Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2020, 07:16 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

No power to house

All,

I have a 2007 winnebago access wf222b. My house battery was almost dead so I decided to charge it. Well I did not disconnect the red or black wire prior to recharging the battery. Now I have no power to the house. I tried a new battery and even plugging it in to my house power but still no power. I checked all the circuit breakers and fuses and they are all not tripped and or not blown. I have cycled the on off switch and do hear the relay click when pushed on and off.
I am at a loss now.
This is only affecting the house electrical.
Any advice would be appreciated. I know I should have just changed the battery but this is how I charge car batteries (without issue) and I thought it would work the same.

Thank you in advance
Brian
moparbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 07:47 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I did check the engine battery and when the RV is running it is 14.4 volts. I checked the house (cabin) battery. It is 12.2 volts with and without the engine running. No change in voltage.
Old 11-23-2020, 08:11 PM   #3

I'm confused.

Are you saying your Cabin power is supplied by solar/battery power grid?

...Is there an inverter involved in your cabin power system? Not that it should matter.

I have no idea why your RV battery charger would trip breakers in your cabin, but it might have something to do with your charger shorting out -- or when you ran a long extension cord to the RV and the circuit could not handle the added resistance. This is why you should use a 12 gauge extension cord when you tether your RV to your cabin/house 25-50' away.

Any chance your neighborhood just had a brown out and that your neighbor's power is off too?

==> I would recommend you manually flip off, and then back on, the cabin MAIN circuit breakers. These are typically are positioned horizonal on the top of your circuit breaker panel.

==> If you do not have power to these breakers in your cabin circuit panel, then I suppose it is possible the line-in to your meter blew; but again I can't believe it is related to powering up a 10A charger?

Note: All those 15A, 20A, 30A breakers only protect the black "hot" wire. Maybe someone else can tell you where to look or what to do if you got a spike on the white neutral line?

...And then you can call your power company to come check the "line-in" to you house if all else fails.
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 08:24 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnprsd View Post
I'm confused.

Are you saying your Cabin power is supplied by solar/battery power grid?

...Is there an inverter involved in your cabin power system?

==> The main breaker may be monitoring (protecting) the white neutral line; and while you may not think it tripped... it may have. So I would recommend you manually flip off and then back on these 2 large circuit breakers that typically are positioned horizonal on the top of your circuit breaker panel.

Note: All those 15A, 20A, 30A breakers only protect the black "hot" wire.

These are just some general comments, because I have no idea why your RV battery charger would trip breakers in your house, but it might have something to do with your charger shorting out, because the RV battery is a 12V system.
Hello and thanks for the reply.

I do not have solar. I plugged the RV into my house electrical through a short extension cord to see if the cabin lights and stuff would come on. It does not. Also with a new battery in the cabin the lights and stuff does not come on.
Old 11-23-2020, 08:24 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I used the wrong term.
Old 11-23-2020, 09:04 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

UPDATE:

I connected an external generator to the RV and the lights and all accessories came on in the cabin. The battery still does not work. It is new and I verified again that it is not being charged when the RV is running. I ordered a new solenoid only because I can hear the relay open and close when switching the AUX switch on and off.
Please let me know if this sounds like a good plan.

Thank you
Old 11-24-2020, 01:30 AM   #7

Sound like I confused your use of cabin with house and shore power. Sorry about that. ...Now it sounds like you are on the right track. Let us know if replacing your Battery Disconnect Solenoid (BDS or aka Salesman's Switch) fixes your problem?

What type of RV (year, make, model) are you working on?

FYI.... I carry a short battery cable to jump the left pole of the solenoid to the right pole just in case the solenoid fails.

I also carry a 36" long battery cable to jump the coach house batteries to the engine battery in the event the engine alternator fails. This happened to me once, and I avoided a 50 mile tow, because if your engine battery drops below the ECM voltage then your engine will stall out. ...Of course your alternator light will come on first, but that's the time you want to jump the + post of the house battery to the + post of the engine battery. Doing this allowed me to drive to a service repair station and avoid a tow. So I now recommend this to everyone!

Battery cables cost less than $10 at Walmart so I consider it cheap tow insurance.
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 03:19 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

As far as the power from gen or house. I believe you said that you plugged into the house via a extension cord. Did you plug into standard 120 outlet? If so you may have tripped the house's GFCI outlet. I would take a meter and make sure you have power at the end of the extension cord.

There may be a external circuit breaker between the battery and the rest of the system. I am not very good at reading wiring diagrams but this may help.

Table of Contents
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 09:43 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnprsd View Post
Sound like I confused your use of cabin with house and shore power. Sorry about that. ...Now it sounds like you are on the right track. Let us know if replacing your Battery Disconnect Solenoid (BDS or aka Salesman's Switch) fixes your problem?

What type of RV (year, make, model) are you working on?

FYI.... I carry a short battery cable to jump the left pole of the solenoid to the right pole just in case the solenoid fails.

I also carry a 36" long battery cable to jump the coach house batteries to the engine battery in the event the engine alternator fails. This happened to me once, and I avoided a 50 mile tow, because if your engine battery drops below the ECM voltage then your engine will stall out. ...Of course your alternator light will come on first, but that's the time you want to jump the + post of the house battery to the + post of the engine battery. Doing this allowed me to drive to a service repair station and avoid a tow. So I now recommend this to everyone!

Battery cables cost less than $10 at Walmart so I consider it cheap tow insurance.

I have a 2007 winnebago access wf222b
Old 11-24-2020, 09:45 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by be happy View Post
As far as the power from gen or house. I believe you said that you plugged into the house via a extension cord. Did you plug into standard 120 outlet? If so you may have tripped the house's GFCI outlet. I would take a meter and make sure you have power at the end of the extension cord.

There may be a external circuit breaker between the battery and the rest of the system. I am not very good at reading wiring diagrams but this may help.

Table of Contents
Unfortunately I used the wrong term. House was meant to mean RV cabin. I found that the 30 amp to standard 110 outlet adapter was faulty in that case. I still not not know why the solenoid would prevent power to the RV cabin though.
Old 11-24-2020, 04:09 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Well my issue turned out to be a faulty "AUX" switch. It must have failed in the "OFF" position. I replaced it and I am back in business.

Thank you all for your help.

Brian
Old 11-24-2020, 06:34 PM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

No shore power to house

Had this problem on my 2012 era. Replaced the automatic/line generator switch which controls power from generator/shore and battery sources
Fixer the problem. $125 on line
Evergro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power