Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2012, 11:17 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Question no power unless hooked to shore power

another request for help from a new rv'er. 1995 Itasca 29rq 454 engine. Starts and runs good but I only have power to any coach lights, recpt's. unless I am hooked up to shore power,then everything is fine. What should I check?

thanks Ken
ken551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:22 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Check your coach batteries with a volt meter first, then clean and check all battery connections. Also see if the battery disconnect switch is turned on for the coach batteries.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:22 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

First thing I would check is that your house power switch (usually by the door) that will probably be labeled "aux battery" or something like that is on. Check that then get back to us.
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:55 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDchief View Post
First thing I would check is that your house power switch (usually by the door) that will probably be labeled "aux battery" or something like that is on. Check that then get back to us.
Ditto!
2003 Winne Adventurer, Ford F53 V-10. Toad:1992 S-10, Road Master Falcon 2 Tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system and Protect-a-Tow. Right is right even if no one is doing it; Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it--St Augustine of Hippo. Navy AD.
navychaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:58 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Can we back up here a minute? When you say you only have power when plugged into shore what exactly do you mean? Say you turn on the ceiling lights (12V system) when not plugged in, do they work or do they only work when on shore power? There are two separate systems DC 12V and 110V AC. If 12V works plugged into shore but not unplugged it doesn't have anything to do with the House Batt shutoff. IF only AC comes and goes with shore power then it could be the shutoff switch or something more serious. More details as to what works and doesn't work will help.
Indy Itasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 02:32 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Normal 110VAC operation requires either a shore power or the generator. You might have a small inverter to power the TV / Entertainment system.

Coach 12VDC operation - There should be a AUX BATT switch on the dash on the left side of the steering wheel (below AUX START switch). This operates the Coach Battery disconnect relay in the front electrical box.

Wiring diagrams: Table of Contents

Operators Manual (AUX battery switch pdf page 32): http://www.winnebagoind.com/resource.../95Sunrise.pdf

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 03:10 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Sounds to me like two things are going on here. One your house battery is dead if your 12 volt lights only work when plugged in. And two, sounds like you are expecting the 120 volt outlets to work when you are not plugged in or the generator is not running. The 12 volt lights work off of the house battery or the converter which changes 120 VAC to 12 VDC. If you only have lights when plugged in, the battery is dead and the converter is powering up the lights. And, like I said, the AC outlets will only work when plugged in or if the genny is running.
mahon1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:55 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken551 View Post
another request for help from a new rv'er. 1995 Itasca 29rq 454 engine. Starts and runs good but I only have power to any coach lights, recpt's. unless I am hooked up to shore power,then everything is fine. What should I check?

thanks Ken
Hey Ken,

Have you got an update on your problem?
2003 Winne Adventurer, Ford F53 V-10. Toad:1992 S-10, Road Master Falcon 2 Tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system and Protect-a-Tow. Right is right even if no one is doing it; Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it--St Augustine of Hippo. Navy AD.
navychaps is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power