Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-07-2021, 10:34 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

No Shore power being accepted

We have a 2009 Winnebago Journey 37h. The shore power is not being accepted by the coach however the generator air conditioning everything runs correctly. I'm told that a transfer switch could be the issue. Is there a reset on it I can't find one here's a picture of what I believe the transfer switch is.
Shore power based on the surge protector is operating correctly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210607_084949524.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	228.9 KB
ID:	179384  
kimenker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 10:45 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

No, that's not your transfer switch. That's a Progressive Industries EMS, a smart surge protector with extra features. It should be connected to a monitor panel, which might give you more info (i.e. is it even seeing the shore power, problems with the shore power that is causing it to terminate power etc.)
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 12:01 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Found it thanks Model ATS 501 and I'm heading to Vegas to get one.
Old 06-07-2021, 12:18 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

If the surge suppressor indicates good power, the transfer switch could be the problem. It bases this on incoming power so you want to make sure that power is getting to the output side. You can open up the surge suppressor and check it there or you can check it at the input side of the transfer switch.

You've probably located the transfer switch, but, if not, it's in a metal box and should be wired to the output side of the surge protector. Open the transfer switch (with shore power disconnected) and look for charred, broken or disconnected wires. You should also tighten all connections now and annually from now on. Once that's done, you can turn on the power and carefully use your multimeter to see if power is getting through it to the output.

Here's a link to the wiring diagram for the transfer switch and load center (breaker box):

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ire_166499.pdf

It's a good idea to download all the applicable guides and diagrams from here so you'll have them even though you might not have internet access. The links also can be broken from time to time when Winnebago updates their website:

https://www.winnebago.com/owners/own...s-and-diagrams
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 12:31 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thank you good information I'll give it a try
Old 06-08-2021, 08:19 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I have bought a new transfer switch the wiring verbiage is different than the 501 transfer switch it's the new 503 that's where my problem comes in I'm not sure which wire goes to what I'll send pictures.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20210607_152815761.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	316.2 KB
ID:	179417  
Old 06-08-2021, 08:21 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

New switch

Here is the new one
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20210607_152410272_HDR.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	339.6 KB
ID:	179418  
Old 06-08-2021, 09:37 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

First, do you know the ATS is at fault or are you replacing it to see if it's the problem? Not that this is a bad approach, these things do fail with age and even if replacement isn't necessary now, it may be in the near future.

All of the terminals on each one are labeled. The new ones aren't as conveniently located and are spread out. For example, the generator terminals are spread out from the far left to the far right rather than being clustered on the left. Hopefully there's enough slack in the cables to expose more wire to reach every thing. I had to do this on mine and a firm, steady tug gave me more cable length. Why they made this change is beyond me. My preference is to not cut any of the wires in case you need to do this again with a different ATS requiring different wire lengths. Hopefully there's enough room in the case for the excess length.

The names of the terminals might be a little different but you should be able to make a list cross-referencing between the two. For example, "Line" on your old ATS = "Utility" on your new one. Therefore Line L1 = Utility L1 and so on. I think the rest are the same old vs. new.

Make sure you label each wire before you remove it so there's no confusion as to where it goes. This is especially important with the generator with it's two white wires. Your generator's ground wire can be connected to any of the ground lugs on your new ATS since they're all grounded to the case.

Here's a photo of a 501 without the wires in the way so you can see all the terminal names in order to match them to the 503 before removing any wires:

After you're finished, triple check everything, including that all terminal screws are tight, before you plug in to power.
Old 06-08-2021, 09:52 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Do you mean to tell me that Jen L1 at the far left side and then Jen l2 in the center all come from the far right side where the generator posts are located? As well as gin neutral and Jen auxiliary those would be on the far right side if I'm not mistaken?
Old 06-08-2021, 09:53 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Gen not Jen
Old 06-08-2021, 10:09 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

I'm not sure what you're asking, we may be looking at left and right differently. In your first photo, the gen wires are all clustered at the top. In my recent post, I called this the left. All four generator wires are conveniently clustered together.

In the new ATS, the generator terminals are spread out from the far left to the far right. The Line terminals on the old one are clustered in the middle. On the new one, they're labeled Utility and are spread out left to right. The Load terminals, clustered on the right on the old one are also spread out left to right on the new one.
Old 06-08-2021, 10:23 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Switch question

Okay I think I have it
Black Gen L1 is on the left
White auxiliary Gen is the Gen auxiliary on the right
White Gen neutral is Gen neutral on the right
Red gen L2 is in the center gen L2
Old 06-08-2021, 11:31 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

To further clarify, it's the label that matters, not the location of the terminal or the cable. I don't know what's written on the blue tape but I'd make new labels for everything and leave them on for future reference. I've listed these in the order they're located in the old ATS for clarity.

In the new ATS, all the L1s are together, then all the L2s, then all the Neuts, and then the Auxs. Note that only the Gen Aux is utilized.

Gen L1 = Gen L1 (Black)
Gen Aux = Gen Aux (White*)
Gen Neut = Gen Neut (White)*
Gen L2 = Gen L2 (Red)
Gen Ground = Gen Ground (Green) (unlabeled in old ATS, "Equipment Ground Lug" in new ATS)

* Make sure you label these two white wires carefully before removing from the old terminals so you don't get them mixed up.

Line L2 = Utility L2 (Red)
Line L1 = Utility L1 (Black)
Line Neut = Utility Neut (White)

Load L2 = Load L2 (Red)
Load L1 = Load L1 (Black)
Line Neut = Line Neut (White)

Let me know if this isn't clear.
Old 06-08-2021, 12:21 PM   #14

These wire diagrams were sent to me by Parallax re ATS-503.

OP: Can you tell us what type of relays are used in your new 100A ATS-503?

Are they Deltrol Controls Relays? What are the part numbers?

Thank you for looking.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ATS503 Terminal Connections2.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	179422   Click image for larger version

Name:	ATS501 vs ATS503 Layout Inside.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	179423  

Name:	ATS503 Terminal Connections.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	347.0 KB
ID:	179424  
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 02:54 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I connected everything as indicated prior to this message and it illuminated and came on however almost later it was shut off. Then it would turn back on run for about 30 seconds and shut off again. It was never a code other than EO on the GMS so I packed up and we're headed back to Vegas
Old 06-08-2021, 03:52 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimenker View Post
I connected everything as indicated prior to this message and it illuminated and came on however almost later it was shut off. Then it would turn back on run for about 30 seconds and shut off again. It was never a code other than EO on the GMS so I packed up and we're headed back to Vegas
Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 06-08-2021, 07:23 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Lete start by saying you are a very helpful person, thank you! Yes everything worked well. Job done
Old 06-08-2021, 07:24 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Yes all worked well, job completed. Thank you.
Old 06-08-2021, 07:26 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

The generator breaker was also not producing electric, because the breaker was tripped. All wiring was done correctly by you help. Again thanks
Old 06-14-2021, 07:49 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

We have an 2014 Itasca Ellipse 42QD. We are currently going through the same problem. I found that a couple of wires inside the transfer switch on the input side burned causing the lug on the black wire to detach. It also scorched the insulation on every incoming wire and melted through the green wire insulation. Needless to say, the black wire insulation is mostly gone.
I was able to find a direct replacement transfer switch (I hope) online, a TRC Model 41260 that should be here Tuesday. I also plan to replace the leads from the cable from the power cord reel to the transfer switch. Although this is a straight forward replacement, it's in a tight spot so might prove to be tricky.
Since it was probably a loose lug that caused the initial failure, I plan to check them on as part of my maintenance plan.
keyshus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, shore power