OR---If you put a jumper from pin 5 to pin 3 on the trailer plug in and turn on the left turn to look for flashing power coming and going at the brown wire, the flashing on/off would tell for sure you were finding the right 12volts as the turn signal comes and goes.
Depends which way may be easier but good idea to verify before getting too far.
Old 09-25-2020, 08:16 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

I found a brown wire toward the front of the coach at the main chassis fuse panel that powers on and off with the dash switch. If my test works I may just string a wire from the front to the back fuse panel small brown wire

Tags
light, lights