Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-02-2009, 03:00 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Our rear tv has gone silent. When working, sound comes from both the tv and speakers overhead of bed. Now, nada. Tv is otherwise working fine. I've gone thru all the tv settings multiple times.

I'm thinking maybe a connector or something jossled loose or something. But why would the tv speakers be dead too?

Had a friend look at taking it out(I'm in a w/c and can't), but he couldn't find any starting point. Anybody know the trick? It is corner mounted with cabinet all around.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:42 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Is there a way to do a factory reset on the TV? What's behind the TV? Any chance there is an access panel from the other side?
rjf7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 03:50 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

McDuff ...I have the same rig. I've had my TV out, but don't recall what the connections are on the back.

On the underside of the cabinet is a light mounted in a thin plywood sheet. Around the edges of the plywood are small screws holding it to the cabinet. Remove the screws and the panel will drop down. Behind that panel, and on the bottom of the cabinet, you will find a large nut toward each side of the front of the TV. Loosen those nuts (or just one probably) and that will loosen the metal strap over the tv enough that it can be pulled out of the cabinet.

Let us know what you find out in case I need to know how to fix mine in the future!!

Do I recall you are in the Dallas area? We are near Rockport, and headed for Round Rock next week.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:48 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

MdDuff -- As I understand it you don't have any sound coming from either the TV, or the overhead speakers. If you still have the original RCA TV it has a "secondary audio program" (SAP) capability.

I replaced my TV, so I'm doing this from a really poor memory, but as I recall you can accidently put the TV in the SAP mode by pressing a button on the upper right portion of the remote control. In fact, the button may be labeled SAP.

If the stations are you receiving do not transmitt a SAP, such as spanish, then you hear nothing.... silence. Press the button and the TV should cycle thru the various SAP modes... ensure it is in the Primary mode. I had sound on only one channel and blamed the other stations for several days until I figured out the TV was in SAP mode and I was accidently hitting this stupid button.

Let us know if this was it!!
Roadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 06:52 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Mcduff -- to remove the TV, there is a steel band around the front edge of the TV. This band is secured from the bottom of the cabinet via to large bolts/nuts. Open the cabinet and look under the front edge and you will see the two 1/2" bolts. Loosen these two bolts and with some difficulty the heavy TV can be slide forward and out. Once out, take TV to recycling center and replace with light weight, LCD - HDTV!!! Post below may be cause of your "NO sound" problem.
Roadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 07:36 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Thanks folks!

rjf7g - do not see any front panel reset type hole or button.

AFChap - long time ol' pal! Yes we are in Dallas. We were not far from you 2 weeks ago, we were camped on Matagorda Island for a couple days. We are planning on being in Austin the 13-15th, got to be home sunday night, got a Dr. appt monday a.m. Maybe we can hookup this time.

I just had my wife go out and look, she says there aren't any screws in the underside panel of the cabinet, just a small trim rubber(plastic) all the way around. Could they be under that I wonder?

Roadking - good thought but I think I've tried that too, "think" I've tried every combo possible off the remote. But hey, I'll try again. My problem is I can't find anyway to get into the cabinet, shy of breaking the damn thing. I'm a tv junkie, so yeah I can see an LCD in my future, but not just yet, just want sound.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:40 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
she says there aren't any screws in the underside panel of the cabinet, just a small trim rubber(plastic) all the way around.
I presume we are talking about the underside of the cabinet ...looking straight upward from under the cabinet ... mine has the plastic edging on only one side of the thin plywood covering, with the screws just inside the boundary of the trim. Mine is a very early in the model year mfg ...I wonder if your plywood is stapled or tacked in place rather than held by screws?

I also find no sound settings in the menus for the original RCA TV, nor do I find any "sap" button on either of my original remotes.

We arrived at Round Rock today, at Old Settlers RV Park about 2.5 miles from I-35. We plan to depart on Mar 17, so if you get a chance drop by! (...not hard to find the '03 UA in the small RV park).
Old 03-18-2009, 11:41 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

My trip went well, except my hand controls screwed up(they are pneumatic) and my wife had to drive there and back. This is the 2nd trip she has had to do this, had two different failures. Considering she had never even towed anything in her life, much less drive the coach towing our van, she has done great, only needing my input on cornering and maneuvers. Nothing like trial by fire.

But I did have a friend get to the rear tv while in Austin. My underpanel was indeed stapled up there. We pulled the front edge loose and he could get to the 2 retaining bolts. But, about all we succeeded in finding was that it indeed appears that the sound portion of my tv has failed. All connections and wires looked good. :(

I have another old 19" tv sitting around, and on first measure, it appears that it will fit in almost perfectly. I think Winne must have done a mod to the tv's, there is a stereo mini-jack in the rear that is connected and wired to the speakers over our head on bed. We plan on adding the same jack to this other tv, and waallaa, just like new. we hope.

Sorry we didn't meetup AfChap, it went all too fast.