Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-21-2020, 12:22 PM   #1
JEF
Winnebago Camper

No power to 12v house circuit breaker panel

We have a 1996 Class A Vectra model WCM34RA

The house batteries are charged but when we test the 12v circuit breaker panel, there is no power getting to it. We originally were looking to why our water pump was not receiving power, however, it now appears to be a bigger issue.

Recently while connected to shore power at a campsite, there was a fire from the shore power box which burned our surge protector and power cord. Not sure if something may have tripped a switch in the motorhome that has prevented the power from the batteries to the circuit breakers or not.

Any suggestions welcome.
JEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 12:46 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I like to first do some checking to divide the problem into smaller parts, working on easy to reach things first. First thought is that it is likely to need a meter for testing but a visual check can "sometimes" spot a problem.
Rather than get into the questions on the 110 AC part, the 12VDC is much easier to look over so I have done a small snip of the first parts of your coach 12V that would be used to power the pump.
Click this picture for a better view.

First I would want to know the coach batteries were good and connected through to the first breaker, and I have traced that out in red. So do you get 12VDC on the 6 amp breaker there?
Next, I want to check that power is getting through the battery cutoff switch by checking the yellow trace to the 40 and 30 amp breakers next to the 6 amp.
If yes on both of these, we may need to wade deeper into the RV but at the same time, more info on what the 110AC is doing may help.
You don't mention but I assume the power cord damage has been repaired?
Are all the things like microwave and 110 outlets working as they should?
Do a few checks and let us know what it looks like?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	power in.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	175897  
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 10:35 PM   #3
JEF
Winnebago Camper

Richard, thank you once again. You have given us some great info to check out. FYI, yes we have had the surge protector and power cord for our unit repaired.
I will let you know what we find when we dig into your suggestions.
JEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 07:25 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

As a next step, if you find low power at the coach batteries, it might be good to verify that the 110AC disruption did not make the converter trip a breaker or fuse on it as it is what charges the coach batteries.
What I'm finding on it is a little vague but you may know where and how to find it. This drawing is what I get for location and though to pass it along, as a way to speed the search. It looks to be on the right side and forward may 8-10 feet from the bedroom TV, possibly under a panel in a cabinet?? They leave us guessing on details at times!
If the batteries look down, check the converter for 110 AC going in and also that any GFCI, breaker ,etc. on it is not tripped?

EDIT: Better location on converter in second picture
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2002vectra.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	175902   Click image for larger version

Name:	2002 converter.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	175903  

Morich is offline   Reply With Quote