Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2014, 06:04 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Skype™ to BlueLine
No Right turn Signal and Flashers

I have a 1999 Adventurer diesel pusher on a Freightliner frame. Prior to a return on last weeks venture I lost the right side turn signal plus the overall emergency flashers. The problem seems to be isolated to the right side. I do have parking and lights clearance lights all around. Prior to the loss I always got the right turn arrow indication on my instrument cluster each time I would apply the brake and the signals worked fine also. However this past trip I did use the emergency flashers and forgot to turn them off for about 30 minutes. I've checked under the dash and found a flasher canister on the lower right corner of the fuse panel so I replaced it hoping that was the problem. That did not correct the problem. I also checked the 15A Fuse for Turn/Bkup lights, fuse was good. I also have magnetic based lights that plug into the coach trailer harness for the TOAD but the same problem, nothing on the right side. I'm at a loss. I also checked the bulbs front and back on the right side, all good. Should I look elsewhere or what other troubleshooting tests can I do to track the problem down.
BlueLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 07:11 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Have you tried to unplug the magnetic based lights that plug into the coach? Then check that plug on the coach side. I had a weird electrical problem on a 97 Freightliner chassis. Turned out to the trailer plug was corroded and shorting. I also had a problem with the plug further down the line from the trailer plug.
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 09:08 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Most likely a bad fuse in the trailer fuse box used on many Freightliner chassis.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/repo...ney-73279.html

Could also be the relay in the box.

Finding the box can be a challenge this post http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/trai...tml#post191966 used the 4-way flashers to locate the box but you may have to use your left signal flasher.

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 09:20 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I had a short in my trailer wiring -- popped a 20amp fuse in the coach. Coach turn signals and flashers still worked, but nothing on the trailer. Found an isolated fuse box at the very back of the coach with about 6 fuses in it. Hard to find. Trace the wiring from the harness connection and you'll get there. Once you find the fuse is blown, then you need to track down the root cause for the blown fuse (it's prolly not in the motorhome). Hope that helps. \ken
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 09:31 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

If you can go back to 4/29/14 owners section, I had a similar problem with both my signal lights not working. The emergency flashers work, but no left or right signal..........if I selected the left or right, and played with the signal lever, I could get it to work, but you had to hold it in that exact position for it to continue to flash.
Had to have it replaced by a commercial truck repair facility.....they ordered the part from workhorse overnited it, and was good to go the next day.
corjaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 10:50 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I have a 98 winn and it sat for 5+ years before I bought it. The turn signal didn't work most of the time. And I found the turn signal switch contacts were corroded. I kinda cleaned them with a cleaner spray to get them to work. But in the long run - the switch will need to be replaced.
Old 06-21-2014, 01:32 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Skype™ to BlueLine
Appreciate everyone's input. The flasher assembly on the 1999 Adventurer is under the flip up dashboard in the cockpit on the left side. I had renewed the flasher but it still wasn't working. Checked fuses under the front hood and found a Large Black Box left side labeled Battery Fuses and Relays, fuses checked OK. Returned to the cockpit and removed the cover on the steering to get access to the turn signal assembly, all connections looked tight re plugged the turn signal canister in and could hear the ticking but still only had the left side. Traced the wiring from the Turn Signal Lever back up under the quagmire under the dash and found a plug in assembly, attempted to unplug the assembly and in doing so both flasher indicators on the instrument panel lit up. Checked right and left positions on the signal lever and they now responded, also applying the brake gave me a right turn light on the panel as before. Typical 12V problem no doubt (Corrosion). I can rest now, envisioned hours of searching. Thanks to the replys, they provided a lot of learning for me. Still amazed finding in line fuses, plug-ins and relays everywhere.
BlueLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 06:04 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Congratulations. Feels good doesn't it?
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote