Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2019, 04:50 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

No Power to TV 120V sockets SOLVED!!!

I find one of the fun things about acquiring a new toy is learning how to use it. Recently I asked for help diagnosing why my TV outlets had no power when hooked to shore.

After flipping different things on and off I discovered that the aftermarket inverter was putting power to those two outlets only. So, the inverter must be ON to power the TV's (or their respective outlets) even when connected to shore power. This kind of makes sense based on the OP's use of the RV and the aftermarket nature of the solar components. When boondocking, the solar panel charges the batteries for 12VDC, and the inverter allows for use of the TV's on that 120VAC circuit. If I need 120V for something else I will need to start the gen set or plug whatever it is in to one of the TV outlets.

Not the most ideal setup, but it works to provide 120V power off grid if I need it.
Old 05-30-2019, 06:45 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Later model Winnebagos with factory installed inverters have a transfer switch so the the TVs will run off of shorepower when present, or the inverter when needed. You can buy inverters with transfer switches, obviously yours doesn't have that feature.

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 08:09 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tderonne View Post
Later model Winnebagos with factory installed inverters have a transfer switch so the the TVs will run off of shorepower when present, or the inverter when needed. You can buy inverters with transfer switches, obviously yours doesn't have that feature.
Obviously. Nor do I really need one to do that. Neither my wife, or I, watch much TV, so flipping a switch from OFF to ON in order to do so doesn't create any real hassle for either of us. I'm just glad it is working as designed, no matter how primitive it may be.

Tags
power